Stranraer FC 2019-20 - heading for the big 150

9 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

You guys have 7 (seven) home matches left to play and only 4 away games.

You are clearly miles behind everyone in terms of crowds, finances, and crucially points.

Why dont for the last 7 homes games you try and bring a pal to the games with you.

Might not sound alot but if all 300 of you do it that's like having 8 home games.
Extra 300 x £14 = £4200 a game EXTRA.
4200 X 7 = £29,400 extra that the club clearly needs.

The fact that if you did that to your average attendance and it would put you on par with 2nd lowest in the league Montrose (challenging play offs) show how fine the margins are and how that extra money can help with an extra player or two during the season.

Someone saying crowds dwindling, if this is the case then the budget that they would have started the season for say 450 fans a game wouldn't cover the costs if only 347 is the average so costs need cut somewhere for that too.

Awful merry go round to be in but I think everyone in the league knew that yourselves would be massively struggling this year and potentially for a the next couple to recoup costs and save the club from dissappearing .

Just checked companies House and the club are a charity so can't see losses etc so can't comment on any of that.

Good post.

17 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Good post.

Sadly town appears in general not to give feck. Too many say they support the old firm yet dont go to see them. You are allowed to support both though. The apathy is rife. Too many with chips on their shoulders and too many with negative attitudes instead of trying to help the club develop. There is no reason why it couldn't prosper really. Just need people to give themselves a shake and go now and again. I don't think people in the town realise the money a fitba club brings into such a remote town. Out of 300 home fans. Probably 100 of them come from other parts of the country to watch them. So only 200odd from a town of 10000-12000 is pretty grim.

Hi Guys, heading down next week with a few of the lads and getting in on the 1pm train.

Just looking to head for a bite to eat and a couple of jars before the game, then afterwards back in town until the 7pm train back.

Any recommendations for food/drink (and footie) welcomed, and not too fussy (not a vegan among us !!) 😏

On 04/03/2020 at 15:23, macclyde+ said:

Hi Guys, heading down next week with a few of the lads and getting in on the 1pm train.

Just looking to head for a bite to eat and a couple of jars before the game, then afterwards back in town until the 7pm train back.

Any recommendations for food/drink (and footie) welcomed, and not too fussy (not a vegan among us !!) 😏

Custom house for wetherspoons type food. StranraerFC Fitba bar next door for pre match and post match. Their is also the pavilion bar at the ground next to turnstiles you will go in. Craigenelder is also a good pub with food just 5-10minutes walk from the ground and 10minutes walk from station at end of pier.

Edited by Blue1870

http://www.fitbastats.com/stranraer/manager_records.php
If you can find anything that says hes not then point it out please and thanks

I think that what these stats confirm is my own feeling that we have one of the worst defences we’ve had for many years.

Agree with those who’re saying that this squad should be significantly higher in the league than they currently are.

Probably good for us that the fourth division will be weaker next year with both Cove and Edinburgh likely to be promoted.

21 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Custom house for wetherspoons type food. StranraerFC Fitba bar next door for pre match and post match. Their is also the pavilion bar at the ground next to turnstiles you will go in. Craigenelder is also a good pub with food just 5-10minutes walk from the ground and 10minutes walk from station at end of pier.

Cheers Blue1870, appreciated 😁

21 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

What was it about today’s performance that prompted your ire?

The 4-1 defeat.. the 14th time in a row we have failed to win. But it obviously doesnt prompt you guys in the boardroom to act lets wait till the end of the season and do it. Why not give someone a chance to see what he has to work with and what he could add. But that would be to sensible of a decision for the old pals act

Sadly town appears in general not to give feck. Too many say they support the old firm yet dont go to see them. You are allowed to support both though. The apathy is rife. Too many with chips on their shoulders and too many with negative attitudes instead of trying to help the club develop. There is no reason why it couldn't prosper really. Just need people to give themselves a shake and go now and again. I don't think people in the town realise the money a fitba club brings into such a remote town. Out of 300 home fans. Probably 100 of them come from other parts of the country to watch them. So only 200odd from a town of 10000-12000 is pretty grim.

Well when I make it to the committee the first thing I’ll be doing is bringing back the Blue Bombshells. The crowds will soar! You mark my words!

15th game in a row 4 month 9days since our last win how many more do we need to suffer Blue Moon? Can you and the 11 others not see whats happening? 180people at a midweek game... all aboard the league 2 express said it long ago and got shot down. Shambles 

• 3 weeks later...

