English Premier League 2019-20

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Nae point in any c**t celebrating the ball hitting the net now. Takes away the joy and passion from the game.

Spot on. I'm glad that it won't be introduced up here any time soon. 

Having said that lol at City. 

VAR in principle is a good thing, I would say - but I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that it would only be applied in situations where a clear and obvious officiating mistake had been made (whether that be an incorrect call or missing something completely). The extent to which it's being called upon is a joke at present.

Edited by the_bully_wee

VAR in principle is a good thing, I would say - but I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that it would only be applied in situations where a clear and obvious officiating mistake had been made (whether that be an incorrect call or missing something completely). The extent to which it's being called upon is a joke at present.
In principle I agree but with a hugely broad principle of using technology to assist referees. What they have come up with is fucking abysmal and absolutely does not suit the brief IMO.

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference, but I feel that having the VAR empowers match referees in making difficult/controversial calls one way or the other, in the knowledge that they can be corrected if wrong - along with allowing a lot more harder-to-spot infringements to be spotted, such as shirt-tugging at corners etc. I hate it in its current form because it is applied horrifically, but I support its existence and use (to a point). There are far too many problems with it right now, though.

It really is. What a fucking shambles.  

I think var is ruining the game but that's doubley daft. A stupid handball rule.

VAR isn't the problem - it's the interpretation and application of the rules that is. 

The way handball is being given is completely against any common sense - it ignores the reality that you can handle the ball accidentally as a natural movement of your body. It's even worse if there is no way to get your hand out the way - what do they want - thalidomide footballers?

VAR isn't the problem - it's the interpretation and application of the rules that is.  

The way handball is being given is completely against any common sense - it ignores the reality that you can handle the ball accidentally as a natural movement of your body. It's even worse if there is no way to get your hand out the way - what do they want - thalidomide footballers?

I think the rule was changed for VAR though.

Doesn't matter. I am loving the seethe on twitter. English Football sold its soul a long time ago, f'ck em.

If only we had VAR up here. The Old Firm would be fucked.

I think the old arsehole blatter was right about this.

Football, as far as possible, should be the same if you're playing at an amateur level or the top professional level. The game should be the same, the rules the same, and the referee's decision final.

By all means use it retrospectively to catch out culprits for whatever misdemeanor you want. But keep the raw emotion of the game the same.

Both tennis and cricket are completely different games. Decisions are much more black and white, and the game has natural breaks in play that make it easier. Football ebbs and flows, and is filled with much more nuance.

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is there anyone on here who is happy with either the new handball rule, or the introduction of var?

Yes. There have been instances of players scoring goals after handballs missed by the referee, and we had the Lorente incident last season where the referee had to decide if it was deliberate or not.  People moan about referees being inconsistent and the law being open to interpretation so surely it's better to have a black and white rule which is easier for referees to apply?

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Football, as far as possible, should be the same if you're playing at an amateur level or the top professional level. The game should be the same, the rules the same, and the referee's decision final.

By all means use it retrospectively to catch out culprits for whatever misdemeanor you want. But keep the raw emotion of the game the same.

Both tennis and cricket are completely different games. Decisions are much more black and white, and the game has natural breaks in play that make it easier. Football ebbs and flows, and is filled with much more nuance.

Agreed Panda. 

I’m quite happy with the outcome of that late call today but was never keen for it. It’s causing more problems than we had before with the 3 officials out there making all the calls on the spot.  

Yeah, in tennis, its purely designed to check if a ball is in or out. No interpretation required. Its the interpretative side of it that makes this a clusterfuck.

Yes. There have been instances of players scoring goals after handballs missed by the referee, and we had the Lorente incident last season where the referee had to decide if it was deliberate or not.  People moan about referees being inconsistent and the law being open to interpretation so surely it's better to have a black and white rule which is easier for referees to apply?
I disagree. I like that decisions are open to interpretation. I like arguing over them, it's always been a part of the game. But this takes away the gutteral reaction of celebrating a goal, (or penalty or red card).

Did you see the incident in question? It's not a deliberate handball in a million years.

I'm glad city didn't win but it's just not right. I can't imagine the rage I would be feeling if a decision like that cost my team.

The other thing about this.... The arguements for it all seem to centre around the fact that football is too big now to have mistakes influemcing the results, and fans have bought into that shite but the real pressure comes from those who are being finincially impacted by mistakes. They have somehow convinced a lot of fans to be on board with this to the clear detriment of the fan expereince.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The other thing about this.... The arguements for it all seem to centre around the fact that football is too big now to have mistakes influemcing the results, and fans have bought into that shite but the real pressure comes from those who are being finincially impacted by mistakes. They have somehow convinced a lot of fans to be on board with this to the clear detriment of the fan expereince.

I don’t think the fans ever had any say in it. 

Agreed Panda. 
I’m quite happy with the outcome of that late call today but was never keen for it. It’s causing more problems than we had before with the 3 officials out there making all the calls on the spot.  
Out of interest, what's it like being at games with VAR?