English Premier League 2019-20

Bizarre to see people saying Liverpool have this in the bag. There are 30 games to go and Liverpool have just scraped past Sheffield United and only beat Leicester yesterday because of a terrible penalty decision.

People often make the mistake of assuming a run of form will simply continue forever, yet Liverpool are playing like a side that is dropped points waiting to happen. A goalkeeping shocker and a poor last-minute penalty call have handed them four of their last six points.

Long, long, long way to go yet. Why do people feel compelled to 'call' things so early?

23 hours ago, Mastermind said:

seismic

14 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

extraordinary scoreline what a weekend

remarkable

12 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

steamroll

Some patter from mintermind.

Fair play to Liverpool, by miles the best side in the league and should win it by a handy amount. They've really got things right on the pitch. Shame about all their issues off it.

Edited by JMDP

Bizarre to see people saying Liverpool have this in the bag. There are 30 games to go and Liverpool have just scraped past Sheffield United and only beat Leicester yesterday because of a terrible penalty decision.
People often make the mistake of assuming a run of form will simply continue forever, yet Liverpool are playing like a side that is dropped points waiting to happen. A goalkeeping shocker and a poor last-minute penalty call have handed them four of their last six points.
Long, long, long way to go yet. Why do people feel compelled to 'call' things so early?

I think it’s generally just a) seethe at Liverpool being favourites now coupled with b) the EPL is potentially throwing up yet another new winner. They have to be bitter and try to put the league down about about something - if City were ahead it would be ‘one team league’ etc.

It’s really jealous/wee man syndrome from the ‘best league in the world’ brigade trying to write it off as over already. The seethe is delicious.

2 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

I think it’s generally just a) seethe at Liverpool being favourites now coupled with b) the EPL is potentially throwing up yet another new winner. They have to be bitter and try to put the league down about about something - if City were ahead it would be ‘one team league’ etc.

It’s really jealous/wee man syndrome from the ‘best league in the world’ brigade trying to write it off as over already. The seethe is delicious.

Dae ye aye?

Just now, Rab B Nesbit said:

What issues off it ? 

Racist abuse of opposition players. The treatment of their own young players leading to mental health issues, lying to one of their young players with regard to his future. Corporate scumbaggery trying to trademark a city name (following hot on the heels of previous corporate scummy behaviour). Their fans behaving disgracefully on European trips (thousands cheering a man masturbating in a public square, pushing people into fountains, etc).

I don't want to derail this with your attention seeking though.

It's funny the narratives people will try to spin.

Just heard Pat Nevin talking on Five Live about the breaks Liverpool have had recently and screeching "that's not luck!".

It is luck.

When a keeper chucks in a shocker to win you the game then a referee wrongly gives you a penalty in the 156th minute to win you the game, that is luck.

If it was March or April, Liverpool's recent run of being lucky to win games would be a great thing and would be handing them the league. But it's not March or April. It's October. Performances catch up with teams over a season, and Liverpool are looking vulnerable at the moment.

The winning-while-playing-badly cliche applies to teams who dig themselves out of bother, not teams handed wins by things largely out of their control. Liverpool are in a good position, of course. But there's thirty games left and they look like they can be got at. Plenty time for City yet.

Just now, JMDP said:

Racist abuse of opposition players. The treatment of their own young players leading to mental health issues, lying to one of their young players with regard to his future. Corporate scumbaggery trying to trademark a city name (following hot on the heels of previous corporate scummy behaviour). Their fans behaving disgracefully on European trips (thousands cheering a man masturbating in a public square, pushing people into fountains, etc).

I don't want to derail this with your attention seeking though.

:lol: 

Their fans behaving disgracefully on European trips (thousands cheering a man masturbating in a public square,

Is that the video where the guy in question is wearing cream trousers and sunglasses and there is a story of “what the f**k is going on?” ?

2 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

:lol: 

Again, I don't want to derail it.

Racism, public sex acts, mental health and corporate greed are funny though according to you.

Your team are by miles the best in the league and play great stuff. Enjoy it.

Just now, senorsoupe said:

People ready to hand the league to Liverpool in October clearly haven't been paying attention to Liverpool over the last 30 or so years

Exactly Senor. One game at a time. 8 down, 30 still to go :)

Just now, JMDP said:

Again, I don't want to derail it.

Racism, public sex acts, mental health and corporate greed are funny though according to you.

Your team are by miles the best in the league and play great stuff. Enjoy it.

Not at all. You picking up on every single negative from a club who have millions of followers all over the world and spinning your angle is embarrassing. 

I enjoy watching them win draw or lose. Could get used to this winning lark though :)

Liverpool have won the league before but anything that happened before 1992 doesn’t exist to EPL fan boys.

Liverpool have won the league before but anything that happened before 1992 doesn’t exist to EPL fan boys.
Yep. And tbf, the rest if his contributions are riddled with utter shite too. I cant think of any other league I have ever watched where watching it comes hand in hand with being force fed an advertising narrative about how amazing it is.

It is not mutually exclusive to watch and enjoy games of football whilst actively disliking an agenda driven narrative.

And, like you say, on the other side of that coin there is rampant fanboyism and sneering at other leagues when the same issues that exist even in Scotland, clearly exist in England.

Yep. And tbf, the rest if his contributions are riddled with utter shite too. I cant think of any other league I have ever watched where watching it comes hand in hand with being force fed an advertising narrative about how amazing it is.

It is not mutually exclusive to watch and enjoy games of football whilst actively disliking an agenda driven narrative.

And, like you say, on the other side of that coin there is rampant fanboyism and sneering at other leagues when the same issues that exist even in Scotland, clearly exist in England.
That's been the key to it's success. Sky sports watched and copied the NFL in the States - and the rest is history.

It's incredibly difficult for young people to really focus on the product and separate it from the surrounding hype. I'm 38 and still get hooked every now and then (and I genuinely couldn't give a f**k).

These marketing c***s know the game.