Glenrothes

On 06/08/2019 at 07:36, superbigal said:

Really.
You have never seen an amateur or sunday league or kids game with no linos ? Probably 95% of all games have no linos in scotland.
You never played football in your life ?

Calm doon pal 🤣

Of course I've seen park football and played matches with no linesman but I'd mistakenly thought the East of Scotland was at a higher standard than tubby lads sauntering around half cut on a Sunday morning.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Calm doon pal 🤣

Of course I've seen park football and played matches with no linesman but I'd mistakenly thought the East of Scotland was at a higher standard than tubby lads sauntering around half cut on a Sunday morning.

Junior games dont have linos sometimes too

On 06/08/2019 at 09:28, bravehearts dad said:

Maybe you should do the  refereeing course then to help out the National situation?

SPFL supporters pay their £18 at the gate and live in a bubble. Match officials just magically appear. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

On 06/08/2019 at 07:36, superbigal said:

Really.
You have never seen an amateur or sunday league or kids game with no linos ? Probably 95% of all games have no linos in scotland.
You never played football in your life ?

Amazing that you dare to post on this thread following the lies and poison you were spreading about Glenrothes at the end of last season.

Have you apologised yet?

3 hours ago, Jason King said:

Amazing that you dare to post on this thread following the lies and poison you were spreading about Glenrothes at the end of last season.

Have you apologised yet?

Lies and poison is a bit strong Jason.

Al had been told about the debts at Warout Stadium but obviously wasn't aware that the problems lay with the social club not the football club.

There were one or two other posters on here who had bigger agendas against Glens who are more at fault.

On 07/08/2019 at 22:52, Rab B Nesbit said:

SPFL supporters pay their £18 at the gate and live in a bubble. Match officials just magically appear. 

I'm actually baffled how many folk have taken this personally. I wasn't trying to insult the level but trying to find out more about it since I'll be going to a few Glenrothes games this season.

Did not expect people to take the huff.

On 11/08/2019 at 20:57, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'm actually baffled how many folk have taken this personally. I wasn't trying to insult the level but trying to find out more about it since I'll be going to a few Glenrothes games this season.

Same here. I'm new to non-league football  and the other week at St Andrews V Oakley I was bemused to see the linesman wearing jeans.

I had simply assumed junior and senior leagues would have linesmen and thought volunteer linesmen were a purely amateur league thing.

4 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Same here. I'm new to non-league football  and the other week at St Andrews V Oakley I was bemused to see the linesman wearing jeans.

I had simply assumed junior and senior leagues would have linesmen and thought volunteer linesmen were a purely amateur league thing.

Yeah, I was exactly the same. I'm afraid you may also now be met with withering disdain for such ignorance.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:57, Poet of the Macabre said:

10 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Like both of you, and the vast majority of football fans, I grew up watching league football. I started watching non-league less than 20 years ago after moving to Linlithgow. I remember going to a league cup group match at Broxburn, and being amazed to see the linesman in a dug-out coat and, I swear to God, smoking a pipe. It had never occured to me that anywhere above park or school football would play without linesmen. I played inter-varsity football at uni without linesmen, and was once the linesman myself, but the standard was terrible (had to be if I was playing) so it was really just an extension of school football. 

It's a shame when people get mocked for not knowing something that they couldn't really have known before experiencing it. Every day is a school day. 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I played inter-varsity football at uni without linesmen, and was once the linesman myself, but the standard was terrible (had to be if I was playing) so it was really just an extension of school football. 

I think this is the main point. I've played football where there's not even a qualified ref and certainly not linesmen but I'd - wrongly - assumed even EoS level would be light years ahead of the laughable standard I played at.

Even at the game it seemed to be mostly club officials and friends & family. There wasn't much of a reaction when the goals were scored but I'm guessing this is another thing I'll just get used to after a few matches.

I really feel clubs at all levels should be falling over themselves to welcome new people to games but there does seem to be a reluctance to make it an easy process. I really like Glenrothes keeping their FB and Twitter regularly updated though, which is a good sign.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's a shame when people get mocked for not knowing something that they couldn't really have known before experiencing it. Every day is a school day. 

They’d help their cause by not referring to East of Scotland fitba as tubby lads sauntering around half cut on a Sunday morning.

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think this is the main point. I've played football where there's not even a qualified ref and certainly not linesmen but I'd - wrongly - assumed even EoS level would be light years ahead of the laughable standard I played at.

Even at the game it seemed to be mostly club officials and friends & family. There wasn't much of a reaction when the goals were scored but I'm guessing this is another thing I'll just get used to after a few matches.

I really feel clubs at all levels should be falling over themselves to welcome new people to games but there does seem to be a reluctance to make it an easy process. I really like Glenrothes keeping their FB and Twitter regularly updated though, which is a good sign.

Most non-league clubs are very welcoming, very friendly, much more so than at bigger clubs in my experience. Obviously there's not remotely the same atmosphere, though at the bigger Glasow/Ayrshire junior clubs you can get a bit of a league feel.

I finally reached the level that I played at when I watched a North Caley match recently between Invergordon and Orkney. It's the first time I've watched a match and though, yeah, I could have coped out there. That's where I draw the line, I'm not travelling to watch players as bad as I was.

3 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

They’d help their cause by not referring to East of Scotland fitba as tubby lads sauntering around half cut on a Sunday morning.

He very clearly and obviously did not say that. You should go back and read that post again. 

28 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I have and he clearly did. 

He didn’t... 🙄

TBH he makes a very fair point in regards to some teams not doing enough to welcome newcomers and create some sort of atmosphere in their grounds. It’s not a criticism of clubs as time and money doesn’t grow on trees but I believe in this day and ages they have to think out the box. Regular updates on social media, a well informed website that is regularly updated, competitions for supporters to get involved, etc...

Times have changed and people need to be encouraged into the ground in different ways than say 20-30 years ago

37 minutes ago, Spyro said:

He didn’t... 🙄

TBH he makes a very fair point in regards to some teams not doing enough to welcome newcomers and create some sort of atmosphere in their grounds. It’s not a criticism of clubs as time and money doesn’t grow on trees but I believe in this day and ages they have to think out the box. Regular updates on social media, a well informed website that is regularly updated, competitions for supporters to get involved, etc...

Times have changed and people need to be encouraged into the ground in different ways than say 20-30 years ago

Disagree.

I certainly wouldn’t call ... updated social media, a well informed website that is regularly updated, competitions for supporters to get involved, etc ... thinking outside the box. 

There’s no substitute for winning games and having entertaining players to get the crowd through the gates but if not a friendly welcome and some decent, facilities, food, programme etc goes a long way. 

I have and he clearly did. 
Calm doon pal [emoji1787]

No, what he said was that the level he played, and associated with no linesmen, was tubby lads. He's saying his mistake is thinking everything above that would have linesmen.

5 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I certainly wouldn’t call ... updated social media, a well informed website that is regularly updated, competitions for supporters to get involved, etc ... thinking outside the box.

It’s more than a lot of clubs manage... anyway, I was meaning more of the CONTENT rather than just the usual updates. Making it more interactive...

8 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

There’s no substitute for winning games and having entertaining players to get the crowd through the gates but if not a friendly welcome and some decent, facilities, food, programme etc goes a long way.

How can they see the decent facilities and taste the good food if they don’t even know they have a team playing in their town?! You have to get them in first...

Anyway, a programme and facilities??? Dinosaur! 🦕 :whistle

I love a decent programme btw, but it’s not the be-all...

Personally I wouldn’t mind having no food n pishing behind old creaking stand full of supporters who FEEL part of the club and aren’t just there to pay their ticket and be judgemental about the boys on the park.

Online-wise, there is LOADS of things teams could be doing to involve the young potential support on the fringes... at the end of the day, once we’re both gone it will be the kids that will keep the club alive. If you don’t get them early, they will just find something else to do with their time

Edited by Spyro

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

No, what he said was that the level he played, and associated with no linesmen, was tubby lads. He's saying his mistake is thinking everything above that would have linesmen.

Ok fair enough. Apologies @Poet of the Macabre I’ve picked you up wrong.