Crowd Wank

38 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Massive crowds for what is glorified Junior football at twice the price.

Least there's a bit of competition. Genuinely have no idea why folk can be arsed watching Killie or Motherwell achieve mid-table banality for the 34th season in a row.

3 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

I understand that all teams will have certain factors for attendances but Raith also have the Fife Flyers in Kirkcaldy. (Basically a two team town) I have been to a couple over the past 2 years and it’s pretty much a sell out.

Think it’s like 2000/2500 per game sometimes twice a week at home.

Good team in the top division of British Ice Hockey, must have more appeal than good team 3rd division Scottish football

Don’t know if this is at all a huge factor or a wee one but worth taking into account I reckon

Yeah, well the Wee team jibe was never about our size relative to Dunfermline....

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Average of just under 1000 over 18 games why would we be disappointed we usually average around 750?

1000 for a meaningless game at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon isn't disappointing either. Nobody thought we would win the league against Montrose there was still 1550 or something there which was hardly poor. The fair weather / glory hunters or whatever you want to call them went to the game against Brechin

Last game of season 2018/19 against Elgin we had about 2400 at LP which means we probably had around 1800 glory hunters turn up that day. When we won the league in 1985 we had nowhere near that crowd. There were a lot more women/kids at the game as well so are we seeing the long term benefits of the plastic pitch/community club setup?
Not having a go at Arbroath here, just genuinely curious about this. If Gayfield went plastic would home crowds slowly increase? Are Forfar seeing any improvement in attendances?
Would be interested in other fans thoughts on this.

Last game of season 2018/19 against Elgin we had about 2400 at LP which means we probably had around 1800 glory hunters turn up that day. When we won the league in 1985 we had nowhere near that crowd. There were a lot more women/kids at the game as well so are we seeing the long term benefits of the plastic pitch/community club setup? Not having a go at Arbroath here, just genuinely curious about this. If Gayfield went plastic would home crowds slowly increase? Are Forfar seeing any improvement in attendances? Would be interested in other fans thoughts on this.

Course we wouldn't

Our Club does plenty in the community without a plastic park

And we've had steady average crowds that are up there with Airdrie for being the best at part time level for years now, 7-800ish

We don't get many 500/600 crowds in league games now, that used to be a regular thing. I remember crowds nearer 400 in the worst winter days not so long ago

Our support is what it is, couldn't care less about what the crowds are for the big games. We have won the league 3 times, only once was at home, 8 year ago and we had 2400 there that day too. The 2 away games were about 1200-1500 away fans. It doesn't mean anything it's the run of the mill league attendances that matter and ours have been good in that regard (atleast in comparison to what they used to be) for years

A plastic pitch will never happen at Gayfield, it's not needed due to where it's located

Our hospitality of 100 places or whatever is sold out all season too. I think we might be expanding that, and I think that was going to be happening regardless of what league we were going to be in next season. We've actually been selling external hospitality too where people have their meals and drinks at a restaurant in town before being bussed to Gayfield

Think we are doing reasonably well and think we are going to see a steady improvement year on year with how well we are doing in the community and with social media wtc

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Scottish Premiership is glorified League One football going by this logic

Had there been a proper pyramid system in place over the last 50 years it doubtful that even some of the top league clubs would still be around.

20 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Had there been a proper pyramid system in place over the last 50 years it doubtful that even some of the top league clubs would still be around.

If they hadn't reconstructed the leagues to save Motherwell good knows what would have happened to your club.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Least there's a bit of competition. Genuinely have no idea why folk can be arsed watching Killie or Motherwell achieve mid-table banality for the 34th season in a row.

Top 6. Amazing how marketing makes mid-table banality something to strive for.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Top 6. Amazing how marketing makes mid-table banality something to strive for.

To be fair, we've developed an unnerving and precision knack of finishing between 5th and 8th in league 1. In the last 11 years, we've finished in those spots 7 times. Even more ridiculous, we've finished between 5th and 9th in League One in 9 of the last 11 seasons.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Course we wouldn't

Our Club does plenty in the community without a plastic park

And we've had steady average crowds that are up there with Airdrie for being the best at part time level for years now, 7-800ish

We don't get many 500/600 crowds in league games now, that used to be a regular thing. I remember crowds nearer 400 in the worst winter days not so long ago

Our support is what it is, couldn't care less about what the crowds are for the big games. We have won the league 3 times, only once was at home, 8 year ago and we had 2400 there that day too. The 2 away games were about 1200-1500 away fans. It doesn't mean anything it's the run of the mill league attendances that matter and ours have been good in that regard (atleast in comparison to what they used to be) for years

A plastic pitch will never happen at Gayfield, it's not needed due to where it's located

Our hospitality of 100 places or whatever is sold out all season too. I think we might be expanding that, and I think that was going to be happening regardless of what league we were going to be in next season. We've actually been selling external hospitality too where people have their meals and drinks at a restaurant in town before being bussed to Gayfield

Think we are doing reasonably well and think we are going to see a steady improvement year on year with how well we are doing in the community and with social media wtc

Fair comment, but one thing that is clear at Montrose now is the number of people who now come to the games who wouldn't have done so in the past as they have a connection with the club due to using the plastic pitch and the facilities at Links Park. Hasn't happened overnight but has slowly built up over the last 12 years.
I've just always thought given the size of Arbroath, the club should attract at least double our attendances and felt that maybe there is an opportunity being missed here?

given the size of Arbroath, the club should attract at least double our attendances and felt that maybe there is an opportunity being missed here?

That's not how it works.

We're not missing any opportunity, the club have been excellent the last couple of year and are only getting better

2 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Last game of season 2018/19 against Elgin we had about 2400 at LP which means we probably had around 1800 glory hunters turn up that day. When we won the league in 1985 we had nowhere near that crowd. There were a lot more women/kids at the game as well so are we seeing the long term benefits of the plastic pitch/community club setup?
Not having a go at Arbroath here, just genuinely curious about this. If Gayfield went plastic would home crowds slowly increase? Are Forfar seeing any improvement in attendances?
Would be interested in other fans thoughts on this.

There were quite a few exiled fans and lapsed supporters at the Elgin game but mostly it was gloryhunters and well wishers from the town.

I had a group of women standing behind me who were perplexed by the chants. 

why is everyone singing about a dynamo?  I heard one of them ask her friend.:lol:

2 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

I understand that all teams will have certain factors for attendances but Raith also have the Fife Flyers in Kirkcaldy. (Basically a two team town) I have been to a couple over the past 2 years and it’s pretty much a sell out.

Think it’s like 2000/2500 per game sometimes twice a week at home.

Good team in the top division of British Ice Hockey, must have more appeal than good team 3rd division Scottish football

Don’t know if this is at all a huge factor or a wee one but worth taking into account I reckon

Flyers crowds for season past were generally poor in comparison to previous years,much like ours.They had budgeted for 2000 I believe  to break even and averaged 1600/1700

A good top division BIH team only has more appeal  than a good 3rd division side if your into hockey I suppose.I,m not,in fact dislike it so would choose a rank rotten 3rd division football

Edited by Rovers_Lad

30 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

To be fair, we've developed an unnerving and precision knack of finishing between 5th and 8th in league 1. In the last 11 years, we've finished in those spots 7 times. Even more ridiculous, we've finished between 5th and 9th in League One in 9 of the last 11 seasons.

East Fife were looking good for a play-off place at Christmas.

I think the likes of Killie and Motherwell fans just look for a decent cup run and on a good season maybe a European place. 

The joys of Scottish Football.