I always enjoy reading these threads after a game. So much knee jerk nonsense spouted early on. Contrary to popular opinion I thought Robertson was talking a lot of shite. I haven't seen replays of the penalty but it looked quite clear cut at the game. Even if harsh that was the only significant decision which went against Caley over 180 minutes in which they were pumped 4-0. 

On the second occasion Clark hit the post it looked to me before he struck the ball that the angle was too tight to get it in. Needless to say ...

Edited by Pull My Strings

Crown were immense tonight. Long time since I’ve hear Beautiful Sunday being still being sung as I’ve walked up the road.

Could have been so different if it hadn’t been for Seigrist, Cally had the better chance right up until the penalty. Thought Sow was pretty decent holding the ball up, and was delighted when he scored. Pav is Pav, top player.

Definitely the underdogs in the next games, I dread getting Hamilton.

2 hours ago, micaley68 said:

Oh that's ok then, for a minute I thought you were talking about someone relevant to the two Edinburgh clubs.

But I suppose at the end of the day Hibs aren't relevant, so you just fire on chief.

Spoiler

GOC.png.8dbfa41eec44cf60305591223fda3ac2.png

Small team in a two team city type post imo. ^^^^^

Spoiler

GOC.gif.49b6e5ef584be6f4101a458ba8f3fc5c.gif

Not denying the small team moniker then??

Spoiler

5cdf366403ab2_GOC2.gif.f5d645761f2113acf168584b8fdafdfa.gif

Accepting mediocrity then??

Honestly behind the Jambos? Natural order right enough then.

Spoiler

5cdf367d4f9a4_GOC3.gif.344f0d7195de74d1e046cf1a43f1ee84.gif

1 hour ago, micaley68 said:

Yeah, that's the slayer of the Hibs I was talking about.

Cheers for posting.

What was it again 27 goals?

Or every fucking time he played against you?

Spoiler

reddies.gif.5a2fba5443d139d72aa1fe26b8eca236.gif

Just like in Shakespeare, your tragedy was in five acts.

If you wish to discuss this further, we can set up a thread for the next time Hibs and Caley meet on the Premiership Domestic Cups forum.

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Interesting Sutton suggesting the neutrals want united back up. I do reckon the top 6 of the spl probably do due to the bigger away crowds and tannadice has always been seen as a bigger away day than dens.

Don’t think bottom 6 of spl would be overly fussed

Elaborate on this statement please.

Thank you. 

The penalty was harsh and very unlucky, but I can see why it was given. With the deflection it was clearly unintentional but nearly every handball decision is, despite the laws of the game saying it has to be deliberate. If the ball had hit the defender's hand directly without a deflection, it would still be just as accidental but I suspect many would say a penalty was fair, if unlucky. 

Not seen a replay of the penalty United were given, nor one of Safranko's booking when the game was safely won.

But at the time I thought it was a red card, and a daft challenge from a player who had no need to make it.

Also, throughout the season I've been very critical of Siegrist, so it's only right that I should praise his efforts tonight.

9 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not seen a replay of the penalty United were given, nor one of Safranko's booking when the game was safely won.

But at the time I thought it was a red card, and a daft challenge from a player who had no need to make it.

Also, throughout the season I've been very critical of Siegrist, so it's only right that I should praise his efforts tonight.

I only saw the first half but United keeper was excellent tonight.

20 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Again I sense the desperation to win with the DU fans, and tbf after 4 seasons in the Championship who can blame them.

For us I hope we win tonight but if not it's not the end of the world as it is I feel it is for some of the arabs.

During Tuesday's game the pained expression on Boaby Neilson's face at times reminded me of a guy hingin onto the bonnet of a stolen runaway car, and I'm wondering that if you lose tonight will he be fired?

Anyway the best of luck tonight. 

Thanks for the good luck. 

All the best for next season 

Needless to say I really enjoyed the game last night!!!

