Playoff Final - Raith v Queens / Queens v Raith

It’s hard to tell from the highlights but I was sure at the time that Lyness made a save when Dykes hit the post at 0-3. Absolutely cracking save if so. I’ve been a critic of his but he’s kept us in these play off a few times.

It’s hard to tell from the highlights but I was sure at the time that Lyness made a save when Dykes hit the post at 0-3. Absolutely cracking save if so. I’ve been a critic of his but he’s kept us in these play off a few times.
Yeah he definitely got a touch. It always goes down as a "bad miss" in those situations but take nothing away from the 'keeper, it was a great save.

You saw our defence and ‘keeper. What did you think of them?

Probably poorer than ours last night but any confidence we take forward is fragile to say the least. We should probably have scored 4 or 5 Rovers could easily have had 3 or 4. Both keepers made good saves. Rovers keeper to stop it going 4-0 and Martin to keep it at 3-1. We are obvious favourites to progress but it’s not a done deal IMHO.

I left at 3-0 so I missed our late rally, but I don’t feel at all confident of any kind of shock happening – of course would be delighted to see it happen.

I do think we will score, and certainly think we can score more than once – but we have set up with 5 defenders on the pitch with the express intention of keeping things tight over the past 3 games, and we have conceded 5 goals. There isn’t a chance in hell we will keep it tight enough to get any kind of result when we actually have to come out and attack. If Queens score 1 we need 3 just to take the tie into extra time.

It was sobering to see that there was a sizeable enough gulf between 9th in Championship and 3rd in League One. Not unexpected as such, but not nice. Wouldn’t go as far as to say Queens impressed me, but you got the impression that they were playing within themselves and had managed to amass their lead without too much effort. I was particularly frustrated with the 2nd half, with no real positive change until the tie was dead. Certainly gave the impression that Mcglynn was happy to take 2-0 defeat down to Dumfries and see what happens, which very almost backfired. 

Of course an early goal may unsettle things, but its really hard to be overly positive.

I actually don’t think its been a question of bottle this time, the players seemed well up for it, I just don’t think they are good enough to win promotion. 

FWIW I thought a draw at half time would have been an accurate reflection on the game, but these games aren’t about how you play – its about taking chances when they come and being resolute at the back – we did neither and got what we deserved. 

I don’t think Queens looked at all great, but they saw the 2nd half out very comfortably with the exception of the last 10 minutes, and were certainly a cut above the likes of Forfar and ourselves et al. Nisbet was getting no joy at all and I think that’s down to being up against a superior defence than most in this league (which isn’t very favourable to League 1 defences!). The obvious weakness was cross balls but Flanagan was absolutely and utterly keech in that regard for much of the match.

Probably poorer than ours last night but any confidence we take forward is fragile to say the least. We should probably have scored 4 or 5 Rovers could easily have had 3 or 4. Both keepers made good saves. Rovers keeper to stop it going 4-0 and Martin to keep it at 3-1. We are obvious favourites to progress but it’s not a done deal IMHO.

agreed

Clearly it is much better to be 3-1 up and there is a cushion.

The problem sometimes when you win the away leg is that subconsciously you sit back and pass the initiative to the opposition.Raith are firmly in the “nothing to lose camp” as are Inverness.

Hopefully we ignore the 3-1 advantage and put everything into winning the home leg as a one off. If we do that I would expect it to be tough for Raith but we need to come out positively as we did against Montrose.

I know it’s old hat and I am firmly against artificial pitches anyway but the Starks Park surface was like a Grade A carpet compared to the horrible surface that we play on.

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
16 hours ago, Frankie S said:
We didn’t play very well, and looked particularly looked poor after we took Dobbie, Dykes and Todd off, but there is clearly a sizeable gulf between the Championship and the First Division.
Rovers will have to go for it at Palmerston, which should play into our hands. As the aforementioned trio will all be fit to start, I just can’t see us not scoring. Given it’s Queens, I’m reluctant to say its game over, but we’re in a great position to stay up now.
Major surgery required on the squad over the summer if we hope to be competitive in the Championship next season though.

In what fucking previous incarnation has the 3rd tier been called the first division?

Had much better things to do today than reply to this pish, but now I’ve got a spare 5 mins:

Yeah, I admit I’ve used the terms League 1 and Division 1 interchangeably.

Tbh, I couldn’t really give a flying f**k if the league is called the Brigadoon Allan Jay Lerner and Frederick Fucking Loewe Dunfermline-supporting Arseholes f**k-trumpet Federation.

Whatever it’s called, you’re still a fucking twat :lol:

Edited by Frankie S

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

agreed

Clearly it is much better to be 3-1 up and there is a cushion.

The problem sometimes when you win the away leg is that subconsciously you sit back and pass the initiative to the opposition.Raith are firmly in the “nothing to lose camp” as are Inverness.

