• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
die hard doonhamer

Playoff Final - Raith v Queens / Queens v Raith

56 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

You couldnt even travel the short journey to Starks last night ( birthday party,anniversary celebrations?);) so theres as much chance of you heading to dumfries as the Rovers have of winning :lol:

It might happen.  I made it to Forfar last week. In terms of percentage chance it’s definitely not high. 10% or 20% maybe.

Daughter was ill last night, and the others were out at gymnastics. Another one for the big book of excuses. Think my wife is doing a beach clean Saturday morning, that’s about it. Right now i’ve got two kids at home after spewing up this morning. 

My morning has been: 6am - woken up by eldest daughter who has spewed everywhere. Run her a bath. Strip her bed and put in washing machine. Go back up to find out she’s spewed in the bath. Empty bath and refill. 8am - wee boy spews all over the Living Room carpet and Dining Room - extensive clean up required. 11am - get mother in law round so I can attend my cardio rehab course in Glenrothes.

When that sort of stuff is going on Rovers come second.

Thinking about it, your comment is about right, 10% chance of either happening.

Edited by Scary Bear

Yeah, I wouldn’t want McGuffie again next season but he’s less of a shitebag than Flanagan and has chipped in with a few goals. Him on one wing, Crane on the other.

I reckon McGlynn will go the same formation again though, and go hell for leather late on if we’re still on it.

Aye that’s mainly why I’d have him. McGuffie isn’t feart to take a shot. Flanagan is a shitebag.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Aye that’s mainly why I’d have him. McGuffie isn’t feart to take a shot. Flanagan is a shitebag.

Was it not Flanagan’s shot that led to the keeper doing a ‘Graham Smith’ ?

Was it not Flanagan’s shot that led to the keeper doing a ‘Graham Smith’ ?

Did he score it?

I’m talking in general terms here. McGuffie generally looks to score, Flanagan tends to shite it.

Why bother following football if you're not going to make the trip to Dumfries?

You don't finish 9th in a terrible Championship, with a 40+ goal striker, because you're good at defending or able to cope with pressure.

This Rovers side is far from perfect, but neither are Queens. This tie is by no means finished.

I agree totally.

I don’t think home advantage makes much difference in play offs. You only need to look at the Leeds match (admittedly different standard of football) to realise that these games are effectively cup finals for teams. Players will give much more in these games than a normal run of mill league match.

If Raith get first goal we will be under huge pressure. A lot of football to be played. I would love it to be a stroll on Sat but when do Queens do things the easy way?

30 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It might happen.  I made it to Forfar last week. In terms of percentage chance it’s definitely not high. 10% or 20% maybe.

Daughter was ill last night, and the others were out at gymnastics. Another one for the big book of excuses. Think my wife is doing a beach clean Saturday morning, that’s about it. Right now i’ve got two kids at home after spewing up this morning. 

My morning has been: 6am - woken up by eldest daughter who has spewed everywhere. Run her a bath. Strip her bed and put in washing machine. Go back up to find out she’s spewed in the bath. Empty bath and refill. 8am - wee boy spews all over the Living Room carpet and Dining Room - extensive clean up required. 11am - get mother in law round so I can attend my cardio rehab course in Glenrothes.

:lol:

35 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I agree totally.

I don’t think home advantage makes much difference in play offs. You only need to look at the Leeds match (admittedly different standard of football) to realise that these games are effectively cup finals for teams. Players will give much more in these games than a normal run of mill league match.

If Raith get first goal we will be under huge pressure. A lot of football to be played. I would love it to be a stroll on Sat but when do Queens do things the easy way?

Don’t worry, we don’t exactly do anything the easy way either...

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

You saw our defence and ‘keeper. What did you think of them?

I didn't think your keeper was that bad but the defending was pretty poor at times. 

I was pleasantly surprised by how poor most of the Raith side were last night, Nisbet was more interested in trying to foul doyle all night rather than playing football. 

It’s hard to tell from the highlights but I was sure at the time that Lyness made a save when Dykes hit the post at 0-3. Absolutely cracking save if so. I’ve been a critic of his but he’s kept us in these play off a few times.

It’s hard to tell from the highlights but I was sure at the time that Lyness made a save when Dykes hit the post at 0-3. Absolutely cracking save if so. I’ve been a critic of his but he’s kept us in these play off a few times.
Yeah he definitely got a touch. It always goes down as a "bad miss" in those situations but take nothing away from the 'keeper, it was a great save.

You saw our defence and ‘keeper. What did you think of them?

Probably poorer than ours last night but any confidence we take forward is fragile to say the least. We should probably have scored 4 or 5 Rovers could easily have had 3 or 4. Both keepers made good saves. Rovers keeper to stop it going 4-0 and Martin to keep it at 3-1. We are obvious favourites to progress but it’s not a done deal IMHO.

I left at 3-0 so I missed our late rally, but I don’t feel at all confident of any kind of shock happening – of course would be delighted to see it happen.

I do think we will score, and certainly think we can score more than once – but we have set up with 5 defenders on the pitch with the express intention of keeping things tight over the past 3 games, and we have conceded 5 goals. There isn’t a chance in hell we will keep it tight enough to get any kind of result when we actually have to come out and attack. If Queens score 1 we need 3 just to take the tie into extra time.

