Crowd Wank

Just now, Scary Bear said:

East Fife were looking good for a play-off place at Christmas.

I think the likes of Killie and Motherwell fans just look for a decent cup run and on a good season maybe a European place. 

The joys of Scottish Football.

Aye, whatever else anyone says about the bottom three leagues, there's very few clubs that just meander through a season, without a chance of promotion or relegation. Maybe a few of the lower mid-table clubs in L2 aside. We can't have played much more than a dozen or so genuinely meaningless league games over the past decade.

I understand that all teams will have certain factors for attendances but Raith also have the Fife Flyers in Kirkcaldy. (Basically a two team town) I have been to a couple over the past 2 years and it’s pretty much a sell out.

Think it’s like 2000/2500 per game sometimes twice a week at home.

Good team in the top division of British Ice Hockey, must have more appeal than good team 3rd division Scottish football

Don’t know if this is at all a huge factor or a wee one but worth taking into account I reckon

There is a B&M and a Home Bargains in Forfar these days to compete for Sat crowds with..

2 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
3 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:
I understand that all teams will have certain factors for attendances but Raith also have the Fife Flyers in Kirkcaldy. (Basically a two team town) I have been to a couple over the past 2 years and it’s pretty much a sell out.

Good team in the top division of British Ice Hockey, must have more appeal than good team 3rd division Scottish football

Don’t know if this is at all a huge factor or a wee one but worth taking into account I reckon

There is a B&M and a Home Bargains in Forfar these days to compete for Sat crowds with..

You don’t have to pay to get into them mate. Has someone been taking advantage of you? A rogue tramp or the likes?

You don’t have to pay to get into them mate. Has someone been taking advantage of you? A rogue tramp or the likes?
They are still dipping into what should be the Loons rightful admission money. Still more honourable than getting on a bus to see the Ugly Sisters to be fair though.

4 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

One reason to get Raith back in the top is for that Dundee-Kirkcaldy derby that only really exists in ice hockey.

Fair comment, but one thing that is clear at Montrose now is the number of people who now come to the games who wouldn't have done so in the past as they have a connection with the club due to using the plastic pitch and the facilities at Links Park. Hasn't happened overnight but has slowly built up over the last 12 years.
I've just always thought given the size of Arbroath, the club should attract at least double our attendances and felt that maybe there is an opportunity being missed here?

As a Lichtie, I have been seriously disappointed that this unrivalled season did not entice more paying spectators through the gates. We’ve never had a season like it, especially first half and we’re top throughout but though there were maybe 100-200 more than a regular season, I would have hoped for more. And even the extra edge of the Angus derbies didn’t make a huge difference. We can’t even attract glory hunters in numbers! Gayfield is somewhat exposed so maybe the delicate and fickle Arbroath public have gone soft. On the terraces, the majority of the supporters around me all travelled from farther afield.

Though Gayfield has a decent enough surface (and subsurface), it’s not the bowling green it once was. I think there are strong commercial and community arguments for installing plastic, to maximise use of the stadium. Each new generation of plastic seems to get a little better so. AFC need to be thinking about that... provided windbreak (and wind turbines) are installed at the same time.

The current Board are doing well on many fronts so deserve only praise.

Finally, just to point out the invisible ‘law’ of human behaviour which seems to dictate the approximately similar proportion of any given community’s population that support the local team, regardless

Just popped up on our facebook/twitter pages;

HUGE THANKS TO OUR FANS

Attendances at LP this season were up 25% to 21,149, cheering us on to our highest league finish since 1992.

Our away support continued to be strong, with overall attendance figures for matches featuring the Mighty Mo (home and away) reaching an incredible 41,185.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Hes an ex Celtic supporter who now goes to St Rochs games.

To be fair, supporting one of the old firm must be one of the most god-awfully boring experiences in world football.

As a Lichtie, I have been seriously disappointed that this unrivalled season did not entice more paying spectators through the gates. We’ve never had a season like it, especially first half and we’re top throughout but though there were maybe 100-200 more than a regular season, I would have hoped for more. And even the extra edge of the Angus derbies didn’t make a huge difference. We can’t even attract glory hunters in numbers! Gayfield is somewhat exposed so maybe the delicate and fickle Arbroath public have gone soft. On the terraces, the majority of the supporters around me all travelled from farther afield.

Though Gayfield has a decent enough surface (and subsurface), it’s not the bowling green it once was. I think there are strong commercial and community arguments for installing plastic, to maximise use of the stadium. Each new generation of plastic seems to get a little better so. AFC need to be thinking about that... provided windbreak (and wind turbines) are installed at the same time.

The current Board are doing well on many fronts so deserve only praise.

Finally, just to point out the invisible ‘law’ of human behaviour which seems to dictate the approximately similar proportion of any given community’s population that support the local team, regardless

Average (with correct figures Montrose at home was misreported) of 970 or something, that's about 220 higher than normal or a 25% increase. The derbies are derbies in name but the travelling supports we receive from them aren't great. That's pretty good going I'd say.

Plastic will not happen at Gayfield, club just need to keep doing the great work they are with the community at the moment. They run football camps etc already that take place beside Tutties or behind the Harbour end

2 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

I was told by one of the directors a couple of years ago that it was too costly to have installed & maintained.

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I was told by one of the directors a couple of years ago that it was too costly to have installed & maintained.

Might be right. If there are a few school or sports centres offering astro another probably won't be needed. A club like Arbroath will have a ceiling figure in potential support. Flinging good money at trying to exceed that is a bit pointless.

23 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Massive crowds for what is glorified Junior football at twice the price.

21 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Had there been a proper pyramid system in place over the last 50 years it doubtful that even some of the top league clubs would still be around.

21 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Rangers, Hamilton Accies, Kilmarnock

19 hours ago, gogsy said:

Hes an ex Celtic supporter who now goes to St Rochs games.

Can you imagine being so ashamed of the two actual teams you support that you need to pretend you support Motherwell?  Tragic.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can you imagine being so ashamed of the two actual teams you support that you need to pretend you support Motherwell?  Tragic.

Red dot. That’s you told.