18 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

A terrific first half by our boys especially considering the hard two games the week before, well done to them, DU apart from McMullan were disjointed and all over the place and I'm sure that Neilson was happy to get them in at half time at 0-0,  the second half was totally fecked for us with Liam's sending off, now  I was too far away to see the actual foul but by all accounts from various sources it was non malicious and a yellow, however Connolly's play acting with holding his face and writhing around like a schoolgirl forced a red and that turned it around for us.

However the hysterical relief from the DU players and fans when they eventually scored against ten men from a McHattie mistake was something to behold.

Absolutely no sour grapes on my part but that's football and if we maintain that type of play as we did in the first half and keep eleven men on the field then we have a good chance of progressing.

Oooft.

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

A terrific first half by our boys especially considering the hard two games the week before, well done to them, DU apart from McMullan were disjointed and all over the place and I'm sure that Neilson was happy to get them in at half time at 0-0,  the second half was totally fecked for us with Liam's sending off, now  I was too far away to see the actual foul but by all accounts from various sources it was non malicious and a yellow, however Connolly's play acting with holding his face and writhing around like a schoolgirl forced a red and that turned it around for us.

However the hysterical relief from the DU players and fans when they eventually scored against ten men from a McHattie mistake was something to behold.

Absolutely no sour grapes on my part but that's football and if we maintain that type of play as we did in the first half and keep eleven men on the field then we have a good chance of progressing.

From a neutral perspective I can understand why he sent him off, however it did seem pretty harsh and of course the screaming and rolling around by Connolly like a freshly landed Brown Trout certainly didn't help Polworth.

What I didn't like was the reaction of Polworth which seemed like a wee smirk and an attitude that he didn't really give a toss that he'd been sent off.  If this was indeed the case then perhaps he's better off at Fir Park.......

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

From the main stand at the halfway line it all happened so quickly and there was a few players blocking the incident, it did look high from Polworth, but the reaction from Connolly got him the red card IMO.

As for the game itself, we should've been ahead at the break with White missing a few great chances, particularly the header that struck the post and came out, sometimes you get lucky and they bounce the other way and over the line.

The red card completely flattened us and we were never getting the win from there, and there was an inevitability of United scoring.  Just annoyed at the time and space McMullan had to slot it in.

Player wise, I don't think anyone had a poor game,  think it was McHattie who possibly could have stopped the cross for the goal.  McCart and Donaldson were solid as usual with the former showing he is now the best defender at the club.  County are actually pursuing the lesser player of the two.

For United, Reynolds was great and mopped up everything that came his way and I thought Booth at left back had some nice touches in the second half on the main stand side.  Very tidy on the ball irl. Sow is utter shite and I have absolutely no idea why Nicky Clark doesn't start for United.  Does Neilson have beef with his father or something?  Or is it blind loyalty to Sow as he's a fellow ex-Jambo?

Ferguson was at the game in the North stand.

Totally agree on McCart.

Edited by SandyCromarty

The only thing that surprises me is Hammer Throwers FC being surprised their style of play ends up in a red card.

Don't think I have seen a dirtier team than ICT, currently in existence.  Extinct Airdrie might have been close to them in those stakes. 

The red card for Polworth was definitely the correct decision imo. Yes, there was a bit of acting involved, but kicking your opponent there is a red card, simple. I agree it wasn't malicious, instead it was probably more clumsy, but it's serious enough to warrant a red anyway.

I watched the game on TV and had the benefit of replays; I thought at the time that the red card was harsh.  Yes a high boot but also a pretty low head.

My younger son who was at the game said he thought it was harsh too.

The card definitely changed the game.

The ball looked just high enough to contest for a header. Just a stupid decision to lead in with the boot that high. Some of the Caley defensive errors in the highlights are embarrassing, makes us look semi-competent.

Raring to go for Friday...

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

20 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Don't think I have seen a dirtier team than ICT, currently in existence.  Extinct Airdrie might have been close to them in those stakes. 

You couldn't have been a Utd fan during the Jim McLean years or even recently with the likes of Ciftci. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I watched the game on TV and had the benefit of replays; I thought at the time that the red card was harsh.  Yes a high boot but also a pretty low head.

My younger son who was at the game said he thought it was harsh too.

The card definitely changed the game.

It was undoubtedly harsh, and as you say it definitely changed the game.

Polworth is not a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination. The double whammy here really bugs me as Caley, with their already depleted squad through injury, will now have to do without him on Friday.

13 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Of course it's a red card. Studs up at chest height into the player. Very odd behaviour from those even questioning it.

You’re omitting to mention the ‘not a dirty player’ caveat from the rule book that allows you to kick an opposing player in the head without sanction.

38 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Polworth is not a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination.

Remembering his attempt to get Draper booked shortly before Trafford's sending off in the last derby, it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to argue against your point.

27 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

For all those citing Connelly’s ‘play acting’.
How is someone supposed to react after getting kicked in the face by a professional athlete?
Even one who’s not a malicious player,like Polworth.

Like this?

download.jpg

27 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

For all those citing Connelly’s ‘play acting’.
How is someone supposed to react after getting kicked in the face by a professional athlete?
Even one who’s not a malicious player,like Polworth.

I expect them to react commensurate with their injury, I've had plenty of serious things happen to me in my life and thrashing around like a dafty never entered my head, they should just yellow cards to anyone that writhes about like that as they're almost certainly at it.

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I expect them to react commensurate with their injury, I've had plenty of serious things happen to me in my life and thrashing around like a dafty never entered my head, they should just yellow cards to anyone that writhes about like that as they're almost certainly at it.

I wish someone would kick you in the head.

I see Jordan White hasn't improved any, since he appeared with Falkirk. Can't for the life of me think what all these clubs he's signed for see in him.

Doran must be gutted he's playing balls in to that big cuddy.