Highland Amateur Cup

Guest SJP79

Guest SJP79
13 hours ago, LoveFitbaw said:

Do players from the teams in the highland cup play for different teams on the winter? 

I don't think so because you cant play for another club team then play in the Highland Amateur cup, though some of the players will play for their island sides like the Shetland and Orkney team.

On 11/06/2019 at 19:13, LoveFitbaw said:

Do players from the teams in the highland cup play for different teams on the winter? 

Half the Alness NCL team used to disappear and leave them in the shit before the end of the season to play for Blackrock and others when I was there... dunno if this still happens though

Edited by Spyro

It used to be quite strict in the amateurs if you'd ever played on a professional form (like in HFL), so welfare used to be easier, hence most Highland leagues were welfare rather than amateur. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but you had to have a two week gap or something between signing. You could play NCL/HL and welfare, but clubs were limited to how many players could be on dual forms.

There's different recreational forms now and I think there's not really a difference now between welfare and amateur.

A lot of players in the amateur leagues lined up in the North Caledonian League, I certainly did. Some can also play for Highland League teams depending which forms they sign. 

As a side note, are Bellmac gonna get kicked out for fielding a Sunnybank ringer in the nets? Bit of a poor show if it’s true. 

1 hour ago, TheRealNumber5 said:

As a side note, are Bellmac gonna get kicked out for fielding a Sunnybank ringer in the nets? Bit of a poor show if it’s true. 

Offft! Scandal! Ffs no enough keepers up there anymore? I would’ve done it :lol:

Edited by Spyro

On 6/12/2019 at 22:29, TheRealNumber5 said:

They are indeed: Bellmac kicked out, Staxigoe reinstated. Will now play Thorfinn at home. Seems a bit pointless, apparently the alleged ringer wasn't particularly good and even scored an own goal. I'll not name names to spare blushes, but you can easily find them in the Groat.

Edited by Cyclizine

That’s a shocker! Can’t believe they thought they were going to get away with that. I imagine the league board will be having words with the Belmac management... :o

The ONE time I big-up an Inverness team as well :lol::whistle

• 2 weeks later...

Western Isles based Ness FC have withdrawn from the cup: they fielded a cup-tied player in their second round game against Helmsdale Utd. This doesn't mean a reprieve for the Sutherland side, Avoch have received a bye into the quarter finals.

18 minutes ago, TheRealNumber5 said:

Which I think is wrong. Helmsdale should be reinstated. I’ll never understand how they decide what should be replays or when the cut off is to be reinstated. Rules change every week these days. Gutted for the Ness boys though

I agree. I wonder if it is because Ness appear to have voluntarily withdrawn after realising their mistake, rather than being kicked out. It's not as if a trip to Avoch from Helmsdale would cause huge issues in terms of transport with a weeks' notice either.

10 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

looking forward to this weekends games,a couple of early kickoffs in maryburgh and culbokie mean ill hopefully make a couple of games

I'm away South this weekend unfortunately. Hopefully some good ties to pick from in the quarters though - Wick Groats v Castletown would be handy!

Edited by Cyclizine

This Saturday's third round fixtures:

Bye Avoch (Ness withdrawn)

1200 Point v Wick Groats (Culbokie)

1230 Maryburgh v Rendall

1400 Staxigoe Utd v Thorfinn

1500 Castletown v Lochinver
1500 Loch Ness v Pentland Utd (Ardersier)
1500 Stornoway Athletic v Sleat & Strath
1500 Whitedale v Lerwick Spurs

On 24/06/2019 at 19:07, TheRealNumber5 said:

Which I think is wrong. Helmsdale should be reinstated. I’ll never understand how they decide what should be replays or when the cut off is to be reinstated. Rules change every week these days. Gutted for the Ness boys though

Fancy a wee trip up to see a Ness home game.

thu.thumb.JPG.54b7710a6f396c5572f5a1ed6ff89dfb.JPG

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Fancy a wee trip up to see a Ness home game.

thu.thumb.JPG.54b7710a6f396c5572f5a1ed6ff89dfb.JPG

I did wonder where about they played! Ness covers that whole north part of the island, part of me is delighted it’s right at the furthest point! 😂

Just had a look on google maps, it’s a great wee ground. Would loved to have played there!

Edited by Spyro

10 hours ago, Spyro said:

I did wonder where about they played! Ness covers that whole north part of the island, part of me is delighted it’s right at the furthest point! 😂

Just had a look on google maps, it’s a great wee ground. Would loved to have played there!

Regular bus from Stornoway and a bar in the Social Club, bands on occasionally. Definitely on my list.