Slint

Loved this band since about '96, when Mogwai kept on speaking about them (I loved the Glasgow lo-fi scene back then!).   As I recall Mogwai's first album had the working title of 'Spiderland'.  

About 2 weeks ago I saw a scene from that documentary.  They're playing Good Morning, Captain in their flat or basement and they seem so young.  They're like kids.  Was so cool to see that.

I saw them play Spiderland in Glasgow about 5 or 6 years ago (the same week I saw SY play Daydream Nation).  

Albini produced their first album using a pseudonym.   

And Spiderland has the best sleeve art ever IMO - was the picture taken by Bonnie Prince Billy?  I might have made that up.

Tweez is so similar to On Avery Island by NMH for me in that compared to the more rounded, critically acclaimed albums by each band band, I get so much more now out of formers now, despite being almost unlistenable on first spin! 

23 hours ago, Christophe said:

Tweez is so similar to On Avery Island by NMH for me in that compared to the more rounded, critically acclaimed albums by each band band, I get so much more now out of formers now, despite being almost unlistenable on first spin! 

I get that, Tweez is a slow burner but ultimately a frustrating listen. There are good tunes and ideas but Albini's sludgy production makes it much less accessible than it should have been. Albini to be fair has admitted his error.

The 1994 version of "Rhoda" makes you realise what Tweez could have been.

• 1 year later...

Been reading about Spiderland this morning.  Can't remember hearing about it at the time, going to listen later and will watch the doc, read a very interesting article about the members of the band think it was a Guardian piece.

It's got me listening to a lot of stuff from that era I'd always heard of but never  listened to much like Trumans Water, Polvo, Fugazi, Thinking Fellers Union,  Yo La Tengo, Archers of Loaf, GBV  Still like that US lo fi college/art rock sound.  Always listened to a lot of Pavement, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth amongst others back in the day.

On 22/08/2020 at 04:51, Boostin' Kev said:

Been reading about Spiderland this morning.  Can't remember hearing about it at the time, going to listen later and will watch the doc, read a very interesting article about the members of the band think it was a Guardian piece.

It's got me listening to a lot of stuff from that era I'd always heard of but never  listened to much like Trumans Water, Polvo, Fugazi, Thinking Fellers Union,  Yo La Tengo, Archers of Loaf, GBV  Still like that US lo fi college/art rock sound.  Always listened to a lot of Pavement, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth amongst others back in the day.

Archers of Loaf have brought out a few new singles this year after a long break. Sound good.