Glenrothes

21 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I love a decent programme btw, but it’s not the be-all...

Personally I wouldn’t mind having no food n pishing behind old creaking stand full of supporters who FEEL part of the club and aren’t just there to pay their ticket and be judgemental about the boys on the park.

Online-wise, there is LOADS of things teams could be doing to involve the young potential support on the fringes... at the end of the day, once we’re both gone it will be the kids that will keep the club alive. If you don’t get them early, they will just find something else to do with their time

It’s all the small things that add up. 

5 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

It’s all the small things that add up. 

Couldn’t agree more with that. My point is actually capturing the imagination of new supporters and giving them a reason to keep coming back. Long gone are the days where dads would take their boys (and girls) to their local team from a young age and ingrain the habit into them. It’s up to the clubs now to give the kids the reasons to come along, get a taste of it, excite them and hopefully create a real, loyal fan base.

Even if the team on the park are pish-poor lol

Edited by Spyro

18 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Ok fair enough. Apologies @Poet of the Macabre I’ve picked you up wrong. 

Don't worry about it. It's sometimes hard to decipher tone online.

As for winning games; it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if Glenrothes were outstanding or utter shite. It's my hometown club and just them being involved in the pyramid, even if it's near the bottom, is enough for me.

Loss to Tynecastle last night but they seem to be a decent side for this level. Hopefully back to winning ways against Craigroystan on Saturday.

On 14/08/2019 at 01:02, GordonS said:

Like both of you, and the vast majority of football fans, I grew up watching league football. I started watching non-league less than 20 years ago after moving to Linlithgow. I remember going to a league cup group match at Broxburn, and being amazed to see the linesman in a dug-out coat and, I swear to God, smoking a pipe. It had never occured to me that anywhere above park or school football would play without linesmen. I played inter-varsity football at uni without linesmen, and was once the linesman myself, but the standard was terrible (had to be if I was playing) so it was really just an extension of school football. 

It's a shame when people get mocked for not knowing something that they couldn't really have known before experiencing it. Every day is a school day. 

Funnily enough Gordon I was at Lithgae v Whitehill weekend before last. It was a fantastic day out. Beautiful summer's afternoon and just laid on the grassbank behind the goals. Was my 4-year-old daughter's first ever football match no less and the open grass area was perfect for her to run about after her concentration span inevitably expired. Could never do this at a league game and it occurred to me that the open grounds with smaller crowds are a good place to introduce young kids to football. They aren't forced to watch the whole game and can take time out to run about rather than being stuck in a seat for nearly two hours and ending up hating it.

Not that the match lacked entertainment - six goals plus an absolute ripper from about 30 yards out in the second half was the highlight.

Toilets were immaculate too. I would say Linlithgow are doing a decent job of making new fans welcome and what is on offer there is good value for seven quid.

Haven't been to Warout but it looks not dissimilar. I think the point is clubs need to focus on the experience people actually get when they come. They're looking for something more intimate and personal compared to higher league football and a bit more relaxed in terms of moving around the stadium.

Moving to the senior leagues makes clubs more attractive -  I can say this is the main reason which got me interested in nonleague football.

My main reaction from the Linlithgow match was "why were these guys playing in a separate system at a low level for so many years?"

Anyway, Glenrothes are already benefitting from their EoS move, it appears from this thread.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

Interesting to get the perspective of others who never grew up with non league. A lot of people like me grew up in the mining villages of the Lothians, Fife and Ayrshire, and the Juniors was the first thing you experienced (or even the Juveniles like Loanhead United who won the Scottish Cup in 1968). We didn't need an adult to take us along, we just went with our mates. These are you wee lads you see on the park at half time gleefully smashing the ball into the net past the wee-est laddie who always has to go in goals 🤣

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Smashing 6-0 win over Craigroystan in Football Nation Cup on Saturday. Looks like they have put a good side together this season.

Really? Red card, offside goal? Then Craigroyston down to 9 due to an injury.

Not to mention Craigroyston where better with 9 men than they where with 10 and 11.

Easily could have been mid double figures if it wasnt for Craigroyston goalkeeper.

Edited by Hertz1874

19 hours ago, Hertz1874 said:

Really? Red card, offside goal? Then Craigroyston down to 9 due to an injury.

Not to mention Craigroyston where better with 9 men than they where with 10 and 11.

Easily could have been mid double figures if it wasnt for Craigroyston goalkeeper.

Aye, I'm sure Glens wept themselves to sleep at *only* winning 6-0.

Well done to the Glens. So many people wrote them off the last couple of years. Since moving to the EOS they have been a breath of fresh air. A lot of hard work put in behind the scenes and it’s paying off. One of Fife’s biggest junior sides back in the day. Time for them to establish themselves again[emoji122]

12 hours ago, Hertz1874 said:

I'd be pissed off at that scoreline with the opponents having 9 men for 30 odd minutes.

why would you be pissed off winning 1 nil or 6 nil is still 3 points

if we play badly and win every week I will be more than pleased

craigroyston goalie had a great game like you said could of been double figures without glenrothes getting out second gear

hopefully craigroyston can turn the corner

• 2 weeks later...

Club Statement:

The club would like to announce that Vice Chairman James Aitken and General Manager
Paul Aitken have resigned from the committee and their respective roles at the club. The club and myself personally would like to put on record our thanks to James and Paul for their contribution to the club over the last 9 years, both have been stalwarts in ensuring the club's survival over this period which at times was very challenging.

James and Paul have been offered and accepted Honorary membership in recognition of their contribution to the club during the 9 years duration which is thoroughly deserved.

As the club moves forward we will be announcing changes to the structure of the club in the forthcoming weeks.

Pete McQuade
Chairman
Glenrothes FC

https://www.facebook.com/1618415138384257/posts/3074654999426923/

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The lies and hatred that @superbigal peddled, admittedly to the tune of another poster on here, trying to kill a club so they wouldn't leave "ra jooners" are once again debunked.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/1044858/football-club-secures-tenancy-for-glenrothes-stadium-after-fears-it-would-be-demolished/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Still, we now all know what type of a man he is.