It was sobering to see that there was a sizeable enough gulf between 9th in Championship and 3rd in League One. Not unexpected as such, but not nice. Wouldn’t go as far as to say Queens impressed me, but you got the impression that they were playing within themselves and had managed to amass their lead without too much effort. I was particularly frustrated with the 2nd half, with no real positive change until the tie was dead. Certainly gave the impression that Mcglynn was happy to take 2-0 defeat down to Dumfries and see what happens, which very almost backfired. 

Of course an early goal may unsettle things, but its really hard to be overly positive.

I actually don’t think its been a question of bottle this time, the players seemed well up for it, I just don’t think they are good enough to win promotion. 

FWIW I thought a draw at half time would have been an accurate reflection on the game, but these games aren’t about how you play – its about taking chances when they come and being resolute at the back – we did neither and got what we deserved. 

I don’t think Queens looked at all great, but they saw the 2nd half out very comfortably with the exception of the last 10 minutes, and were certainly a cut above the likes of Forfar and ourselves et al. Nisbet was getting no joy at all and I think that’s down to being up against a superior defence than most in this league (which isn’t very favourable to League 1 defences!). The obvious weakness was cross balls but Flanagan was absolutely and utterly keech in that regard for much of the match.

Probably poorer than ours last night but any confidence we take forward is fragile to say the least. We should probably have scored 4 or 5 Rovers could easily have had 3 or 4. Both keepers made good saves. Rovers keeper to stop it going 4-0 and Martin to keep it at 3-1. We are obvious favourites to progress but it’s not a done deal IMHO.

agreed

Clearly it is much better to be 3-1 up and there is a cushion.

The problem sometimes when you win the away leg is that subconsciously you sit back and pass the initiative to the opposition.Raith are firmly in the “nothing to lose camp” as are Inverness.

Hopefully we ignore the 3-1 advantage and put everything into winning the home leg as a one off. If we do that I would expect it to be tough for Raith but we need to come out positively as we did against Montrose.

I know it’s old hat and I am firmly against artificial pitches anyway but the Starks Park surface was like a Grade A carpet compared to the horrible surface that we play on.

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
16 hours ago, Frankie S said:
We didn’t play very well, and looked particularly looked poor after we took Dobbie, Dykes and Todd off, but there is clearly a sizeable gulf between the Championship and the First Division.
Rovers will have to go for it at Palmerston, which should play into our hands. As the aforementioned trio will all be fit to start, I just can’t see us not scoring. Given it’s Queens, I’m reluctant to say its game over, but we’re in a great position to stay up now.
Major surgery required on the squad over the summer if we hope to be competitive in the Championship next season though.

In what fucking previous incarnation has the 3rd tier been called the first division?

Had much better things to do today than reply to this pish, but now I’ve got a spare 5 mins:

Yeah, I admit I’ve used the terms League 1 and Division 1 interchangeably.

Tbh, I couldn’t really give a flying f**k if the league is called the Brigadoon Allan Jay Lerner and Frederick Fucking Loewe Dunfermline-supporting Arseholes f**k-trumpet Federation.

Whatever it’s called, you’re still a fucking twat :lol:

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

agreed

Clearly it is much better to be 3-1 up and there is a cushion.

The problem sometimes when you win the away leg is that subconsciously you sit back and pass the initiative to the opposition.Raith are firmly in the “nothing to lose camp” as are Inverness.

Hopefully we ignore the 3-1 advantage and put everything into winning the home leg as a one off. If we do that I would expect it to be tough for Raith but we need to come out positively as we did against Montrose.

I know it’s old hat and I am firmly against artificial pitches anyway but the Starks Park surface was like a Grade A carpet compared to the horrible surface that we play on.

Our artificial pitch is a far better surface than our grass one tbh. 

Yeah he definitely got a touch. It always goes down as a "bad miss" in those situations but take nothing away from the 'keeper, it was a great save.
It was a great save from Lyness but his original mistake is what cost us last night. How a 'keeper can shell the ball out like that is beyond me. He's made a couple of decent saves in the playoffs but has been pretty poor for the most Imo.

Continuing my negativity, I can see why Queens fans were so negative before the game. There isn't alot of quality in the team. What you do seem to have is a good 3/4 players with dobbie being a cut above. The rest seem like filler.

In saying that we have 2/3 players who are better than the the rest of the pish we have. Nisbet being the only player I would say could easily play at a higher level. He was starved of service last night unfortunately. He should have taken his early chance though and if he had, it could have been a different game.

Our defence and 'keeper showed why we have been defeatist before the game last night and considering our away form for the past 3 seasons it very much is game over. The tiny bit hope we do have is that we did get a late goal but realistically we will concede on Saturday so it is all about striking the right balance between defending and going all out. I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory in a 6-7 thriller than not have a go though.

Going on Saturday with my son , never been to Palmerston before so I am a bit of an anorak for visiting grounds wherever I am. Going in hope as we need a miracle but guess what I just found god !!! ;-)

Had much better things to do today than reply to this pish, but now I’ve got a spare 5 mins:

Yeah, I admit I’ve used the terms League 1 and Division 1 interchangeably.

Tbh, I couldn’t really give a flying f**k if the league is called the Brigadoon Allan Jay Lerner and Frederick Fucking Loewe Dunfermline-supporting Arseholes f**k-trumpet Federation.

Whatever it’s called, you’re still a fucking twat 

You're the out of date chimp for brains.
Idiot.

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

^^^^^part time supporter