English Premier League 2019-20

Am I the only who can't undersnad why a shit manager like Steve Bruce keeps getting gig after gig?
He's like Gary Megson mark 2

We appointed him because he was the ideal man to take SWFC to the premier league and has a good record on doing so.

Newcastle only want him because the other 5/6 names above Bruce in the list have all rejected Mike Ashley. Also because MA thought it would be a very cheap option and he also see’s Bruce as a yes man therefor will become his puppet.

12 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

We appointed him because he was the ideal man to take SWFC to the premier league and has a good record on doing so.

Newcastle only want him because the other 5/6 names above Bruce in the list have all rejected Mike Ashley. Also because MA thought it would be a very cheap option and he also see’s Bruce as a yes man therefor will become his puppet.

Exactly. Home town team or not I hope Steve Bruce says no. 

Off to Bradford City v Liverpool today on the train - sold out fundraiser for the Darby Rimmer MND Foundation. 

Was just reading that next season teams in the Premier League who are level in the table will be separated by head to head records before goal difference. Think they already do this in the likes of Spain. 

37 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Mike Ashley sent Chansiri the £4 million this morning however not before Steve Bruce and his two assistants walked out on the club. Not bad amount of money considering he’s only been in charge for 6 months however get gone you utter two faced cretin.

What a carry on. Not impressed with Bruce giving Ashley what he wants.  Although it may keep the dreaded drum and brass band out the Premier League for a while longer. 

On 13/07/2019 at 16:22, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Am I the only who can't undersnad why a shit manager like Steve Bruce keeps getting gig after gig?

He's like Gary Megson mark 2

Ashley is desperate as top managers don't want to work for him.

Bruce was crap at Villa and was lucky to get the Wednesday job. 

They deserve each other. 

Steve Bruce appointed as Newcastle United head coach

Newcastle United can now announce that Steve Bruce has been appointed as the club's new head coach.

The 58-year-old, who was born in Corbridge, Northumberland and raised in Wallsend, returns to Tyneside after signing an initial three-year contract and will be joined at St. James’ Park by coaches Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence.

Bruce said: "I’m delighted and incredibly proud to be appointed as head coach of Newcastle United. This is my boyhood club and it was my dad’s club, so this is a very special moment for me and my family.

“There is a huge challenge ahead of us, but it’s one that my staff and I are ready for. We’ll roll our sleeves up and we’ll be giving it everything from the off to ensure supporters have a successful team that they can be proud of.”

Lee Charnley, managing director at Newcastle United, said: “Steve has a deep affection for Newcastle United and we are very pleased that a coach with his vast experience and connections to the club and city has joined us.

“Steve knows what this club means to supporters and to the region and he will put his heart and soul into leading our talented group of players with the full support of our staff.

“The hard work for Steve and his team starts immediately and we will be fully prepared for the challenge of a new Premier League season.

“I would place on record my thanks to Ben Dawson, Neil Redfearn and our medical and support staff for the way in which they have worked together to oversee the start of our pre-season preparations.”

Bruce and his staff are scheduled to travel to China and will meet the squad following Wednesday’s Premier League Asia Trophy clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Ben Dawson and Neil Redfearn will continue to prepare the players for Wednesday’s game.

A former Wallsend Boys Club player, Bruce began a decorated professional career at Gillingham, where he carved out a reputation as a solid and determined centre-half with a favourable goalscoring record.

After a three-year spell at Norwich City, which included winning the League Cup, he moved to Manchester United, where he would go on to lift three Premier League titles, three FA Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup, as well as a further League Cup.

Bruce made 84 appearances for Birmingham City between 1996 and 1998, before a career in the dugout got underway with a player-manager role at Sheffield United.

In a 21-year coaching career since, Bruce has taken charge of a further eight clubs and has clocked up more than 900 competitive matches.

NUFC.Com's take on the Bruce appointment is fairly brutal:

"Newcastle United confirmed the appointment of Steve Bruce as their new head coach on Wednesday morning.

He's signed an initial three year contract and is joined by coaches Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, with the trio en route to China to take charge of the club's second Asian Trophy tie on Saturday.

Bruce's former club Sheffield Wednesday are yet to make any public comment, but presumably the confirmation of him as successor to Rafa Benitez means that compensation has now been agreed.

This will be the eleventh club of his managerial career, since taking charge of Sheffield United in July 1998 - his most recent top-flight stint ending in 2016 when his Hull City side were relegated. 

So all the talk of progressive football and has sacrificed on the altar of expedience and we're now saddled with a John Carver/Steve McClaren reboot.

We don't really care about his club hopping or the plight he's left Wednesday in; the mackem connection or his perception as an Old Trafford apologist is of little consequence ahead of the 2019/20 season.

And even the claim that the man who allegedly bleeds black and white once preferred to join Norwich City doesn't particularly matter - football is a lie, as his predecessor was fond of saying. 

Regardless of your viewpoint of Rafa though, this cannot be seen as anything other than a retrograde step - a man who previously boasted of his dislike of tactics. 

This is the very opposite of ambition, but an appointment that nicely mirrors our grubby, unloved, derided shell of a football club.

The job title given to Bruce of Head Coach seems significant though: with just over three weeks to go until the transfer window closes, let's hope that whoever is actually in charge of recruitment on Barrack Road has a coherent and credible plan to avoid what looks like nothing else but a relegation fight.

Whether the club have shown some foresight in appointing Bruce remains to be seen; perhaps they've merely acquired a manager with promotion to the top flight on his CV thirteen months before he's needed.  "

Guest Moomintroll

I know it is only a pre season friendly but this is looking like a very long, miserable season for Newcastle United, can see them being effectively doomed by the end of the year.

Sheffield Wednesday say they are taking legal advice following the resignation of former boss Steve Bruce and his subsequent appointment at Newcastle United.

The Owls said that they learnt of Bruce's new role as the Magpies' head coach via a public statement.

Bruce, 58, and his assistants Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, resigned from Sheffield Wednesday Monday.

In a statement the club said: "The Club is disappointed to learn via public statement issued by Newcastle United that it has appointed former Sheffield Wednesday staff Steve Bruce, Steve Agnew and Steve Clemence.

"Regardless of the fact that the staff resigned from their positions with the Club on Monday, there remains outstanding legal issues to be resolved between the club and the staff and Newcastle United.

"The Club is currently considering its position and taking the appropriate legal advice."

Sheffield Wednesday say they are taking legal advice following the resignation of former boss Steve Bruce and his subsequent appointment at Newcastle United.
The Owls said that they learnt of Bruce's new role as the Magpies' head coach via a public statement.
Bruce, 58, and his assistants Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, resigned from Sheffield Wednesday Monday.
In a statement the club said: "The Club is disappointed to learn via public statement issued by Newcastle United that it has appointed former Sheffield Wednesday staff Steve Bruce, Steve Agnew and Steve Clemence.
"Regardless of the fact that the staff resigned from their positions with the Club on Monday, there remains outstanding legal issues to be resolved between the club and the staff and Newcastle United.
"The Club is currently considering its position and taking the appropriate legal advice."

There aren’t any restrictive covenants in football. Newcastle will pay their compensation and all will be forgotten about, except by Sheffield Wednesday fans who will become unreasonably salty about their mediocre former manager. He will now become a “Judas” to football fans with absolutely no sense of life balance.

There aren’t any restrictive covenants in football. Newcastle will pay their compensation and all will be forgotten about, except by Sheffield Wednesday fans who will become unreasonably salty about their mediocre former manager. He will now become a “Judas” to football fans with absolutely no sense of life balance.

Hardly salty about it I mean after how things have turned out its good riddance to him and other 2 Steve’s. Bruce and his 2 chums walked into training on Monday morning refusing to take training and then resigned from there positions before walking out. The club then had to phone our youth managers in so that they could assist Bullen in training because it should of been business as normal until everything was sorted.

For Bruce to be appointed as manager while compensation hadn’t been sorted is totally wrong and Chansiri probably hasn’t even accepted them 3s resignation until the whole money situation was all sorted out. I hope Chansiri takes MA to the cleaners with this is one as him and Bruce have shown SWFC no respect and the whole situation has been an absolute joke from the start. The only thing I am critical about with Chansiri is apparently he gave Bruce permission to speak to Newcastle without the compensation being agreed which if true is an error by himself.

Edit: Been out all day and hadn’t realised we released a club statement. So from reading that the word ‘former’ is used for the staff so I would say Chansiri probably has accepted the resignation. I’d assume the issue is with the other 2 Steve’s and that no compensation has been paid/agreed for there contracts as £4 million was accepted for SB contract. Looks like MA has refused to give more money and see’s the £4 million enough for all 3.

By the time this has been sorted out SB will have been sacked by NUFC, counted his millions and buggered off to Barbados for a 6 month holiday

not sure if this has already been posted in here or elsewhere but my older brother pointed me to it about Steve Bruce writing mystery novels in 1999/2000, burst out loud laughing a few times through it:

https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

Well worth a read if you've got a few minutes. It sounds like something Peartree Productions would publish.

edit: a couple of my favourite snippets:

"…the return of Steve Bruce’s Jaguar Chat! Yes, Bruce is a big fan of his motor, a Jaguar XJ8 that receives many lengthy and incongruous descriptions in Striker. In Sweeper, it takes pride of place for our hero once more, as well as a bulging turn-on for everyone else he meets, including the above mentioned gun-toting aggressors. If a kidnapping seems an odd place to crowbar in some bragging about a car, consider that its merits are first mentioned as Barnes scrambles to follow the ambulance carrying a dying Sam to the hospital.

The Jag was in its usual place, outside the club reception. It’s an XJ8, 3.2, sports version, V Reg. As I drove fast to the infirmary, following the ambulance as it cut a swathe through the traffic I wasn’t thinking of power assisted steering and speed sensitive variable ratios…"

"That’s not to say there aren’t any exciting moments in the book. In fact, there are about three and they’re all shite. Some important plot revelations are almost maddeningly constructed, such as when Barnes realises that these heavily accented, tanned, “mediterranean-sounding” Nazi-hunters are Israelis. This is something he teases for a long time – in fact, over 100 pages of a 112-page book – despite there being more than a few clues and the fact that it is, after all, a book with an Israeli flag on the cover."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

For any EPL/Man U fanboys, I watched the game v Leeds last night and the boy Chong looks a player. Dunno what stage he's at in his development but I could see him becoming a regular based solely on that 45 minutes last night. 

22 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

For any EPL/Man U fanboys, I watched the game v Leeds last night and the boy Chong looks a player. Dunno what stage he's at in his development but I could see him becoming a regular based solely on that 45 minutes last night. 

You’ve definitely come to the right place Dee Man. 

16 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

not sure if this has already been posted in here or elsewhere but my older brother pointed me to it about Steve Bruce writing mystery novels in 1999/2000, burst out loud laughing a few times through it:

https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

Well worth a read if you've got a few minutes. It sounds like something Peartree Productions would publish.

edit: a couple of my favourite snippets:

"…the return of Steve Bruce’s Jaguar Chat! Yes, Bruce is a big fan of his motor, a Jaguar XJ8 that receives many lengthy and incongruous descriptions in Striker. In Sweeper, it takes pride of place for our hero once more, as well as a bulging turn-on for everyone else he meets, including the above mentioned gun-toting aggressors. If a kidnapping seems an odd place to crowbar in some bragging about a car, consider that its merits are first mentioned as Barnes scrambles to follow the ambulance carrying a dying Sam to the hospital.

The Jag was in its usual place, outside the club reception. It’s an XJ8, 3.2, sports version, V Reg. As I drove fast to the infirmary, following the ambulance as it cut a swathe through the traffic I wasn’t thinking of power assisted steering and speed sensitive variable ratios…"

"That’s not to say there aren’t any exciting moments in the book. In fact, there are about three and they’re all shite. Some important plot revelations are almost maddeningly constructed, such as when Barnes realises that these heavily accented, tanned, “mediterranean-sounding” Nazi-hunters are Israelis. This is something he teases for a long time – in fact, over 100 pages of a 112-page book – despite there being more than a few clues and the fact that it is, after all, a book with an Israeli flag on the cover."

The Football Weekly podcasts covered these a while ago. They are brilliant!

The best thing about them is when Steve Barnes realises the terrorists are Israeli because their favourite football player is Yossi Benayoun :lol: