10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The problem you find with relegated teams from the Premiership, who then don't throw ridiculous wages about in the Championship,  is they are in a losing habit and are seen as quite a target by the other sides in the league, so they often struggle.

United, St Mirren, ICT, Dunfermline all came down and struggled in the first few years.  Partick may do the same next season. Dunfermline actually got relegated again after they came down from the SPL.  If you want to bounce straight back up, you need to pay good money. 

tbf we haven’t failed to make the playoffs in 3 seasons, albeit playing some turgid football for the majority of the time.

We’ve struggled at times but not to the extent that Dunfermline and Partick have this season. 

50 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If we can all be friends for a minute, are St Mirren or Hamilton a better option for the winners of this tie?

And if it's St Mirren, is it better for them to get horsed tonight, or to have some devastating glorious failure at the weekend?

We want the Maureens to win a scrappy, ill tempered affair, where their lucky winning goal is the only bright spot in an otherwise lacklustre, unimaginative and uninspiring performance.

Take it right down to the last game so nobody has the luxury of being rested.

:)

Edited by MacArab

3 minutes ago, MacArab said:

We want the Maureens to win a scrappy, ill tempered affair, where their lucky winning goal is the only bright spot in an otherwise lacklustre, unimaginative and uninspiring performance.

Take it right down to the last game so nobody has the luxury of being rested.

:)

Yeah, this. If we beat Inverness, I am not much bothered which out of Hamilton and St Mirren we play, as long as whoever we play is fucking exhausted.

Don’t know which would be better. St Mirren conceding a last minute equaliser to utterly ruin their confidence but then get to rest players or them both having to slug it out on the last day.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

Don’t know which would be better. St Mirren conceding a last minute equaliser to utterly ruin their confidence but then get to rest players or them both having to slug it out on the last day.

The latter, obviously.

The latter, obviously.

Is it obvious? They could end up going to Dundee and pumping them 4-0 and still being in the play offs. That would have the confidence well up and the energy levels would then not be a problem.

Playing a Saturday, Thursday isn’t exactly a stress for professional footballers.

5 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Is it obvious? They could end up going to Dundee and pumping them 4-0 and still being in the play offs. That would have the confidence well up and the energy levels would then not be a problem.

Playing a Saturday, Thursday isn’t exactly a stress for professional footballers.

Yes, obviously asking both potential opponents to play a competitive game on the last day and for the actual opponent to have their hopes dashed on the day is the best scenario.

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

It's not just about these 2 games, it's the cumulative mental and physical effect of high pressure, high intensity games over the course of the last 2 or 3 weeks, where players are fighting tooth and nail to try to avoid the playoffs, flying into challenges and possibly picking up knocks and strains in the process which aren't being given the time to heal effectively. 

I'll take any small advantage I can.

Still have to beat Caley though tbf.

After that, I think it's clear that Hamilton would be preferable. Aside from the fact that St. Mirren actually looked a half-decent side, the spirit and support looked strong and I don't think missing out on the last day would knock that out of them.  

Edited by CaleyStan

It's not just about these 2 games, it's the cumulative mental and physical effect of high pressure, high intensity games over the course of the last 2 or 3 weeks, where players are fighting tooth and nail to try to avoid the playoffs, flying into challenges and possibly picking up knocks and strains in the process which aren't being given the time to heal effectively. 
I'll take any small advantage I can.
Still have to beat Caley though tbf.

Yeah can’t disagree with any of that, well apart from the last line.

This is the first time I have seen either team play and on this game alone I would much rather be playing Hamilton, even if they were down to 10 men. St Mirren look like they have better players who can make something out of nothing which may well be the difference in the final.

Also the away leg would be much easier at Hamilton with a much smaller home support and even we (ICT) could bring down a support that would make it much more even on that front.

38 minutes ago, CaleyStan said:

After that, I think it's clear that Hamilton would be preferable. Aside from the fact that St. Mirren actually looked a half-decent side, the spirit and support looked strong and I don't think missing out on the last day would knock that out of them.  

As I said earlier Brian Rice knows us well.

The St Mirren v Hamilton game tonight was a scrappy affair and I didn't rate either team, too many wayward passes and though Mirren dominated the last 30 minutes and had numerous crosses into the box it took them long enough to score against 10 men. From what I saw I'm not surprised they are bottom table.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Can't agree. A team winning 4-0 against a team already down, then finding the victory was of no practical use, would not have 'the confidence well up'. 

19 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Aye Partick said that.

Hamilton would fit right in

A large number of Thistle fans didn’t expect to bounce right back, actually. We were all pessimistic because the club had decided to stick with Archibald, when it was clear change was needed.

But yeah, it does usually seem to be a struggle for anyone to bounce straight back from this division, or even just immediately contend for promotion the first season down. Bigger clubs than Hamilton, like the ones mentioned, have failed at that, so it’s not unreasonable to suggest that they’ll struggle.

Based on tonight, I think the Championship side has a solid chance of going up. Yeah, it’s been a dreadful division this year, but the bottom three in the Prem aren’t good either, and have spent the majority of the season losing games.

Edited by Nightmare

Can't agree. A team winning 4-0 against a team already down, then finding the victory was of no practical use, would not have 'the confidence well up'. 

If that does happen it would mean st mirrens only loss in the last 8 games was against Celtic. So yes they would be very confident of getting a result against a championship team over 2 legs.

It looks like this season will be the poorest Premiership season in terms of quality. As in the 10th placed side will have the lowest number of points of any side who's finished 10th since the 12-team league started in 2000. It will also be the poorest 11th placed side in terms of points total.

Spoiler

Points Total for 10-12th:

2000-01  St Johnstone 40pts, Dundee United 35pts,  St Mirren 30 pts
2001-02  Hibernian 41pts, Motherwell 40pts, St Johnstone 21pts
2002-03  Partick Thistle 35pts, Dundee United 32pts, Motherwell 28pts - No relegation due to Brockville being a dump
2003-04  Kilmarnock 42pts, Aberdeen 34pts, Partick Thistle 26pts
2004-05  Livingston 35pts, Dunfermline Athletic 34pts, Dundee 33pts
2005-06  Falkirk 33pts, Dunfermline Athletic 33pts, Livingston 18pts
2006-07  Motherwell 38pts, St Mirren 36pts, Dunfermline Athletic 32pts
2007-08  St Mirren 41pts, Kilmarnock 40pts, Gretna 13pts (10pt deduction)
2008-09  Falkirk 38pts, St Mirren 37pts, Inverness CT 37pts
2009-10  St Mirren 34pts, Kilmarnock 33pts,  Falkirk 31pts
2010-11  Hibernian 37pts,  St Mirren 33pts, Hamilton Accies 26pts
2011-12  Inverness CT 39pts, Hibernian 33pts, Dunfermline Athletic 25pts
2012-13  Hearts 44pts, St Mirren 41pts, Dundee 30pts

2013-14 Partick Thistle 38pts, Hibs 35pts, Hearts 23pts (15pt deduction) - Hibs relegated in PO
2014-15 Kilmarnock 41pts, Motherwell 36pts, St Mirren 30pts - Motherwell skelped Rangers in PO
2015-16 Hamilton 43pts, Kilmarnock 36pts, Dundee United 28pts (3pt deduction) - Killie survived in PO
2016-17 Dundee 37pts, Hamilton 35pts, Inverness  CT 34pts - Hamilton survived
2017-18 Hamilton 33pts, Partick Thistle 33pts, Ross County 29pts - Thistle relegated in PO

2018-19 Hamilton 30pts, St Mirren 29pts, Dundee 21pts

Basically, this season should, on paper be the best chance for a Championship side to win the Play-off.

7 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

It looks like this season will be the poorest Premiership season in terms of quality. As in the 10th placed side will have the lowest number of points of any side who's finished 10th since the 12-team league started in 2000. It will also be the poorest 11th placed side in terms of points total.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Points Total for 10-12th:

2000-01  St Johnstone 40pts, Dundee United 35pts,  St Mirren 30 pts
2001-02  Hibernian 41pts, Motherwell 40pts, St Johnstone 21pts
2002-03  Partick Thistle 35pts, Dundee United 32pts, Motherwell 28pts - No relegation due to Brockville being a dump
2003-04  Kilmarnock 42pts, Aberdeen 34pts, Partick Thistle 26pts
2004-05  Livingston 35pts, Dunfermline Athletic 34pts, Dundee 33pts
2005-06  Falkirk 33pts, Dunfermline Athletic 33pts, Livingston 18pts
2006-07  Motherwell 38pts, St Mirren 36pts, Dunfermline Athletic 32pts
2007-08  St Mirren 41pts, Kilmarnock 40pts, Gretna 13pts (10pt deduction)
2008-09  Falkirk 38pts, St Mirren 37pts, Inverness CT 37pts
2009-10  St Mirren 34pts, Kilmarnock 33pts,  Falkirk 31pts
2010-11  Hibernian 37pts,  St Mirren 33pts, Hamilton Accies 26pts
2011-12  Inverness CT 39pts, Hibernian 33pts, Dunfermline Athletic 25pts
2012-13  Hearts 44pts, St Mirren 41pts, Dundee 30pts

2013-14 Partick Thistle 38pts, Hibs 35pts, Hearts 23pts (15pt deduction) - Hibs relegated in PO
2014-15 Kilmarnock 41pts, Motherwell 36pts, St Mirren 30pts - Motherwell skelped Rangers in PO
2015-16 Hamilton 43pts, Kilmarnock 36pts, Dundee United 28pts (3pt deduction) - Killie survived in PO
2016-17 Dundee 37pts, Hamilton 35pts, Inverness  CT 34pts - Hamilton survived
2017-18 Hamilton 33pts, Partick Thistle 33pts, Ross County 29pts - Thistle relegated in PO

2018-19 Hamilton 30pts, St Mirren 29pts, Dundee 21pts

Basically, this season should, on paper be the best chance for a Championship side to win the Play-off.

From watching the game last night you're probably right.