English Premier League 2019-20

Everton fans booing Aurier going off there but they’ll have only seen it in real time. I’ve watched it back and it’s hard to put too much blame on Son or Aurier. Son’s tackle was a bit of a reckless lunge but it looks like Gomes momentum and weight makes him go over his ankle causing the injury just before he collides with Aurier.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

A 'reckless' tackle is a yellow card, it's literally defined in the laws of the game.

A dangerous tackle is a red card, as defined in the laws of the game, and he also said it was that (which it was). He deliberately took out his opponent and that led directly to his injury.

Even when I was watching it live I thought "that's a bit wild, he might be lucky to stay on". If he had made a genuine attempt at the ball then fine, but he clearly didn't.

Edited by craigkillie

Everton fans booing Aurier going off there but they’ll have only seen it in real time. I’ve watched it back and it’s hard to put too much blame on Son or Aurier. Son’s tackle was a bit of a reckless lunge but it looks like Gomes momentum and weight makes him go over his ankle causing the injury before he collides with Aurier.
Hard to say if it was the weight Gomes put on his foot or Aurier colliding with his planted foot.
Either way I wouldn't put any blame on either of them.

Hard to say if it was the weight Gomes put on his foot or Aurier colliding with his planted foot.
Either way I wouldn't put any blame on either of them.

Aye it’s hard to tell. Think it’s safe to say Gomes momentum makes him go over on his ankle but hard to tell if his body weight or the end collision with Aurier causes the break. Looked horrendous though. Hopefully a speedy and full recovery for Gomes.

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think that was a red. He didn't make any attempt to play the ball, and it endangered the safety of the opponent. He didn't mean to injure him like that, but his sole aim was to stop the opponent, not to win the ball.

What utter fucking drivel. He has done nothing more than trip his opponent. You see those types of fouls several times in every game. What happened afterwards was a horrible accidental collision. The red will undoubtedly be rescinded.  

14 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

What utter fucking drivel. He has done nothing more than trip his opponent. You see those types of fouls several times in every game. What happened afterwards was a horrible accidental collision. The red will undoubtedly be rescinded.  

It was a deliberate foul with no attempt to play the ball. It wasn't just a trip - he lunged across to take him out. Again, there was absolutely no attempt to injure him or to do anything other than stop the player, but when you make challenges like that you run the risk of something like this happening.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was a deliberate foul with no attempt to play the ball. It wasn't just a trip - he lunged across to take him out. Again, there was absolutely no attempt to injure him or to do anything other than stop the player, but when you make challenges like that you run the risk of something like this happening.

How many deliberate fouls are made with no attempt to play the ball in an average game? the injury is horrendous but nothing to do with the initial challenge. His studs weren't up and there was no attempt to injure the player. It was never a red card foul. The ref gave him a yellow for the challenge. When he saw the injury he produced a red for some bizarre reason even though the contact for the actual injury was nothing to do with Son.