Stranraer FC 2019-20 - heading for the big 150

On 24/08/2019 at 22:04, Moonball said:

Max was suspended for one game as far as I know, after conceding the penalty up at Forfar. He's obviously still considered number one but Dale didn't put a foot wrong so it arguably would've been harsh to drop him.

Think he's a good few steps above previous backup keepers we've had so there's a bit of healthy competition.

Thanks for that.

Not that Burgess is at fault for our defeats but I’d have Currie back in goals. He’s been one of best performers the last few season. Won us far more games than he’s lost us.

Heard tonight Gal is out for the season. Anyone know that situation with his contact, pay as you play or weekly wage?
If he isn’t pay as you play and there’s truth that he’s out for the season we need him off the wage bill ASAP and get someone else in. Unfortunate and harsh on Gall but squad is thin enough without passengers.

Seen enough from the team to suggest we’ll be ok but going to be hard fought season once again.

54 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Not that Burgess is at fault for our defeats but I’d have Currie back in goals. He’s been one of best performers the last few season. Won us far more games than he’s lost us.

Heard tonight Gal is out for the season. Anyone know that situation with his contact, pay as you play or weekly wage?
If he isn’t pay as you play and there’s truth that he’s out for the season we need him off the wage bill ASAP and get someone else in. Unfortunate and harsh on Gall but squad is thin enough without passengers.

Seen enough from the team to suggest we’ll be ok but going to be hard fought season once again.

If Grant Gallagher isn't on a pay as you play deal, why on earth should he rip up his contract and walk/hobble away (unless you're suggesting that Stranraer come to some sort of financial settlement with him)? He has been massively unlucky with injuries ever since getting hurt playing for us at Starks in September 2016.

2 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

If Grant Gallagher isn't on a pay as you play deal, why on earth should he rip up his contract and walk/hobble away (unless you're suggesting that Stranraer come to some sort of financial settlement with him)? He has been massively unlucky with injuries ever since getting hurt playing for us at Starks in September 2016.

Sorry to hear about Gal,  was playing well for Airdrie when he got injured at Gayfield looked a cruciate  at the time that was back in February,   Stranraer knew his injury situation when they signed U.K. Would like to think they would honour his contract..

Sorry to hear about Gal,  was playing well for Airdrie when he got injured at Gayfield looked a cruciate  at the time that was back in February,   Stranraer knew his injury situation when they signed U.K. Would like to think they would honour his contract..

No choice but to honour a contract unless the player is willing to settle for less. You have to ask how much due diligence was done before he was made an offer.

Certainly wouldn’t be giving him a settlement. Crap that players have clubs arms twisted when it comes to this. In the normal working world you’d be put under performance review and heaved out the door at you couldn’t perform. Don’t see why it should be any different in paid sport. Especially when everything is so tight money wise.

Club owe Gallagher nothing, picked him when was out of football and he left to join another part time club. Came came back ( literally is seems ) when he was again struggling for a club.

Wonder if signing Gall was a bit of desperation from the manager. Given his troubles.
Funny situation at the same time with Smith. We were told he’d be invited to pre season to prove he was fit then we signed him before pre season training started, all be it on an amateur contract.

Don’t envy the manager trying to recruit. Budget and geography really hamper things.

Certainly wouldn’t be giving him a settlement. Crap that players have clubs arms twisted when it comes to this. In the normal working world you’d be put under performance review and heaved out the door at you couldn’t perform. Don’t see why it should be any different in paid sport. Especially when everything is so tight money wise.

Club owe Gallagher nothing, picked him when was out of football and he left to join another part time club. Came came back ( literally is seems ) when he was again struggling for a club.

Wonder if signing Gall was a bit of desperation from the manager. Given his troubles.
Funny situation at the same time with Smith. We were told he’d be invited to pre season to prove he was fit then we signed him before pre season training started, all be it on an amateur contract.

Don’t envy the manager trying to recruit. Budget and geography really hamper things.
Just as an aside...
Do Stranraer actually train in Stranraer?
That's usually what players look for when moving clubs, like when Bryan Prunty played with Arbroath, they trained in Perth and I'm sure Peterhead train elsewhere closer to the central belt.
Its a big thing for players only going a trek once a fortnight rather than 2/3 times a week.

On 01/09/2019 at 08:21, EdinburghBlue said:

No choice but to honour a contract unless the player is willing to settle for less. You have to ask how much due diligence was done before he was made an offer.

Was he injured when you signed him? What sort of injury is it that’s keeping him out anyway? 

18 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Just as an aside...
That's usually what players look for when moving clubs, like when Bryan Prunty played with Arbroath, they trained in Perth and I'm sure Peterhead train elsewhere closer to the central belt.
Its a big thing for players only going a trek once a fortnight rather than 2/3 times a week.

They train in Glasgow I’m sure 

20 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Just as an aside...

I expect someone with more current knowledge than I will be along soon.  

But 30, 40 years ago, I'm fairly sure much of the training was done at Vale of Clyde. 

On 01/09/2019 at 16:18, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

They train in Glasgow I’m sure 

10 hours ago, beefybake said:

I expect someone with more current knowledge than I will be along soon.  

But 30, 40 years ago, I'm fairly sure much of the training was done at Vale of Clyde. 

Renfrew. King George V pitches next to the High School. 

On 01/09/2019 at 10:28, Mattmc said:

What? :lol:

Grant Gallagher is not medically fit to do his job. He wasn't medically fit when you signed him on that year long contract which states you need to pay him a wage for its entirety. You can't just punt him out the door because his injury is now keeping him out for the year - you need to pay him what you signed up for. Your example in the "normal working world" is also complete nonsense - if you were deemed medically unfit to work and your boss punted you out the door you'd be well within your rights to take them to court (unless of course you signed a contract with a clause for termination in it). 

"The club owe Gallagher nothing", yes, except for the those wages that you quite literally owe him.

• 2 weeks later...

What is happening at Stranrear!! I fully understand the financial constraints but today was embarrassing. Yes the refs decisions were very questionable but see beyond this!! That shouldn’t determine the manner in which we got beat today. Worrying times ahead for the club unless personnel are prepared to self reflect!!!

3 hours ago, Rosie7 said:

What is happening at Stranrear!! I fully understand the financial constraints but today was embarrassing. Yes the refs decisions were very questionable but see beyond this!! That shouldn’t determine the manner in which we got beat today. Worrying times ahead for the club unless personnel are prepared to self reflect!!!

I have a soft spot for Stranraer after a few great away days there. Really suprised how poor you’re doing this season (the Raith win aside). Thought you had the making so of a good mid table team but it looks like it may be another relegation battle sadly. 

Would help if the we picked a decent starting line up. Three creative players on bench. There was no link between strikers and midfield. Too many defenders on pitch. Sitting deep allowing clyde to dictate play. Inviting them on. Wave after wave off attack. Horrible to watch. The ref decided to get involved with come crazy decisions but to be honest we stunk the place out.