English Premier League 2019-20

I'm not saying otherwise but that's no indication of being financially supported. £33k wasn't a big salary five years ago.
He spent £30m in one season. That is adequate financial backing. Not a good option for Newcastle at all, his managerial record since leaving Everton has been very suspect, both on and off the pitch.

10 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Couldn’t see him walking out on Rangers at this point in time and certainly not to join a current basket case like Newcastle. 

He won't be getting the Liverpool job anytime soon

Just now, AyrTroopMajor said:
26 minutes ago, harry94 said:
I'm not saying otherwise but that's no indication of being financially supported. £33k wasn't a big salary five years ago.

He spent £30m in one season. That is adequate financial backing. Not a good option for Newcastle at all, his managerial record since leaving Everton has been very suspect, both on and off the pitch.

That £30 million still had them as one of the lowest spenders in the division though, it doesn't mean anything unless it's relative. The only teams who were significantly below were the two other sides that got relegated. Sunderland had just had 39 points the season before and had just lost a fairly major player in M'Vila who they only had in on loan and had an unreal season. Then wage budget is open to a lot of conjecture but two of the major signings he made were released by other sides in the league and had been trying to win deals at second tier clubs so were pretty much obviously very cheap deals.

He completely imploded there but it's revisionist to suggest that they were in a great state and a lot of the money they did spend was on youth players who were not commanding big salaries relative to their peers. The club were a shitheap and pretty much bought their way into trouble around the time Martin O'Neil was there with a dreadful signing structure that meant they were always in upheaval, they got very fortunate and scraped safety a few times but it was always coming.

That £30 million still had them as one of the lowest spenders in the division though, it doesn't mean anything unless it's relative. The only teams who were significantly below were the two other sides that got relegated. Sunderland had just had 39 points the season before and had just lost a fairly major player in M'Vila who they only had in on loan and had an unreal season. Then wage budget is open to a lot of conjecture but two of the major signings he made were released by other sides in the league and had been trying to win deals at second tier clubs so were pretty much obviously very cheap deals.
He completely imploded there but it's revisionist to suggest that they were in a great state and a lot of the money they did spend was on youth players who were not commanding big salaries relative to their peers. The club were a shitheap and pretty much bought their way into trouble around the time Martin O'Neil was there with a dreadful signing structure that meant they were always in upheaval, they got very fortunate and scraped safety a few times but it was always coming.
You're absolutely right, they were lurching from one disaster to another but his admission that they were in a relegation battle on the first day of the season paved the way for a disastrous reign

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He’d be an excellent appointment for them. Accordingly I hope it isn’t him.

In what way?

Unless finishing 17th and scoring <20 goals every season is the height of their ambition, then I honestly can’t see how anyone could think he’d be an excellent appointment.

😂😂😂 

The Newcastle betting market prove that punters have more money than sense.

There is no way that Mike Ashley would pay anything like Mourinho's salary demands.

Gary Monk at 10/1 is a joke. Not even Ashley would be crazy enough to appoint him after his record at Boro and Birmingham.

And as for Anthony Hudson, words fail me....😁

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

😂😂😂 

The Newcastle betting market prove that punters have more money than sense.

There is no way that Mike Ashley would pay anything like Mourinho's salary demands.

Gary Monk at 10/1 is a joke. Not even Ashley would be crazy enough to appoint him after his record at Boro and Birmingham.

And as for Anthony Hudson, words fail me....😁

Ashley appointed Pardew after being sacked two leagues below and McLaren after being sacked one league below. Kinnear also had been sacked in his last job four years before in the second tier

One think is though, he's maybe learned that a proper manager like Rafa is actually a very prudent financial decision if he can trick them into it as one massive wage is nothing compared to the massive budget. I could maybe see him going for Ranieri.

20 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Ashley appointed Pardew after being sacked two leagues below and McLaren after being sacked one league below. Kinnear also had been sacked in his last job four years before in the second tier

One think is though, he's maybe learned that a proper manager like Rafa is actually a very prudent financial decision if he can trick them into it as one massive wage is nothing compared to the massive budget. I could maybe see him going for Ranieri.

Surely even Ashley has learned from those mistakes.

Ranieri's poor record at Fulham could be a problem. But he's one candidate who could accept the one-year deal that Ashley offered Benitez.