Stranraer FC 2019-20 - heading for the big 150

Ok, so we move on to another season in League One with at least 3 new clubs moving into the division. (Falkirk, Peterhead and either Clyde or Annan - Queens looking less likely)

Faz has already released his list of those departing and those he has made offers to - we await their response. He has also started looking at potential recruits too.

What do we have to look forward to, who do we want to keep and who do we want/need to bring in to strengthen the squad?

Oh and we have a big birthday to look forward to!

IMG_1557610224.579133.thumb.jpg.1e56c3f9c1ce8c805876e1caeddcaeb5.jpg

I'd like to see Victoria return, now he's been released from Airdrie.  I'm sure he will get better offers from elsewhere, but hope he remembers how much he enjoyed playing at Stair Park...we certainly enjoyed watching him.

Most of all, I'd like to see the attendance improving.  It's embarrassing when the visiting team brings more supporters than we can muster!  

And celebrating our birthday in League One again, is as ambitious as I'm going to get!

Agree with Victoria returning. Going on what Faz has said it's going to be another youthful squad on a low budget. If that is the case Victoria to me would be useful, in that he can play a couple of positions.

I've seen a few names available that I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on,  Craig Barr would be one of them.  Not sure the situation with David Ferguson at Ayr, he was loaned out all this season so if he's not in their plans I think he'd be a good addition.

I expect to see Grant Gallagher return following his release from Airdrie. A fit Gal would add a bit of experience and possibly replace some of Turners energy should he move on.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic I think we're going to be up against it resource wise,  so would settle on survival. The addition of Peterhead and Falkirk are going to make it an even tougher league, I think Clyde would add to that, not so much Annan.

Be great to mark our special year with ourselves, Annan and Queens in the one league but can't see this happening.

We've got a revamped Pavilion Bar to look forward to so hopefully some extra revenue there.  

The committee had started work at the tail end of last season to try and secure the support of our young Ultra group . Be great to see this continue throughout the season and hopefully have a new generation through the gate. The managers speech at the end of season award will of done this no harm.

All in all, another season surviving in this league would be an achievement. That and a good cup run would be fine.

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

Agree with Victoria returning. Going on what Faz has said it's going to be another youthful squad on a low budget. If that is the case Victoria to me would be useful, in that he can play a couple of positions.

I've seen a few names available that I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on,  Craig Barr would be one of them.  Not sure the situation with David Ferguson at Ayr, he was loaned out all this season so if he's not in their plans I think he'd be a good addition.

I expect to see Grant Gallagher return following his release from Airdrie. A fit Gal would add a bit of experience and possibly replace some of Turners energy should he move on.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic I think we're going to be up against it resource wise,  so would settle on survival. The addition of Peterhead and Falkirk are going to make it an even tougher league, I think Clyde would add to that, not so much Annan.

Be great to mark our special year with ourselves, Annan and Queens in the one league but can't see this happening.

We've got a revamped Pavilion Bar to look forward to so hopefully some extra revenue there.  

The committee had started work at the tail end of last season to try and secure the support of our young Ultra group . Be great to see this continue throughout the season and hopefully have a new generation through the gate. The managers speech at the end of season award will of done this no harm.

All in all, another season surviving in this league would be an achievement. That and a good cup run would be fine.

If you're going with a low budget I'll be shocked, amazed and horrified if you sign Craig Barr.

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

Not sure the situation with David Ferguson at Ayr, he was loaned out all this season so if he's not in their plans I think he'd be a good addition.

He is under contract for next season. Signed the extension shortly before going on loan to Dumbarton.

We’ve (Elgin) signed Andy Macdonald. We had him on loan about 18 months ago and I thought he was a reasonable prospect then and would have thought he was good enough to develop into a player who could handle League 1, but obviously not. Good enough to be a regular League 2 player?

13 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

We’ve (Elgin) signed Andy Macdonald. We had him on loan about 18 months ago and I thought he was a reasonable prospect then and would have thought he was good enough to develop into a player who could handle League 1, but obviously not. Good enough to be a regular League 2 player?

Thought he did ok but was moved around a lot without staking a claim for any particular position as SF struggled to find the best defence with the players available. He was caught out a few times, things that stick in the mind were the goal that came from the simple ball over the top vs Airdrie and heading the ball out of play when under no pressure and only Currie nearby.

He got a decent run at centre back at the end of the season (with two other defenders out) and was close to MOM in at least one game. I thought he would have been kept as a squad player but with three defenders being released you have to assume SF has a plan to rebuild at the back.

On 5/12/2019 at 08:48, Mattmc said:

Would be quite pleased to see Joao return to the club. He provides a little bit of creativity which is needed up that end of the park. Fully agree on the fact he can play a couple of positions being handy as well. It seems to be all quiet on the new signing front, which doesn't bother me in the sense the new season is still a wee while away.

That said, I'm not sure on the idea of signing Barr or Gallagher. Both have had their issues with injuries and if - as expected - we are going to run a small squad, we cannot afford someone being sidelined for lengthy periods. I think Gal is exactly the type of player we need though. He is probably one of my favourite players from that Stevie Aitken team. He might not have got the goals of a Longworth or Malcolm or the wing play of Gibson or Winter but he put in a great shift in the middle of the park.

Squad so far: David Smith.

On 15/05/2019 at 11:03, TAFKAC said:

Would be quite pleased to see Joao return to the club. He provides a little bit of creativity which is needed up that end of the park. Fully agree on the fact he can play a couple of positions being handy as well. It seems to be all quiet on the new signing front, which doesn't bother me in the sense the new season is still a wee while away.

That said, I'm not sure on the idea of signing Barr or Gallagher. Both have had their issues with injuries and if - as expected - we are going to run a small squad, we cannot afford someone being sidelined for lengthy periods. I think Gal is exactly the type of player we need though. He is probably one of my favourite players from that Stevie Aitken team. He might not have got the goals of a Longworth or Malcolm or the wing play of Gibson or Winter but he put in a great shift in the middle of the park.

Squad so far: David Smith.

Correction...Squad so far:  David Smith, Max Currie and Conor Mcmanus!

Decent start in terms of retaining players; Max has developed into a really steady goal keeper, Smith very consistent and McManus on his day more than capable at this level.
Personally preferred McManus at centre back, thought we played a ball a bit more rather than lumping it forward.

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

Decent start in terms of retaining players; Max has developed into a really steady goal keeper, Smith very consistent and McManus on his day more than capable at this level.
Personally preferred McManus at centre back, thought we played a ball a bit more rather than lumping it forward.

I also preferred him at centre half where he was super cool on the ball and didn’t just hoof it aimlessly up the park like some other centre backs did for most of the season. Good signs so far as that’s 3 good players re-signed  but surprised hammil hasn’t signed on again as thought he would of been first to sign terms again.

Jason Marr released by Stirling Albion. Not seen him play for a couple of seasons but always looked a decent player with Alloa. A bit of experience about him now having played in Championship, League 1 & 2.  Maybe the centre half we were missing last season.