English Premier League 2019-20

Politics and sport don't mix. Neville is 100% correct in his assertion, but it's not the message Sky want to portray. I would normally think Neville might be for the high jump for going against his paymasters here, but if they do, that will fuel even more flames.
This one has legs.
Politics and sport are often intertwined - and the world has changed for the better because of it.

This is a pretty lazy point to hide behind.

f**k me thats absolutely horrific from Sky Sports man (David Jones? ). What an absolute bellend. 
Have to be honest, the more I see of Gary Neville the more I like him. Him challenging Sky man straight away was really good. 

Least he apologised. I presume getting whispered in the ear also...Screenshot_20191222-232157_Twitter.jpeg

Jones is a moron. Even taking that at face value - that's not what Neville said. 

Agreed. I don’t even think the problem with it was that he had to say “these aren’t the views of Sky” as everyone knows why he had to say that, but when Neville said “But you do agree with me don’t you” he was flustered, didn’t really say anything and made a total arse of it basically.

He could have agreed or even said what he did think, and qualified it by saying that they were his personal views and not those of Sky but he just said “his views aren’t important” (or something to that effect) and shut the discussion down.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Agreed. I don’t even think the problem with it was that he had to say “these aren’t the views of Sky” as everyone knows why he had to say that, but when Neville said “But you do agree with me don’t you” he was flustered, didn’t really say anything and made a total arse of it basically.

He could have agreed or even said what he did think, and qualified it by saying that they were his personal views and not those of Sky but he just said “his views aren’t important” (or something to that effect) and shut the discussion down.

I think he just panicked. Sports presenters aren't used to having to deal with serious issues, they are trained to make Watford v Stoke sound exciting, not oversee discussions about major social issues. So when he had racism and then politics brought into the discussion he had no idea what to say and was out his depth. Clearly he was told to say something in his ear, but he phrases it terribly.

His apology is also pretty sneaky, as a couple of people have mentioned Neville didn't blame anyone or say that the cause of racism was the political parties. All he said/implied was that the issue goes far wider than the world of football.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Politics and sport are often intertwined - and the world has changed for the better because of it.

This is a pretty lazy point to hide behind.

Anyone who has ever played in a sports team knows that sports and politics are hand in hand.

Sports and politics shouldn’t mix is used mainly to close down discussions which are either uncomfortable or challenging. Sometimes that’s fair enough, but this isn’t one of those times.