Where to start? Caley were good 1st half, certainly better than us, however, I am going to give United the benefit of the doubt here. I believe that they played within themselves for the first 45 minutes and were just looking to weather the storm that Caley inevitably were going to (and did) fire at us. Caley were onto everything and closing us down quickly and hunted in packs. That being said, I was thinking that if we kept it to 0-0 by half time, Caley would have blown themselves out by the second half, given their exertions in the first half and in previous games. This proved to be the case and we had the bonus of being awarded the pen just before half time into the bargain. Dubious or not when awarded you takes the chance and smash it home, we will have a dodgy one given against us soon enough. Taking the lead into the second half against a tired and deflated Caley, there was only going to be 1 outcome tbf.

I get the sense of injustice Caley feel, and fair play to Robbo for calling it out and also for his comportment at the end of the game; he showed real class to do what he did, shaking all our players hands as well as applauding us. That being said (as has been previously mentioned in this thread), he wasn’t talking about dodgy decisions when Caley were awarded a dodgy pen ad scored a blatantly offside goal that effectively turned the tie in Ayr. We have had a few breaks over the past few games where we have had the benefit of the doubt on a couple of important decisions. Perhaps this is a sign that the curse that has been held over us for the past few years is starting to lift.

As for the players; I thought they were immense. Benji had a great game and was pivotal in us weathering that first half storm, and has possibly won over a few doubters with a few of his recent performances. The centre backs were also very good and didn’t allow the towering Caley players much at all from set pieces. Robson still looked very uncomfortable in left back and I get the fear whenever anyone runs at him. Left mid please and a more solid left back will be vital.

Bouhenna and Harkes were outstanding and I whilst I have had my doubts about him, Harkes showed quality that I haven’t seen before, and Bouhenna slotted into this role with aplomb.

Mcmullen was well marshalled throughout and always had 2 on him, and yet he still managed to boss the game and create chances; fucking fair play Paul!! Sow looks like a cart horse trying to compete in the Grand National; way too slow and cumbersome, however took his goal really well. We need him picking up the ball near the 6 yard box, not the halfway line. This goal could be fucking pivotal in terms of his confidence, and he could yet have a vital role to play in terms of our promotion hopes.

Also well done to Clark for taking the pen; a fine finish under pressure when he was still winded form Mcmullen’s assault on him just before, and for the seer comedy of that miss. Glad we can laugh about it rather than rue yet another missed opportunity. Pav took his goal well.

All in all, convincing win and 4 or 5 nil wouldn’t have flattered us. Great to get another clean sheet as well, although we’re fortunate to have that as Caley had a clear pen on 81 mins.

Lets hope that whoever we are up against on Thursday has a torrid time today. Will watch with interest!!

ETA - Sorry about the uber long post, but there was lots to talk about from last night’s game.

Thought in the end we didnt need to get out of 2nd gear, we had a really composed game plan last night.... finally good to see a united team with a streetsmart gameplan and stick to it. Never a pen, but i personally see that justice for it going against us when Simon Murray got booked for diving v accies in the final two years ago- when things go your way, they go your way.

Fair play to ICT and their fans they gave a great account of themselves but ultimately playing the amount of games they have in april truly killed the contest- thon coll fella was breathing oot his erse! The play off structure really is terribly biased towards 2nd&11th placed teams. Catch 22 I suppose because if you change it, you could have what you get in England, where derby, who have had a significantly poorer season than leeds, end up in the final... a lottery i guess.

On to thursday now.... I hate having a good feeling about united

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I might be wrong but is Dundee’s average attendance not over 1000 better than Dundee Hibernian’s this season ?

The average attendance is, amazing what happens when you're in a league with away supports, also many UNITED fans boycotting the club. Season ticket holders though are a different story.  Even with the boycott we sold more than the Dees

6 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

The average attendance is, amazing what happens when you're in a league with away supports, also many UNITED fans boycotting the club. Season ticket holders though are a different story.  Even with the boycott we sold more than the Dees

Cheers as I never knew about season tickets.

I’ve always assumed Dundee were the better supported of the 2 clubs. I’m only basing it on average attendances mind you. Not boycotts etc.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn