Freddie Starr

4 hours ago, Romeo said:

I didn't know Dec O'Connor was still alive until he made a quote about Starr yesterday, was also 100% sure he's died years ago.

Is that Des's twin brother?

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

When I was at university I did a summer placement at a theatre.

Freddy Starr was his own agent as he was too difficult to work with.  In the world of comedy, that takes some doing.

He took to phoning venues who didn't book him for his tour - he generally aimed for the Roy Chubby Brown/Jim Davidson/chinky-chonky chinaman jokes audience and that wasn't our audience at all.

Not unreasonably, we told him this.  He didn't react well.  He spend ten minutes swearing at me, saying "who the f**k would want to play in Aberdeen?" and basically running his mouth off about Aberdeen being on the arse end of nowhere.  Which was fine, as far as it goes, but the theatre was in Inverness.  He was an incredibly bitter, nasty old man.  This was long before the Yewtree thing.

Just a personal anecdote - YMMV on Freddie.

Eden Court had a student intern negotiating with the talent? Doesn't surprise me tbh. 

Nah it was definitely him, the newspaper article I remember was a piss take about the hamster he ate as well, was certain he was in the 2016 club. I would have bet my life on him being deid years ago!

That Sun front page is flawed surely as the original headline was "ate MY hamster" and not "HIS hamster" then he's not following his hamster anywhere, in fact is anyone sure he had a hamster? The Sun just press print before considering the reputation of small pets. Shame.

11 hours ago, throbber said:

Nah it was definitely him, the newspaper article I remember was a piss take about the hamster he ate as well, was certain he was in the 2016 club. I would have bet my life on him being deid years ago!

You have the gift of foresight