Hopefully we ignore the 3-1 advantage and put everything into winning the home leg as a one off. If we do that I would expect it to be tough for Raith but we need to come out positively as we did against Montrose.

I know it’s old hat and I am firmly against artificial pitches anyway but the Starks Park surface was like a Grade A carpet compared to the horrible surface that we play on.

Our artificial pitch is a far better surface than our grass one tbh. 

Yeah he definitely got a touch. It always goes down as a "bad miss" in those situations but take nothing away from the 'keeper, it was a great save.
It was a great save from Lyness but his original mistake is what cost us last night. How a 'keeper can shell the ball out like that is beyond me. He's made a couple of decent saves in the playoffs but has been pretty poor for the most Imo.

Continuing my negativity, I can see why Queens fans were so negative before the game. There isn't alot of quality in the team. What you do seem to have is a good 3/4 players with dobbie being a cut above. The rest seem like filler.

In saying that we have 2/3 players who are better than the the rest of the pish we have. Nisbet being the only player I would say could easily play at a higher level. He was starved of service last night unfortunately. He should have taken his early chance though and if he had, it could have been a different game.

Our defence and 'keeper showed why we have been defeatist before the game last night and considering our away form for the past 3 seasons it very much is game over. The tiny bit hope we do have is that we did get a late goal but realistically we will concede on Saturday so it is all about striking the right balance between defending and going all out. I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory in a 6-7 thriller than not have a go though.

Had much better things to do today than reply to this pish, but now I’ve got a spare 5 mins:

Yeah, I admit I’ve used the terms League 1 and Division 1 interchangeably.

Tbh, I couldn’t really give a flying f**k if the league is called the Brigadoon Allan Jay Lerner and Frederick Fucking Loewe Dunfermline-supporting Arseholes f**k-trumpet Federation.

Whatever it’s called, you’re still a fucking twat [emoji38]

You're the out of date chimp for brains.
Idiot.

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It might happen.  I made it to Forfar last week. In terms of percentage chance it’s definitely not high. 10% or 20% maybe.

Daughter was ill last night, and the others were out at gymnastics. Another one for the big book of excuses. Think my wife is doing a beach clean Saturday morning, that’s about it. Right now i’ve got two kids at home after spewing up this morning. 

My morning has been: 6am - woken up by eldest daughter who has spewed everywhere. Run her a bath. Strip her bed and put in washing machine. Go back up to find out she’s spewed in the bath. Empty bath and refill. 8am - wee boy spews all over the Living Room carpet and Dining Room - extensive clean up required. 11am - get mother in law round so I can attend my cardio rehab course in Glenrothes.

When that sort of stuff is going on Rovers come second.

Thinking about it, your comment is about right, 10% chance of either happening.

^^^^^part time supporter

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

You don't exactly do anything at all tbh. 

Since I’ve been alive I’ve seen Rovers win 2 domestic trophies outwith league championships. 

Morton? Zero. 

Your club is the very definition of a nothing club, regardless of current league standing. 

15 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Since I’ve been alive I’ve seen Rovers win 2 domestic trophies outwith league championships. 

Morton? Zero. 

Your club is the very definition of a nothing club, regardless of current league standing. 

The Challenge and Coca Cola Cups. :lol: Next you'll be rolling out Fife Cups and your cycling proficiency certificate as well to completethat list of utterly tinpot 'honours'. 

Come back when you've won the only significant cup competition in Scottish football or when you've stopped getting bodied every week by brickies and fishermen - whichever unlikely event happens sooner. Thanks for playing anyway.

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.193ffcb88922d447c70aabe54f40c685.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

Going on Saturday with my son , never been to Palmerston before so I am a bit of an anorak for visiting grounds wherever I am. Going in hope as we need a miracle but guess what I just found god !!! ;-)

Your in for a treat. The seagulls are so big they carry children away.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

The Challenge and Coca Cola Cups. :lol: Next you'll be rolling out Fife Cups and your cycling proficiency certificate as well to completethat list of utterly tinpot 'honours'. 

Come back when you've won the only significant cup competition in Scottish football or when you've stopped getting bodied every week by brickies and fishermen - whichever unlikely event happens sooner. Thanks for playing anyway.

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.193ffcb88922d447c70aabe54f40c685.jpg

Was expecting this response to be honest.

I don’t think you really read my post correctly. Or maybe you never understood it? I think the main word that is significant is “alive”. What’s your memories of Morton’s Scottish cup win? 

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Was expecting this response to be honest.

I don’t think you really read my post correctly. Or maybe you never understood it? I think the main word that is significant is “alive”. What’s your memories of Morton’s Scottish cup win? 

Probably chugging off over black n white photos of it