English Premier League 2019-20

1 minute ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It might be possible to find a balance between what we have now and binning it altogether.

It’s early days hopefully as you say a balance can be found.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It might be possible to find a balance between what we have now and binning it altogether.

I have said before I beleive the correct use of technology is existing goal line technology + (and this is the difficult bit but IMO possible) find a way to automate the offside decision. It is beyond the capabilities of a human as it is, but the game is getting faster and VAR is scrutinising to fucking stupid degrees as we seen tonight. 

f**k the "bit of your body you can score from", use the GPS tech they are all wearing to determine whose GPS tag is closest to the goal at the time of the ball being played. This leave the ref/linesman to only determine when the ball is played and whether a player flagged offside is active. 

Obviosuly my plan leaves many other decisions to referee interpretation but offisde is surely the biggest bugbear. And VAR will never clear up handball anymore since even with VAR there is levels of interpretation that someone will alwyas disagree with

I think it might be better applied if the margins weren’t so fine.

There is no real advantage to an attackers left foot being marginally ahead of defenders, if the offside rule was that the whole of the attacker should be ahead of the defender then it would be worth applying (because then attackers can’t just stand ahead of defenders) and quicker to spot/decide.

I also think there should be a limit on how far back it goes. There was plenty of time between the possible Wolves offside and the actual goal for Man Utd to close down/defend - unless the action directly leads to a goal and if the defending team have a opportunity to defend, then I think they should leave it.

Mainly they should just get VAR to f**k. It’s shite.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It is beyond the capabilities of a human as it is, but the game is getting faster and VAR is scrutinising to fucking stupid degrees as we seen tonight. 

Which is what Sky, BBC, ITV etc have been doing for years and match officials get hung out to dry for things which aren’t obvious in real time. This is the consequence.

I utterly despise VAR. That check tonight was daft. Football is a fluid, reactive sport not play by play like tennis or cricket. Every decision is vital and affects the flow of the game yet only certain decisions are checked which is blatantly unfair to start with - in one of the Spanish games over the weekend there was clearly a throw given the wrong way which ended up leading to a decent chance but would never be checked in VAR. The 3-1 Madrid derby was a farce last season for it.

Having been at games for a season now it takes away something from it - nearly every goal you're celebrating but thinking it could be taken away. Football has been a fucking brilliant sport for a long time, some changes enhance it. This has been overwhelmingly negative and impacts on the game badly.

Goal line technology, however, is a great example of technology working brilliantly. 

Edited by JMDP

11 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

Which is what Sky, BBC, ITV etc have been doing for years and match officials get hung out to dry for things which aren’t obvious in real time. This is the consequence.

They show very little appreciation of how difficult a job it is and that is passed onto to the punters who call the officials for everything. Andy Gray was the worst for it would love to see him out there in his 38 inch shorts trying to referee a game. 

The Carragher / Neville stuff with the referees was good a few years ago really highlighted just how tough a job the officials have. 

12 minutes ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

Liverpool v London Arsenal will be interesting.    

Too early to call it a title decider?   

Nah Man City will stroll the title for 3 in a row.  They're miles better than anybody else.  Top 3 is already decided, and the usual 3 fighting for fourth spot.