Annan v Clyde/ Clyde v Annan

Every time he got tackled rolled about as if he’d been shot by a sniper

IMG_5598.jpg

Were you watching Nade, Wallace, Smith? Fucking embarrassing from the lot of them.

I really hope we turn this around on Saturday as your utter shithouse tactics deserve f**k all. Better put about 40 boy balls in the away stand to try and minimise the time wasting.

No doubt Annan are a decent side and a hard nut to crack but surely it can’t be enjoyable watching that utter shithousery every week.

One poorly defended long throw aside there really wasn’t much in it. Neither keeper has had a save of note despite what the stats say.

It’s been said to death already but the second I saw the starting line up I thought a draw was the best we’d get.

Stick to what we’re good at and we win on Saturday. More space at Broadwood will suit our passing game.

This could very well be ET and pens on Saturday....

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

'mon Queens reserves! It'll make the blow of relegation a bit better if we get 4 games against Annan. The thought of going to Scotland's coldest stadium twice a season isn't as appealing.

Oh come on that's got to be Arbroath.

Wind does blow off the Solway mind.

Danny Lennon had an absolute nightmare tonight, I'm sure he'll realise that himself.

• Starting an out-of-date Nicoll. I assumed he was part of a plan to stop the feed into Nade, or to allow McStay to play high up the pitch similar to the Edinburgh game in November as he's proactive in terms of getting on the long balls that Annan force you to play. He did neither. What he did do is nearly cost us a couple of goals in the second half by getting caught on the ball (I'm aware others also did) and it was clear Annan were allowing him to get the ball before pressing. He looked completely off the pace throughout the game and somehow played 90 minutes! He'll not start on Saturday and he'll surely be off to the juniors in the summer.
  • We started the game with Syvertsen and Love playing inside the width of the box and linking up with Goodwillie. McStay/Grant in the half spaces either side of Nicoll were finding space. I thought it was inventive and Annan were struggling to deal with it; we had players in the all the gaps in their 442 and produced some decent link-up play. For some reason which is beyond me, Love and Syvertsen ended up playing out wide on the touchlines where Syvertsen isn't effective and Love can't beat a man either inside or outside; and that's ignoring the fact the pitch at Annan is horribly narrow.  Goodwillie was completely isolated and there was no-one to feast on the barrage of loose balls that dropped in the gap between the Annan defence and midfield. Boyle and Lamont were brought on far too late given they both have some ability to shoot from distance, which is one way of breaking down a tight backline. I'm surprised Banks wasn't given a run at a yellow-carded Bradley.
  • Overall, today stank of trying to play Annan at their own game, rather than trying to perfect ours. 

Make no mistake about it, we are in huge trouble. However, Annan, who defended and pressed superbly, were actually dreadful on the ball, or they would have been rewarded with more goals on the break so that's a positive. For all their shots on target, they had one cleared off the line and the rest were all easy saves; MItchell made two excellent stops from Goodwillie. Their play-acting and timewasting is frustrating but I didn't hear any Clyde fans moaning about Rankin picking up "injuries" after late goals against Edinburgh/Annan/Peterhead. We'll need to get the line-up spot-on on Saturday and that means binning the cloggers and playing our football. We can't read anything into an easy win over an Edinburgh side that haven't shown anything since Christmas.

Finally, a million thanks to the referee for not letting them take that final corner kick. I think we all know how that would've ended up. I thought he had a decent game tonight all in.

Goodwillie has all the flicks but apart from him Clyde have no penetration in front of goal.The Norwegian was useless  and  no. 8 blasted over when it was easier to score in the first half.

Nichol is  being slagged but to be honest  I thought he held your back line together very well although Nade must have won the majority of  high balls with some great  flick ons.The guy wi long hair  in midfield was your  most creative player.Annan's fitness  was supreme,these boys never say die .What about  Lewis Strapp throw ins- like free kicks for us.Handy wee player too Morton will be pleased to know.

Edited by the philosopher
Spell

Match, hopefully not the tie, was won and lost with the penalty miss.  Annan got a lift from this and scored pretty soon after with 1 of their very few attacks.  We huffed & puffed and really only had 1 clear chance in the 2nd half which fell to DGW who reacted as if his boots were tied together.

Annan have a formula of big guys, long throws, play acting and influencing the referee. 

Clyde's bench was strangely inert.  This to me, suggests they are either incredibly assured or conceivably, somewhat flummoxed.  

I get the criticism of Nichol who was not the best in The Clyde team, but we did need some steel in the middle of the park.  Ranks ain't available, so fair play to DL for trying to nullify Annan's "grit". Nichol didn't miss a penalty nor did he get bossed in our 6 yard box by a guy so small he could fit in one of the pies from the Annan pie stall which was adjacent to their gents'. 

Many including DL, comments on Annan's narrow pitch.  I doubt they had it taken in a few yards just for our visit,  so presumably Broadwood's nominative determinism will have Annan unable to play well due to the space on the park come Saturday.  

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Stupidity

Annan were the better side in the first half (penalty aside) and, though it could have been defended better, it was always likely one of their flick ons would lead to something.

We had more of the second half but didn't create much. Duffie wasted a load of chances & space down the right wing. We struggled to get Love into the game, who was causing them problems the few times he got it in decent positions.

Annan defended well and, particularly in the first half, dealt with Goodwillie easily. They were often happy to let him win the first ball as they read what he was doing and tackled him as soon as he controlled it.

Still, a goal down away from home is far from a disaster, but it does make it so much more important that we get the first goal on Saturday.

On Nicoll, he didn't have a bad game at all. In fact, you could argue individually he was one of our better performers. However, the issue has never been how he plays but where he plays. He splits Grant and McStay at the base of our midfield, which all our play has revolved around for months now. It's hardly surprising that Grant misplaces more passes when he plays beside Nicoll.

Missing Rankin is a huge blow as he gave us a great out ball, sometimes better than Goodwillie. So when we don't have that, separating our next best duo in midfield is idiotic. Annan were happy to let Rumsby, Lang & Duffie have loads of the ball in the second half tonight knowing they had no options in midfield and couldn't hurt them.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

On a separate note, any other Clyde fans hear Chris Johnston bear enough tell us he’s signing for Clyde ?

I heard Clyde were wanting to sign Chris Johnston but he doesn’t want to play in division 2 next season.

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

'mon Queens reserves! It'll make the blow of relegation a bit better if we get 4 games against Annan. The thought of going to Scotland's coldest stadium twice a season isn't as appealing.

Welcome to Balmoor , with a lovely Nor easterly blowing across the pitch. 6 layers on, and your balls frozen by half time.

August.

Love summer football.

Welcome( if you get unlucky)

38 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
9 hours ago, Muzza81 said:
Is there a specific measurement of tyres I’m unaware of that determines these ones are oversized? Thanks.

Don't give us that shite! The tyres are seriously oversized. Huge!

Perfect size for a big tractor imo. 

15 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Perfect size for a big tractor imo. 

We have the perfect size tyres.

Could you imagine if they were to use a car size tyre to try and stop a stock car?  Madness.

8 hours ago, Clydeontheup said:

On a separate note, any other Clyde fans hear Chris Johnston bear enough tell us he’s signing for Clyde ?

His comment certainly confirmed we are interested in signing him, who wouldn't be at this level, but there's no way he's making a decision at this stage.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Don’t think Annan were much better than us but we were well below par considering how we have been. 

Nicol is too slow now and pointless playing him Saturday. Grants passing was brutal as well. Hopefully Cuddihy is back for Saturday too. 

We HAVE to get the first goal on Saturday.