Jump to content
Clayhole Blue

Stranraer FC 2019-20 - heading for the big 150

Recommended Posts

I think the ref got  2 of the penalties decisions correct and the second one I would need to see again as I thought it was harsh at the time.  The first penalty the defender dragged him to the ground, made no attempt to win the ball so double jeapordy rule doesn't apply so a red card was the correct call. The third, don't think there is any debate clear penalty. I don't think the decisions where that crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having now seen the highlights the 2nd penalty was the correct decision and also the retake was also correct, however I feel it as a bit harsh the boy being sent off for the 1st penalty, he did get caught on the wrong side of Love and it looked more clumsy than it did deliberate. When all said in done Stranraer looked terrible in all areas off the park and even 11 v 11 we would still have won that game comfortibly.  Stranraer will need to improve dramatically or they are in serious trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would take a change of manager?

Personally I would we are by far the worst I have seen since Gerry and Knoxy. Bring back Ginge.

Judge us in May, I am sorry Faz but May will be too late to judge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 1870ToonBlue said:

Who would take a change of manager?

Personally I would we are by far the worst I have seen since Gerry and Knoxy. Bring back Ginge.

Judge us in May, I am sorry Faz but May will be too late to judge

Surely Faz has bought himself some time after the work he's done the last two years?

He's done an excellent job IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grant Anderson has improved since leaving, Issac Layne has again improved since leaving as has Aggie, McGuigan, Tom Lang another who was deemed surplus but while we were shipping goals with Captain Fantastic at centre half Tam was allowed to move on and got a better move for himself.  

So to say Faz has done an excellent job I am sceptical. Yes he has kept us up but Brechin and Stenny were poor last year tbf I dont know how we scraped by. Games against Dumbarton, Peterhead and Clyde I would have expected some sort of return but to have zero and concede 11 goals and score 3 is pretty pathetic and the buck stops with the manager. 2 seasons running now we have started overloaded with defenders and zero strikers so it probably tells its own story why we cant score. Mark Stewart is a good player but ineffective as a lone striker. I struggle to see how we move away from the drop zone I think it will be very difficult with the current manager but he has 20 months to run on his two year deal so I am all aboard the league 2 express... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems as if you’ve had horrendous luck with injuries so far, it’s  a shame as you had a good squad of players on paper. Really thought you’d easily avoid a relegation struggle this season but with each passing week and dire result it’s looking unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 1870ToonBlue said:

Grant Anderson has improved since leaving, Issac Layne has again improved since leaving as has Aggie, McGuigan, Tom Lang another who was deemed surplus but while we were shipping goals with Captain Fantastic at centre half Tam was allowed to move on and got a better move for himself.  

So to say Faz has done an excellent job I am sceptical. Yes he has kept us up but Brechin and Stenny were poor last year tbf I dont know how we scraped by. Games against Dumbarton, Peterhead and Clyde I would have expected some sort of return but to have zero and concede 11 goals and score 3 is pretty pathetic and the buck stops with the manager. 2 seasons running now we have started overloaded with defenders and zero strikers so it probably tells its own story why we cant score. Mark Stewart is a good player but ineffective as a lone striker. I struggle to see how we move away from the drop zone I think it will be very difficult with the current manager but he has 20 months to run on his two year deal so I am all aboard the league 2 express... 

A long way to go yet, you've still got those teams to play 3 times.

Looking at it from the outside, he took over a decent squad which he was then forced to obliterate half way through a season, from which he kept Stranraer up and then did the same again last year on what was widely tipped as the lowest budget in the league. Perhaps bringing Aitken back will work out for you, but I'd imagine Aitken hasn't yet worked with a budget the size of the one Faz has currently. You mention players who have improved after leaving Stranraer but you could probably point to players who have been of no use elsewhere that do well for Stranraer too (Connor McManus being one that springs to mind). Players fit at some places and not at others, it's not always down to the gaffer being useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really thought we had a squad capable of avoiding the drop aswell but in actual fact we dont. We have a team made up of decent players on paper but put them on the park and its the opposite. Connor is a good player but he needs time on the ball you dont get that at this level he has good 20min spells where everything goes through him then for the following 70 he is posted missing. I would love to see us back to a 4-4-2 I think you would see a different Stranraer side. 