As a fan of a different club I’ve watched my team at Stair Park many, many times over the last 40+ years but when I visit the place nowadays it looks and feels fairly soul-less. In saying that I don’t mean to be nasty but there look to be fundamental things just not happening there AND I’m not referring to things on the pitch.

My club Montrose were in the doldrums for many years but since we focussed more on being a Community Club and got a plastic pitch (which is used 6 days a week) we can and do use all our facilities every day. On matchdays our excellent hospitality facilities are buzzing and usually fully booked every game thus earning vital extra income as well as connectivity with locals. It rubs off on the town as well with all sorts of Community focussed things going on every day run by the Montrose F.C. Community Trust both at Links Park and by taking things out into the wider area.

Stranraer also have a grandstand which is almost a carbon copy of that at Montrose BUT it does not look fully used or even open between fortnightly games and I doubt if they have installed hospitality facilities or got plans to use the Stair Park facilities every day.

This isn’t meant as a slight on Stranraer and it doesn’t guarantee a winning team on the pitch but I do feel a lot more needs to be done to get the football club and the rest of the town pulling together with a strategic Community based plan. BUT it takes somebody to spearhead it locally.

Or, carry on as you are and simply hope for the best. I hope somebody at Stranraer takes notice and starts to put a bit more energy into this good 150 year old club.

Town has a strange attitude to its team. You have the diehards. All the people that moved away that still go home and away now and again. However there is too many people with strange chips on their shoulders in the town. Nobody has been able to change the views of the haters as of yet. Myself and others who live away find it very strange as the town is very lucky to have an spfl1 team with a population between 10 and 12k. 

There is good hospitality at the park. 2 executive boxes and an internal sponsors suite. The bad design of stand means the rooms arent big. That isn't really a problem at the moment though. Old folks chase away the young team who have been singing and trying to create an atmosphere. 

Apathy is rife it really is bizarre and to think the money a football club has brought to the town. Anyway I've put 25quid in the pot on the online donation fund. I feel my 15quid most weeks was a donation anyway. I wish more felt the same.

Edited by Blue1870

12 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

As a fan of a different club I’ve watched my team at Stair Park many, many times over the last 40+ years but when I visit the place nowadays it looks and feels fairly soul-less. In saying that I don’t mean to be nasty but there look to be fundamental things just not happening there AND I’m not referring to things on the pitch.

My club Montrose were in the doldrums for many years but since we focussed more on being a Community Club and got a plastic pitch (which is used 6 days a week) we can and do use all our facilities every day. On matchdays our excellent hospitality facilities are buzzing and usually fully booked every game thus earning vital extra income as well as connectivity with locals. It rubs off on the town as well with all sorts of Community focussed things going on every day run by the Montrose F.C. Community Trust both at Links Park and by taking things out into the wider area.

Stranraer also have a grandstand which is almost a carbon copy of that at Montrose BUT it does not look fully used or even open between fortnightly games and I doubt if they have installed hospitality facilities or got plans to use the Stair Park facilities every day.

This isn’t meant as a slight on Stranraer and it doesn’t guarantee a winning team on the pitch but I do feel a lot more needs to be done to get the football club and the rest of the town pulling together with a strategic Community based plan. BUT it takes somebody to spearhead it locally.

Or, carry on as you are and simply hope for the best. I hope somebody at Stranraer takes notice and starts to put a bit more energy into this good 150 year old club.

Also the town about 10 years ago not sure decided the school academy would get the 3g pitch inside the running track. Thats fine but stranraerfc look after it. Get grief for doing so. I wish we had either a tremendous grass pitch or a new 4g pitch. Then all our reserves youth teams and ladies could play on stair park. 

Some wee neds fae the toon would probably burn it tho🤣

On 07/04/2020 at 08:27, Blue1870 said:

Also the town about 10 years ago not sure decided the school academy would get the 3g pitch inside the running track. Thats fine but stranraerfc look after it. Get grief for doing so. I wish we had either a tremendous grass pitch or a new 4g pitch. Then all our reserves youth teams and ladies could play on stair park. 

Some wee neds fae the toon would probably burn it tho🤣

I think ours got burned during one of the games against Rangers a few seasons ago when some nerd through a flame onto the pitch. Had to keep putting sand in the hole to finish the game.

Anyway, good luck Stranny in this 150th season. Hopefully the town will at some point soon see the value of a SPFL team in the town and realise that moves should be made towards Stair Park becoming a community asset and developed as such.