How much did he have access to?

Obviously no one has an exact figure but you only have to look at the fact he pretty much signed a new team in January to know that he’s got access to a bigger budget than the rest of the teams. You’re either ignorant or stupid to try to argue otherwise.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Yes. The 2 sides above us had blank chequebooks so their managers are out of the running by default. Then there's Robbo who, on an absolute shoestring, had ICT on third and a Hampden appearance. It's not even nearly up for debate. 

Does the fact Pep has more money than the rest of the managers in England rule him out by of being the best by default? No.

Regardless of whether you think they are better or not, you can’t rule out 1/5 of the management teams because they have more money than the rest.

FWIW, I’d say Neilson is a better manager than Robertson and his management achievements are almost as good with a fraction of the time in management.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Obviously no one has an exact figure but you only have to look at the fact he pretty much signed a new team in January to know that he’s got access to a bigger budget than the rest of the teams. You’re either ignorant or stupid to try to argue otherwise.

I don't think he's ignorant....

8 hours ago, NEFarab said:

FWIW, I’d say Neilson is a better manager than Robertson and his management achievements are almost as good with a fraction of the time in management.

Almost as good?

Requires three more trophy wins to be on par.

Where are they gonna come from?

Too be fair both Ray and Laszlo had big budgets too. While budgets help, it does give access to players others can't bring in, not every expensive or higher paid player is better. 

You can have all the money in the world, but you've got to be able to use it, and on the other side a good manager can make a good team ( see Livi).

Being able to make signings in January is very useful, St. Mirren 2 years ago as an example, but it doesn't always work, again manager's ability has to come into it to get it to work quickly.

Bit of fence sitting there I know but its not always easy to say who is the best, but Robbo like Butcher does seem to work at ICT.

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s not really that hard to work out that Dundee Utd have a bigger budget than ICT.

United spent more money than us this season...

58 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

What a load of mewing pish. "Obviously, the bigger clubs will play on the bigger level. Dundee are above United in leagues, but so are Hamilton so we can disregard this" 

Specky twat. 

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

What a load of mewing pish. "Obviously, the bigger clubs will play on the bigger level. Dundee are above United in leagues, but so are Hamilton so we can disregard this" 

Specky twat. 

Anyone who spends that much time trying to argue that one non-entity football side is larger than another non-entity football side, is OFTW.

3 hours ago, micaley68 said:

Almost as good?

Requires three more trophy wins to be on par.

Where are they gonna come from?

Aye, 2 challenge cups and a fucking League of Ireland cup. 

I can then ask you what Robertson has achieved in the top flight? Not as much as Neilson has. 

Plus Robertson started his managerial career just three years after Neilson started his playing career and yet his achievements barely beat Neilson’s.

1 hour ago, NEFarab said:

Aye, 2 challenge cups and a fucking League of Ireland cup. 

I can then ask you what Robertson has achieved in the top flight? Not as much as Neilson has. 

Plus Robertson started his managerial career just three years after Neilson started his playing career and yet his achievements barely beat Neilson’s.

Still don't see where Neilson is gonna win more trophies though?

Doubtful with United tbh.

Just now, micaley68 said:

Still don't see where Neilson is gonna win more trophies though?

Doubtful with United tbh.

Look at some of the shite that won trophies in the 5 years prior to Celtic getting Rodgers. 

If that pish can win trophies we certainly have a chance to win more. 

2 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

Look at some of the shite that won trophies in the 5 years prior to Celtic getting Rodgers. 

If that pish can win trophies we certainly have a chance to win more. 

Aye right ya are!

To go back to your original statement Neilson has achieved exactly a quarter of the success of Robertson.

So not as close as you are trying to make out.

5 minutes ago, micaley68 said:

Aye right ya are!

To go back to your original statement Neilson has achieved exactly a quarter of the success of Robertson.

So not as close as you are trying to make out.

Well you keep clinging onto the fact your manager is the best in the championship because he won the Irish league cup despite the fact Neilson outsmarted him twice in a week.

2 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

Well you keep clinging onto the fact your manager is the best in the championship because he won the Irish league cup despite the fact Neilson outsmarted him twice in a week.

:lol::lol::lol:

Not read the thread and TBH I don't think I can bring myself to. I'm still absolutely gutted about the result. I felt before the game that if we took the lead we'd have a great chance to overturn the deficit but if we lost the first goal we'd struggle to turn it around and it proved.

We really should have bagged a goal or two before that incredibly harsh penalty decision. Excellent spot kick from Clark but as soon as that went in you could see the players heads drop a bit and I don't really blame them. Poor defending for the United second goal really killed off any lingering hope and the third was just cruel but probably deserved for United. By this point you could see which team had benefited from several days of rest prior to the first leg.

Most of the ICT players were absolutely burst by this point - Walsh, Trafford and White were all dead on their feet yet kept plugging away (White especially) and put the lamentable effort from folk like Austin to shame. Plenty of effort but not enough clinical finishing / quality over the piece. It's hard to have another contentious decision go against us in a game against United but over the two games we failed to find the net once which speaks volumes. As has been said numerous times this season we can't continue to pass up chances like the ones we missed on Friday.