Playoff Final - Raith v Queens / Queens v Raith

As do I  I didn't set out to fall out with other fans (opposition fans don't really count) but as I said I have my own opinion as do you but if other folk chose to give me abuse I'll retaliate unfortunately I know all to well how things are done at Starks park and after the last 3 seasons it's really come to a head.

I have to be honest I don't remember having fired the first shot with you so other than some petty squabbling I have no idea why you've taken such offense to me in the first instance. Regardless of this pish.

We are pish and a long summer of rebuilding is required with a high turnover of players. Not ideal, but better than seing the pish we have seen masquerading as footballers all season.

Now that the final whistle has gone I can comfortably post that we cruised through that in second gear. However during the game it felt like we were one defensive mistake away from rolling down a hill and off a cliff and I don’t have faith in this group of players having the mettle to move up the gears if required (I’ll stop the analogy now).

The penalty decision could have been huge. My friend brought up the Alba coverage on his phone after the incident and it looked a stonewaller.

That being said Raith only really offered high punts forward which Darren Brownlie heads clear all day long, or wild attempts from 25 yards that troubled the seagulls more than Alan Martin. If they had tried to play through us, or get crosses in from out wide we might have been in trouble.

From our point of view, only a few great saves from the Rovers keeper kept the tie alive and over the two legs I think we deserved the victory.

All the best to Raith for next season.

As stated before the game, I’m just delighted this shitshow is over for another season and I’m looking forward to never seeing some of these jokers in a Queens shirt ever again.

But Martin gave me the shakes every time the ball came near to him. From being a good goalkeeper with Dumbarton he's ended up being a liability. One of AJ's priorities is to get a reasonable keeper. He also needs to act quick to sign up Connor Murray and Mickey Doyle who worked their socks off today. 

Headed down not expecting much, but thought we’d at least have got a goal to make things interesting. The tactic of hoofing the ball up the pitch every time we got was never going to get the job done. But I guess it doesn’t help when your two wingers couldn’t seem to give a shit.

Not sure how we kept the clean sheet given the amount of great chances they had. Lyness, Davo and Bene all impressed. If it wasn’t for his kicking I’d have never guessed that was the same Lyness that we’ve watched in the rest of his time here.

Just a pity that some other players proved themselves to be complete and utter shitebags who should get punted...Flanagan.

I thought we thoroughly deserved to win over the two legs. Two players who have received a fair bit of stick - goalie and Davidson were both outstanding today as was Benedictus. How we failed to score was an unsolved mystery. Completely dominated the match from about 25 mins onwards.

Murray, Wilson and Doyle did well today. Brownlie’s last few games will probably earn him a place on the retained list as he was rock solid again today. Dobbie had some
terrific passages of play but for once he couldn’t find the ideal angles for most of his big chances.

Credit to AJ and SC - at no time did we stop pushing forward trying to win the game. By not sitting deep and inviting trouble we were seldom under any real pressure. They have done well in difficult circumstances and the positivity is encouraging.

There is no doubt Queens deserved it over the 2 legs. However if Nisbet has equalised in Kirkcaldy then it could have been oh so different. Same when Gullan’s shot was saved on the line, and then when Crane had a shot saved by Martin. All those moments crucial. 

Then even today, that was a penalty on Duggan. Scored that and again we could have had a different game. All ifs and buts mind you. Queens really should have made it 4-0 in Kirkcaldy though and that would have been that. The same today with Queens having enough chances to win about 3 matches. 

But ah well. League one again eh? Magic. 

Over the two legs that was far easier than I expected. I thought today we were happy to play for the 0-0 but the difference between AJ's approach to GN is that AJ still wants us to take the game to the opposition whereas playing for a 0-0 under GN would have seen us camped in our own half all game. I actually liked Nisbet at Ayr when he was taking pelters from their support as I recall but other than his sitter in the first leg he was completely anonymous. I have to say, had I been a Raith fan I'd have been absolutely fizzing with their performance today. At no stage did they seriously threaten to turn that around. You're 2 down. If it ends up being 4 down so what, at least have a go ffs. McGlynn got that all wrong and I've no idea how he can be so positive after it. For a 30 goal striker not to get a sniff against our shakey defence says more about Raith than us IMO and lets face it, we are hardly head and shoulders above Raith so it wasn't exactly a David and Goliath task.

Anyway, we avoid the trapdoor this season but AJ has a helluva summer on his hands. All the best to Raith next season and hopefully you can pip Falkirk to the title.

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:
2 hours ago, Frank conner said:
Tried that but any dissent will not be tolerated it was purely a case of back Mcglynn or be quiet. 

At this point I'd honestly rather you chose the latter.

Frank should really get a good hiding for his nonsense on here. f**k you Frank. 

Well glad that season is over let's get Murray and doyle signed up rest I'm not cared about.
I take it by the fact no subs used none are in aj plans for next season?
Funny game I thought we played in 2nd gear doing what we had to how we don't score 2nd half I will never know looked a pen and thought ref had given it.
Now a serious question for raith fans 2 nd half 3 1 down in a final I kept expecting every one getting thrown forward
Everything except the kitchen sink but no nothing very surprised why.

