Jeremy Kyle taken off air

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Its hard for a lot of people to get their heads round seemingly, but slowly surely, and probably because the govt dont want to pay for better mental healthcare, you just arent going to get away with blowing someones mental health to smithereens then absolving yourself of responsibility anymore. I think its coming for employers mostly, but in this case its the same thing.

Peoples happiness will soon be considered part of their health. I welcome it because it will result in the destruction of morons like Kyle

You're absolutely correct but still a million miles away from it unfortunately.

Government, employers etc I suspect have absolutely no idea how to deal with mental health issues. In fairness it's an incredibly complex issue as everyone's mental health problems are different, but companies can't just apply a blanket, one size fits all policy to address it so they're shitting themselves.

The other sad thing about things like Kyle is whilst some go for the night in a hotel and free booze, I'm sure plenty go on because they don't feel they have access or can afford any actual help for their issues elsewhere.

You're absolutely correct but still a million miles away from it unfortunately.
Government, employers etc I suspect have absolutely no idea how to deal with mental health issues. In fairness it's an incredibly complex issue as everyone's mental health problems are different, but companies can't just apply a blanket, one size fits all policy to address it so they're shitting themselves.
The other sad thing about things like Kyle is whilst some go for the night in a hotel and free booze, I'm sure plenty go on because they don't feel they have access or can afford any actual help for their issues elsewhere.
You are correct. Its in its infancy but its a big f**k off wheel that has started turning. Driven by greater understanding of mental health and the stigma slowly being removed from it.

I recently seen the HSE getting right up a certain companies arse over stuff like this which surprised me and made me think its coming.

15 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Occasionally there have been shows where he has helped people find relatives they hadn't seen for years.
If it was that sort of show it might be okay.

However, it is far more likely to be people who storm on stage, swearing and cursing at everyone.
Easily the most dysfunctional families around.
I have always found it a puzzle that these people despise each other but still agree to appear on the show together.

Always been one for me too. The sibling you hate or an ex get in touch and say 'we need to talk and I want you to come on JK with me to talk about it'................................

Who that has ever seen a few episodes will think this is about something good and will end well.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

You are correct. Its in its infancy but its a big f**k off wheel that has started turning. Driven by greater understanding of mental health and the stigma slowly being removed from it.

I recently seen the HSE getting right up a certain companies arse over stuff like this which surprised me and made me think its coming.

Can only be a good thing.

I see my ex employer all over social media bigging themselves up on how good they are dealing with mental health etc but my first hand experience of it was that they had no idea how to deal with a crisis moment and ultimately just wanted to wash their hands of me.

I do have some sympathy, I think for people who haven't experienced a mental health issue or crisis or whatever, it's very difficult to understand what's going on and how to deal with it. 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Can only be a good thing.

I see my ex employer all over social media bigging themselves up on how good they are dealing with mental health etc but my first hand experience of it was that they had no idea how to deal with a crisis moment and ultimately just wanted to wash their hands of me.

I do have some sympathy, I think for people who haven't experienced a mental health issue or crisis or whatever, it's very difficult to understand what's going on and how to deal with it. 

Its lip service.  I was pretty well involved with the HSE and in various changes at work that instigated their interest. My works response has been typically lip service oriented and transparent. It wont wash though. Not for long. 

Most workplaces still seem to think "man up and get on with it" is acceptable and their actions will reflect that even if they dont openly say that. Until they change people will keep suffering but they have never as yet been forced to change. That's what I thimk will change soon. Fingers crossed anyway

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its lip service.  I was pretty well involved with the HSE and in various changes at work that instigated their interest. My works response has been typically lip service oriented and transparent. It wont wash though. Not for long. 

Most workplaces still seem to think "man up and get on with it" is acceptable and their actions will reflect that even if they dont openly say that. Until they change people will keep suffering but they have never as yet been forced to change. That's what I thimk will change soon. Fingers crossed anyway

We're in danger of slightly derailing the thread so won't say much more but I think you are right in the above but only to an extent. There are people within companies, leadership too, who genuinely care and want to solve it but have no idea how. As I say, it's a complex issue, even having personal experience I'm probably not very well placed to tell someone else how to improve their own mental health situation.

Ironically, for me the solution is/was to 'man up' and get my shit together, only I could resolve it. But you need the platform to get yourself up off the floor and be in a position to do that and I think that's what companies struggle with.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

There was a good tweet about this I can't find but it went like this:

Employers: We care about your mental wellbeing and want to support you.

Employees: How about paying us more and hiring more staff so we're not under so much stress?

Employers: lol not like that here's a mindfulness slideshow.

Without checking, I'd hazard a complete guess that the main reason, by far, for people quitting jobs is due to stress because of increased workload.

In the job I'm in just now for example. they keep bringing on new clients for us to support, and expect us to still work as quick and efficiently.  This year they've brought in 4 new clients, one of which is a fairly big company with 6 sites across Aberdeen-shire, and it's meant two boys have been seconded there since February, meaning the rest of us have to bring in their workloads to our already full schedules.

A colleague and I have noticed since February the mood in the office has changed.  We used to get a right laugh and have Spotify playing in the background all day.  Now we all just sit in silence, barely speak and the most common phrases you hear is 'aww fuck off' or 'for f**k sake, what now?'

I can feel a rage quite coming from someone in the very near future.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

There was a good tweet about this I can't find but it went like this:

Employers: We care about your mental wellbeing and want to support you.

Employees: How about paying us more and hiring more staff so we're not under so much stress?

Employers: lol not like that here's a mindfulness slideshow.

Cracking post and I think employers will need to change.

Workplace stress/bullying will be the new PPI

13 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Its hard for a lot of people to get their heads round seemingly, but slowly surely, and probably because the govt dont want to pay for better mental healthcare, you just arent going to get away with blowing someones mental health to smithereens then absolving yourself of responsibility anymore. I think its coming for employers mostly, but in this case its the same thing.

Peoples happiness will soon be considered part of their health. I welcome it because it will result in the destruction of morons like Kyle

Unfortunately Kyle has transformed a decent format with good intentions into a pile shite.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I think that's a bit naïve.

It was always a pile of shite with the worst of intentions.

I don't think he was quite like that in his radio days, might be naive but I don't think it was as is.