Faz came in after Brian Reid in the Jan and we had a team that had good players that didnt like the manager that was easy for him to turn around, first season we had again a decent squad losing out shining ligts in the January, Wallace Belford and Bell (who wasnt playing well atall) finished the season 5th... last season again we looked a decent team on paper but we huffed and puffed all season long until the loan signings hit form in Ali McCann and Innes Cameron. This season has been poor so far to say the least. As for ginge and budgets at Stranraer I might be wrong but when he took over from knoxy his budget would have been less than what it is now And the following season after that his budget might have increased when we had Rangers in the league but that I am unsure of. But I would have him back in a heartbeat. Football that we seen under him was always exciting and if we conceded 3 you always knew we would score 2 or 3 maybe even 4. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not what folk expect to be honest. With a town that in general doesnt give a feck anymore. Relies on fans who moved away to come back and support them. How are we meant to compete season in season out with those crowds. The benefit is we train in glasgow so can get a good shot at getting players. I find it quite it bizarre how some locals think it would be good if we trained in stranraer. What sort o team would we have. Lower end of lowland league that's what. If we could get a couple of hundred more through the turnstiles we would be fine. Able to compete better. Thanks to the falkirk fans we finally managed a reasonable attendance on Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2019 at 14:13, Blue1870 said:

I do not what folk expect to be honest. With a town that in general doesnt give a feck anymore. Relies on fans who moved away to come back and support them. How are we meant to compete season in season out with those crowds. The benefit is we train in glasgow so can get a good shot at getting players. I find it quite it bizarre how some locals think it would be good if we trained in stranraer. What sort o team would we have. Lower end of lowland league that's what. If we could get a couple of hundred more through the turnstiles we would be fine. Able to compete better. Thanks to the falkirk fans we finally managed a reasonable attendance on Saturday. 

Who said about training in Stranraer? Never happen and would never work. Boys from Stranraer also feel as though they would have a given right to play not work hard and prove they are good enough to play which will also hinder some of there progress. 

What your complaining about is just a harsh reality of the support that we have but I could just about guarantee if we were winning games you would have more through the gates and also if the price was lowered to reflect whats being played on the park.

I get that everyone will have an opinion on what the see but I dunno where you have come from with that speech, training, crowds, locals... what we have is a good few seasoned pros some of which have returned because the grass wasnt greener and a few KIDS that are learning the game. But dont be fooled by the kids as there arent that many of them in the squad now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we'll see some more Saints youngsters headed your way at some point.

Ali McCann is now a mainstay in our team, and has been our best player in multiple games this year, including at Pittodrie and Easter Road. 

Looks a huge prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for info please. I thought I might come down on the train for the game in November but the Glasgow train appears to leave at 16,59 post-match. How long does it take to walk from the ground to the station as that seems a bit tight?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Looking for info please. I thought I might come down on the train for the game in November but the Glasgow train appears to leave at 16,59 post-match. How long does it take to walk from the ground to the station as that seems a bit tight?

 

Cheers

15minute walk. Station at far end of pier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Looking for info please. I thought I might come down on the train for the game in November but the Glasgow train appears to leave at 16,59 post-match. How long does it take to walk from the ground to the station as that seems a bit tight?

 

Cheers

Longer than that but think there's a later train 🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2019 at 20:49, Moonball said:

Longer than that but think there's a later train 🍻

There's definitely one later, think maybe around 7.

Already researched, as there's a few of us coming down for the game in March 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looking for info please. I thought I might come down on the train for the game in November but the Glasgow train appears to leave at 16,59 post-match. How long does it take to walk from the ground to the station as that seems a bit tight?
 
Cheers

According to National Rail app
There is a 1903 departure on Saturday. Change at Ayr for Glasgow Central.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...