Queens were worthy winners over the two legs. 

The fact we were so behind the 9th placed side is quite concerning, but not surprising. We are an average League 1 side and it showed. Queens didn't look that bad in all honesty, probably a combination of new manager effect and the fact we were miles worse than most sides they've faced this season, i presume. They are better than anyone we faced in our league that's for sure. 

That said, we've went out with a whimper. Defended really well but frankly we haven't seen that when it really mattered.  The tie was pretty much gone after 20 mins on Wed, and we took far too long to make any kind of positive change in both games. Mcglynn isnt known for going particularly gung ho, but that was a fairly startling lack of urgency. 

Plenty of effort, just very little quality. There's a notable gap between the leagues, which was particularly noticeable with Nisbet. He's gone past defenders for fun this season but Queens had him easily handled. 

Didn't expect much against Queens, but its been a disappointing week. I had hoped that handling Dobbie would give us a chance, but even the supporting cast had more than enough to deal with us. 

All the best next season to Queens, seem like a decent enough bunch on here. 

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Over the two legs that was far easier than I expected. I thought today we were happy to play for the 0-0 but the difference between AJ's approach to GN is that AJ still wants us to take the game to the opposition whereas playing for a 0-0 under GN would have seen us camped in our own half all game. I actually liked Nisbet at Ayr when he was taking pelters from their support as I recall but other than his sitter in the first leg he was completely anonymous. I have to say, had I been a Raith fan I'd have been absolutely fizzing with their performance today. At no stage did they seriously threaten to turn that around. You're 2 down. If it ends up being 4 down so what, at least have a go ffs. McGlynn got that all wrong and I've no idea how he can be so positive after it. For a 30 goal striker not to get a sniff against our shakey defence says more about Raith than us IMO and lets face it, we are hardly head and shoulders above Raith so it wasn't exactly a David and Goliath task.

Anyway, we avoid the trapdoor this season but AJ has a helluva summer on his hands. All the best to Raith next season and hopefully you can pip Falkirk to the title.

I think McGlynn had memories of our playoff game against Airdrie back from his last spell where we went there 2-0 down, and then lost an early goal to effectively end the tie. He really seemed to fear losing another goal to Queens and didn't really get us going for the jugular. We started the game okay but created nowhere near the same amount of pressure as at Stark's. Nisbet has been incredible this season, but really didn't get the service he needed. He's the type of player who'll try anything ahead of passing as his shanked shot in the first half showed. 

I didn't post after the first leg, but there's no conceding that over the two legs Queens deserve to be above us. There was a stat being banded about twitter among Rovers fans that we've scored the second highest goals in the country this season, but we've only Dundee and Berwick have had less clean sheets than us during the league campaign itself (we've had 5 - the same as Albion Rovers). We're behind every team in our league in that respect. The flaws in this team were pinpointed from back in October when we started leaking goals for fun. So it was unsurprising to see statuesque defending cost us over the piece. Even today it was only excellent saves from Lyness and some brilliant clearances from Davidson (who must surely be retiring now) and Benedictus stopping us from going further behind. 

Going forward, our team really lacked any outlet other than a half fit Chris Duggan, who got a start based off bamming up the Queens defence superbly in the first game. Even then Duggan looked far more lively than Nisbet as you say. McGuffie and Flanagan are both far too powderpuff. There were numerous points in the second half where you could see Flanagan's team mates ask where he's at. Aside from that, Matthews put in some of his best shifts in, but he's not going to be a creative midfielder. Barjonas is another one from Murray Park who simply doesn't give a f**k. He's the polar opposite of Regan Hendry who was classy on the ball, creative and would put in a huge effort. I was really disappointed we didn't exploit the left wing more, as Marshall looked an utter bombscare on the ball. 

It's a big summer for us. We'll need a lot of surgery for our squad and a move to either part time or a hybrid system. Over the last few years, we've been left with the dregs of full time football, so hopefully we'll be able to scoop up some of the more talented attacking players. The worry is that it leads to a transition period which could take a few seasons to move forward. We'd undoubtedly be an attractive proposition for part time players.  But aside from the result today, there's still a lot to be positive about despite our onfield troubles. Off the field, we've got a lot of initiatives about the club which could potentially be fruitful. But most of all I'm hoping the lads who've been at the back of the South Stand keep showing up to games and making a racket. Despite some really poor results and performances, we've had a bit more of an atmosphere about our home games for the first time in about 5 or 6 years. It's been a bit flat, but days like today had a good atmosphere among the fans. 

3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

All I can say is I’m proud of the team. If truth be told we were the better team

:lol:

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have you ever seen a more embarrassed looking bunch of players? emoji38.pngIMG-20190518-WA0006.jpg

Imagine bringing your kids on to celebrate winning the relegation playoffs.