English Premier League 2019-20

44 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not saying I disagree with you but the league was more competitive back then.

At the moment there are 2 very good teams and 18 poor ones.

I also think when you look at the ‘Invincibles’ squad, they had more world class players than either City or Liverpool have at present. 

Just an opinion of course.

To add another dimension 3 of the "poor" 18 sides were in a European final last season.

Man City were the best team in the Premier league last season. 4 of the other 19 teams were in European finals.  I think it's a significant  leap of faith to say there were 18 poor teams last season.

All about opinion as you rightly say.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

To add another dimension 3 of the poor 18 sides were in a European final last season.

Man City were the best team in the Premier league last season. 4 of the other 19 teams were in European finals.  I think it's a significant  leap of faith to say there were 18 poor teams last season.

All about opinion as you rightly say.

I think Chelsea are in transition and are relying on young players due to their transfer ban.

Arsenal have been poor for years now and have shown little signs of improvement.

As for Spurs, how they got to the final is beyond me. They are awful this year.

I don’t think the English league is as good as a lot of people would like it to be.

I respect your opinion though mate, as you gave me the courtesy of respecting mines.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The invincibles got 90 points that season, a tally which has been bettered 7 other times in the Premier League era, including by Liverpool last season. Given they beat that points total last season comfortably, and that they are European Champions, it's clear they are better.

Not losing a league game was a great achievement, but their overall points tally wasn't exceptional and they drew almost 1 in every 3 matches. Liverpool and City are superior sides to that one, as great as it was.

They drew 5 of their last 9 matches once the title was basically in the bag and the main focus was on not losing games to maintain their unbeaten run. I'm not sure that either Liverpool or City would have reached the points tallies they did last season if there wasn't the other club there to keep spurring them on.

Edited by craigkillie

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I think Chelsea are in transition and are relying on young players due to their transfer ban.

Arsenal have been poor for years now and have shown little signs of improvement.

As for Spurs, how they got to the final is beyond me. They are awful this year.

I don’t think the English league is as good as a lot of people would like it to be.

I respect your opinion though mate, as you gave me the courtesy of respecting mines.

Cheers.

Aye it's an interesting discussion. Spurs are as you say awful just now.  They rode the breaks last season to get past city and Ajax

Arsenal are poor but the likes of Liverpool and City were poor when the invincibles were around. 

Anyway FWIW I think City need to win the Champions league to be classed as a great side.  it's a pity a really fine Arsenal side didn't win it but it's a gap in their CV that they didn't.

Edit to add the current Liverpool team need to win the league for the same reason.

Cheers.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They drew 5 of their last 9 matches once the title was basically in the bag and the main focus was on not losing games to maintain their unbeaten run. I'm not sure that either Liverpool or City would have reached the points tallies they did last season if there wasn't the other club there to keep spurring them on.

Very good point TBF.

What a finish to the game today :D

Leicester played well today but Liverpool got in front through a great goal from Mane and they should have killed it off inside the first hour. They definitely tired heading into the closing stages and Leicester took advantage equalising with their first shot on target at the Kop end. 

This Liverpool team just always seem to find a way to win games though and although I’ll see it back on MOTD in the morning Mane’s pace again made the difference getting there to win the late late penalty. 

Great composure from Milner and scenes in the home end. It kicked off a bit after the final whistle - Perez lost it and it was a wee bit frisky on the Anfield Road after but the police had it all under control. 

17 league wins in a row is just incredible been lucky to make them all. A nice wee 2 week break now after a hectic spell and then next up Old Trafford on Sunday 20th :)

24 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

The Arsenal title winning team from 2001/2002 were better than the invincibles.

I'd agree with that. However, I'd suggest the 97/98  team is better than them both. 

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Even if they had won 3 or 4 of those drawn games, which is quite generous to assume I'd say, that would have still left them on either 96 or 98 points, Liverpool got 97. So even by giving them a few extra wins their points tally would have been almost the same as what Liverpool actually got. Plus they are European Champions, which that Arsenal side never got near.

A few posters, not yourself, seem to be trying to push this 'The Premier Lesgue is really weak at the moment' line which has no basis in fact.  Liverpool are European Champions, Spurs were in the Champions League final, Man City were/are incredible, and the Europa League final was 2 english sides. City and Liverpool are making the rest of the league look poor, but when the rest of the league are competing on a European level they are as successful as they ever have been.

2004 was a bit of a transition period in the Premier League. Man Utd were in a rebuilding phase with Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba and Chelsea hadn't become dominant yet, that Arsenal side managed to exploit that 'gap'. Suppose it is a classic football debate where there is no right answer, but to me the current Liverpool and City sides are superior.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Fair enough.

For me the likes of Henry, Campbell, Pires and Ljungberg make it a superior team to 98.

It's a cracking debate to be fair. All world class players you mention.

For me though, the 97/98 side had that legendary 'keeper and back four, alongside the midfield of Parlour, Vieira, Petit and Overmars (who was sensational that season). A lightening Anelka alongside the genius of Bergkamp. Some side. 

I agree with what @craigkillie mentioned earlier in that last season's Liverpool and Man City sides pushed each other on. In the same vein, I believe this Arsenal side led to Man Utd pushing on and winning the treble the following year. 

Edited by Desp

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Cracking debate going on about the merit of several very good teams and he bores the life out of people with his usual tedious bullshit.

No wonder he’s got a points tally that’s fast approaching Bennet’s.

Agreed decent debate GB real progress here from page after page, year after year,  of ‘Lolverpool’, ‘Greatest League in the World’ type pish. 

Fail to see how a few lines about going to game can be tedious bullshit but hey ho.

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's a cracking debate to be fair. All world class players you mention.

For me though, the 97/98 side had that legendary 'keeper and back four, alongside the midfield of Parlour, Vieira, Petit and Overmars (who was sensational that season). A lightening Anelka alongside the genius of Bergkamp. Some side. 

I agree with what @craigkillie mentioned earlier in that last season's Liverpool and Man City sides pushed each other on. In the same vein, I believe this Arsenal side led to Man Utd pushing on and winning the treble the following year. 

Went to look at the respective squads and came across this. 

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/28051/arsenals-1998-double-winners-v-2004-invincibles-who-was-better-200294/