Stranraer FC 2019-20 - heading for the big 150

Wouldn’t read too much in to our pre season results but 0 wins doesn’t look great although we maybe should of taken more from Saturdays game.

Midfield concerns me. McManus and Thomson is not a great partnership. Neither has the legs to go box to box or even to sit in and do the job of being busy in front of the defence.
McManus try’s to play as a quarter back but distribution is nowhere near good enough to do that roll. Manager seems a huge fan though.

Interesting to see what shape we take with the defence. Looks like it might be a back three with two wing backs. Still early to say who’d be the preferred choice in those positions.
Still surprised at the choice to keep Cummins over the other defenders. He was no worse or no better. Hopefully with Robbo involved, his experience and drive can shore things up a little.

Up front still a little dry. Looks like we’re relying on Mark Stewart to be the main man. A man who missed half of last season and wasn’t exactly prolific before that. This in a team that finished mid table the league below us.

Loan players are a bit of an unknown entity at the minute but hopefully provide something.

Faz said at the end of season do we’ll still have a few tough seasons ahead. Don’t think he’s far away. Although if there is a man to steal us through that I’d say it’s him.

Hopefully someone can along with a more positive post. Remember I’ve not mentioned Jamie Hamill.

3 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Wouldn’t read too much in to our pre season results but 0 wins doesn’t look great although we maybe should of taken more from Saturdays game.

Midfield concerns me. McManus and Thomson is not a great partnership. Neither has the legs to go box to box or even to sit in and do the job of being busy in front of the defence.
McManus try’s to play as a quarter back but distribution is nowhere near good enough to do that roll. Manager seems a huge fan though.

Interesting to see what shape we take with the defence. Looks like it might be a back three with two wing backs. Still early to say who’d be the preferred choice in those positions.
Still surprised at the choice to keep Cummins over the other defenders. He was no worse or no better. Hopefully with Robbo involved, his experience and drive can shore things up a little.

Up front still a little dry. Looks like we’re relying on Mark Stewart to be the main man. A man who missed half of last season and wasn’t exactly prolific before that. This in a team that finished mid table the league below us.

Loan players are a bit of an unknown entity at the minute but hopefully provide something.

Faz said at the end of season do we’ll still have a few tough seasons ahead. Don’t think he’s far away. Although if there is a man to steal us through that I’d say it’s him.

Hopefully someone can along with a more positive post. Remember I’ve not mentioned Jamie Hamill.

Well done Mattmc only 80% negative post before season starts.

On 13/07/2019 at 07:40, Clayhole Blue said:

He had a really exciting debut up at Brechin and worked hard after that...

On 13/07/2019 at 19:19, EdinburghBlue said:

He was great for about 20 minutes on his debut. Rapidly became clear he had been loaned out because he wasn’t going to make it at the top level.

Sounds like someone who needs to find his way again. That move to Celtic was probably too big a step too soon in his career.

I was really impressed with him today. Sure his final ball and decision making maybe need a bit of work, but he looks to have oodles or natural ability. With his low centre of gravity, exciting style of play and erratic end product he reminds me a bit of Andy Stirling actually. Which is absolutely no bad thing.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

As mentioned, PJ came off the bench for his debut up at Brechin and really looked the part. Off the top of my head, he set up Luke Donnelly for the equaliser and could have scored the winner but fired at Connor Brennan. Then, in his home debut, he scored the winner against Dumbarton.

That's probably about as good as it got though. I'm not sure of the reasoning but he never really lived up to those moments and in the end was a bit 'meh'. That said, I spoke to him at East Fife and he was quite open in knowing he needed to do more and was quite forthright about that. Best of luck to him and if he can perform like he did in his first few games then he will do well for Dumbarton. He also scored a decent strike against Partick in the Scottish Cup.

Can I cancel a lot of my previous post?

Though McManus did really well in the middle for us tonight. Very tidy on the ball and did a lot of dirty work too. Thomo looked fitter too and played alright.
Really impressed with Allan at left back. Cummins and Hamilton looked well too.
Few more competitive games together and we’ll be closer to it.

Good point was made tonight. Only four of the players starting tonight played with us last season. These cup games will give a far better environment to help opposed to friendlies where your chopping and changing so often.

Can I cancel a lot of my previous post?

Though McManus did really well in the middle for us tonight. Very tidy on the ball and did a lot of dirty work too. Thomo looked fitter too and played alright.
Really impressed with Allan at left back. Cummins and Hamilton looked well too.
Few more competitive games together and we’ll be closer to it.

Good point was made tonight. Only four of the players starting tonight played with us last season. These cup games will give a far better environment to help opposed to friendlies where your chopping and changing so often.

LB was excellent

Thought your number 23 done quite well last night, could have a bit about him. What position does that big lanky number 2 play? Seemed to run about like a headless chicken for the majority of the game just trying to make his presence felt which he did eventually do by poleaxing one of our players.

The wee bald centre half Hammill(?) looks like the kind of bloke that wouldn't be able to stop himself rolling if he started. So so round.

Keeper seemed pretty decent too, few good saves.

Edited by Steven Mill Out

Aye Robertson played out of position strangely. Hasn't got the pace for right midfield and struggled. He is a holding centre mid , centre back or probably a right back his best position. None of us were sure as why he was played there. He looked totally lost and that resulted in the odd bad challenge or safety first pass instead of bombing up wing. Wasnt until we made subs we carried a threat on both wings.

Edited by Blue1870

Lads just a quick heads up about next week. If you know in advance you’re coming up to the game can you book in advance to stop queuing. The technology today was fine afaik but the Falkirk fans and a lot of our own fans didn’t bother booking so had to queue at the ticket office.