Freddie Starr

Feel incredibly sorry for someone who was a fantastic comedian back in the day.

Not because he died, but the end of his life. He never ever recovered from those Yewtree allegations which were never proven, retired to Spain and was broke, housebound and a shell of the man he was for the last years of his life. 

He made me laugh from throwing 'maggots' at celebrities and being the best eater at a I'm a Celeb challenge I've ever seen (Until he had an allergic reaction because he ate much more than the recommendation). :lol:

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Feel incredibly sorry for someone who was a fantastic comedian back in the day.

Not because he died, but the end of his life. He never ever recovered from those Yewtree allegations which were never proven, retired to Spain and was broke, housebound and a shell of the man he was for the last years of his life. 

He made me laugh from throwing 'maggots' at celebrities and being the best eater at a I'm a Celeb challenge I've ever seen (Until he had an allergic reaction because he ate much more than the recommendation). :lol:

Ate a hamster to so wrong yin Glasweigan hamsters are still in mourning he was related to special patrol group not Freddy the hamster

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297
Clarity

When I was at university I did a summer placement at a theatre.

Freddy Starr was his own agent as he was too difficult to work with.  In the world of comedy, that takes some doing.

He took to phoning venues who didn't book him for his tour - he generally aimed for the Roy Chubby Brown/Jim Davidson/chinky-chonky chinaman jokes audience and that wasn't our audience at all.

Not unreasonably, we told him this.  He didn't react well.  He spend ten minutes swearing at me, saying "who the f**k would want to play in Aberdeen?" and basically running his mouth off about Aberdeen being on the arse end of nowhere.  Which was fine, as far as it goes, but the theatre was in Inverness.  He was an incredibly bitter, nasty old man.  This was long before the Yewtree thing.

Just a personal anecdote - YMMV on Freddie.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Good one Philpy. 

Seriously though, was certain he was long dead. I remembered a news headline about it as well.

I didn't know Dec O'Connor was still alive until he made a quote about Starr yesterday, was also 100% sure he's died years ago.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

he generally aimed for the Roy Chubby Brown/Jim Davidson/chinky-chonky chinaman jokes audience and that wasn't our audience at all.

Not unreasonably, we told him this.  

The Live and Devilish VHS show from the mid 1990's is on YouTube. I had a look out of curiosity yesterday. Opening gambit is a homophobic joke about a gardener, and his 'finale' is blacking-up like Al Jolson - it feels like it's from the stone age, relatively speaking.  I always felt Starr was like the annoying kid at school playing sub-par practical jokes (though the fast forward singing gimmick is very good TBF).  As you say, YMMV.

I didn't know Dec O'Connor was still alive until he made a quote about Starr yesterday, was also 100% sure he's died years ago.

Dec O’Connor is dead as dead can be. Des O’Connor, however...

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Dec O’Connor is dead as dead can be. Des O’Connor, however...

Aye still touring, apparently, that's Des not Dec

Had a quick look at his Wiki, some boy.
Married four times, five kids, brief spell as pro footballer at Northampton, a number one single 
Good effort.

In fairness, Leigh Griffiths only needs a number one chart topping single to match that.