English Premier League 2019-20

The assistants are asked to hold their flag initially, but then still put it up at the end. I don't see why a change in protocol would affect that - they make the decision they think is correct.

In terms of the time taken, I don't think the "benefit of the doubt" will go in favour of the attacker, but rather in favour of the on-field decision. If an assistant gives it VAR has to quickly prove it's onside to overturn it, and if he doesn't give it then VAR has to quickly prove it's offside to overturn that.

I don't think having to make decisions quickly will solve the farcical offside calls. You'll just get the same wankers hurriedly drawing even shitter lines using the same camera angles.

Either the technology needs to be better or they factor in a margin of error when overturning decisions.

9 hours ago, Stevieda said:
10 hours ago, GordonS said:
The Wolves' offside was much too close to be confident about. Freeze it a couple of frames earlier and he looks onside. It's well within the margin of error.
Both decisions took far, far too long and paying fans were left waiting like mugs, with no idea what was going on. It bleeds the atmosphere out of the crowd.
I'm a big fan of TMO reviews in rugby, it's part of the drama because you see it on the big screen at the same time as the referee and you can get a ref link radio and listen to the decision being made if you want. It's also usually pretty quick. But VAR has been an abject failure in football so far.

How does TMO in rugby deal with marginal decisions? Maybe like forward passes?

I've seen decisions in rugby on forward passes and offside in rugby that I've disagreed with. But they don't have the pretence of a line placed on the image on the screen, they go by naked eye - if it doesn't clearly look offside they'll rarely decide that it is and usually the attacking side gets the benefit of the doubt. There's always an element of it being a judgment call though.

With regards to the camera angles Hawkeye have developed the technology to determine player positions from any camera angle. An interesting thread on the whole thing. Instill think VAR could work  but they have to completely change the way it is applied. I thought after Russia 2018 it worked pretty well I dont remember this many controversies then.

The referee had no grounds to stop play. He can only stop it if the ball hits him, not if he gets in the way of a player.

Course he can. There's some leeway allowing refs to make their own interpretation if something isn't specifically mentioned in the laws. It should be judged by whether it's "in the spirit of the game".

Edit: I'm assuming it doesn't say anywhere, "if you get in the way and the ball comes close to hitting you but doesn't, then play on".

23 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Course he can. There's some leeway allowing refs to make their own interpretation if something isn't specifically mentioned in the laws. It should be judged by whether it's "in the spirit of the game".

Edit: I'm assuming it doesn't say anywhere, "if you get in the way and the ball comes close to hitting you but doesn't, then play on".

Yeah I don't think there would have been any complaints from the opposition or the ref's assessor if he stopped play there, he obviously should have.  That rule will be updated to reflect that.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

The referee can technically stop the game whenever he wants, but getting in the way of players happens all the time and you never see the referee stopping the game for it, just as you never did previously when the ball hit them.

On your second point, the laws of the game aren't really there to tell you what you can do, they're mostly telling you what you can't do. It doesn't say "if a player stands still 43 yards from goal then play on" either.

So Booby Marley was sacked for making a joke about the disabled in a private text to one of his so called mates :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50960288?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_linkname=sport

I genuinely think an employer or whoever should be asking the context of a text like this and if it was within a provate conversation, should have no more to do with it. Disgusting that private one to one conversations can be used to beat people with to me. If a crime has been committed then take the message to the Police. Other than that, GTF with this.

I genuinely think an employer or whoever should be asking the context of a text like this and if it was within a provate conversation, should have no more to do with it. Disgusting that private one to one conversations can be used to beat people with to me. If a crime has been committed then take the message to the Police. Other than that, GTF with this.

Yeah I agree, but then again because of his position his employers had to do something about it. Who ever rated him out is the lowest of the low anyway but another sad example of the time’s we find ourselves in.