Whitehill welfare 2019/20

11 minutes ago, RobM said:

As simple as that though mate or is there something underlying causing it all?

There may have been. There's a new Chairman, Vice Chairman and Management team in place and the more obvious squad changes taking place. So it should hopefully change things from last year. Whether that's for better or worse only time will tell.

Just want to pass on my best wishes to Whitehill, I’ve openly stated Bonnyrigg should have gone up but the SFA made an absolute cluster of everything and Whitehill have been the victims here. From what I’ve seen the club and its supporters have operated with class and dignity throughout the entire period. So I like many want to praise your team and wish well for the upcoming season hopefully there’s lights at your ground soon to enable a return to the Lowland League. Good luck.

Where do I start, the issue for the last few seasons has been poor squad accusations, owing to finance we went down the route of getting young players but unfortunately collectively they were nowhere near ll standard, yes one or two might make decent careers but as a squad no where near, it's been said a few times by Whitehill people that people really don't understand how much Whitehill punched above there weight in the eos times, I would struggle to think of a smaller place than Rosewell for a football team,and believe it or not apart from big Scottish games never really supported the club, the two periods of sucsess were the 70s/80s which was built on a very strong football minded commitee who worked like f**k to create a strong football club then probably the golden period was the 90s which happened to be a perfect storm in regards to the playing side where the squad stuck together for a good decade because they all liked each other and the social side if things from players,commitee, and fans was unbelievable, u could write a book about away days, players like Davie Millar,Stuart purves, Lawrie tulloch, etc etc were beasts at that level of football and for years had no intrest in going anywhere else and every season they would add say 2 quality players to keep things fresh, to put things in.prospective ormiston is a bigger place than Rosewell and unfortunately now the clubs budget is at the lower end of things pure and simple....

16 minutes ago, magoo said:

I would struggle to think of a smaller place than Rosewell for a football team,and believe it or not apart from big Scottish games never really supported the club

to put things in.prospective ormiston is a bigger place than Rosewell and unfortunately now the clubs budget is at the lower end of things pure and simple....

Fair point this...

Rosewell is the smallest settlement in the Lowland and EOS parts of the pyramid - Oakley, Ormiston and Coldstream being larger than it - and the 7th smallest in the whole pyramid after Pitmedden (Formartine), Brora, Rothes, Wigtown, Creetown and New Abbey (Abbey Vale).

33 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Err...Threave Rovers, Hawick...

Tbf presumably he means of those he listed. Preston also went down before now.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Fair point this...

Rosewell is the smallest settlement in the Lowland and EOS parts of the pyramid - Oakley, Ormiston and Coldstream being larger than it - and the 7th smallest in the whole pyramid after Pitmedden (Formartine), Brora, Rothes, Wigtown, Creetown and New Abbey (Abbey Vale).

Tbf presumably he means of those he listed. Preston also went down before now.

I'm aware that size is not fundemental to sucsess, but when u see how Kelty get behind there club as a community, Whitehill never had anything like that, over the years about 25 die hard commitee and the same fans, still on banter level I'd put us top of the tree.....

Edited by magoo

16 minutes ago, magoo said:

I'm aware that size is not fundemental to sucsess, but when u see how Kelty get behind there club as a community, Whitehill never had anything like that, over the years about 25 die hard commitee and the same fans, still on banter level I'd put us top of the tree.....

Couldn’t agree more. Even the few games I found myself at, we were treated like royalty which was what made us try and go back until I moved away, BUT even when (iirc) we/they beat Burntisland 8-0 in the old quali cup in 2002ish, there was more folk came off the Burntisland bus to watch than there was Welfare fans there... made for a decent afternoon of banter though

Edited by Spyro

20 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Couldn’t agree more. Even the few games I found myself at, we were treated like royalty which was what made us try and go back until I moved away, BUT even when (iirc) we/they beat Burntisland 8-0 in the old quali cup in 2002ish, there was more folk came off the Burntisland bus to watch than there was Welfare fans there... made for a decent afternoon of banter though

People think the few Whitehill fans on here get our knickers in a twist, they couldn't be further from the truth (although newky likes a meltdown) Whitehill for decades has always been a tightnit club based on social enjoyment, I'm more than aware that things move in and there's more professionalism coming into the game at this level, which I accept but Whitehill could go on a run of 10 years without winning another game and id say we still would have seen more sucesss and great times than say 90% of teams in Scotland, for what it's worth I think the changes this summer are very positive so here's hoping

Edited by magoo

4 minutes ago, magoo said:

People think the few Whitehill fans on here get our knickers in a twist, they couldn't be further from the truth (although newky likes a meltdown) Whitehill for decades has always been a tightnit club based on social enjoyment, I'm more than aware that things move in and there's more professionalism coming into the game at this level, which I accept but Whitehill could go on a run of 10 years without winning another game and id say we still would have seen more sucesss and great times than say 90% of teams in Scotland, for what it's worth I think the changes this summer are very positive so here's hoping

I think the “exuberance” ;) comes from the fact that the boys (like Newky and yourself) are on the front line and genuinely keep the club going, rather than being mere “fans”. So of course you are going to be more emotional when it comes to the crunch...

12 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I think the “exuberance” ;) comes from the fact that the boys (like Newky and yourself) are on the front line and genuinely keep the club going, rather than being mere “fans”. So of course you are going to be more emotional when it comes to the crunch...

True in the glory years, me moreso than newky (who puts some shift in to get to games) Have moved  on from the village so unfortunately I look on from afar now....

2 minutes ago, magoo said:

True in the glory years, me moreso than newky (who puts some shift in to get to games) Have moved  on from the village so unfortunately I look on from afar now....

Probably about the time I moved away too, or I’d still be going when I could... and I’ve never seen myself as a true “fan”, just seemed more accessible and welcoming than Rose to us for some reason. It was our wee hideout place as kids, and I’d probably have matched Newky in the tantrum-count by now :whistle

8 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Probably about the time I moved away too, or I’d still be going when I could... and I’ve never seen myself as a true “fan”, just seemed more accessible and welcoming than Rose to us for some reason. It was our wee hideout place as kids, and I’d probably have matched Newky in the tantrum-count by now :whistle

Ach, nobody is a better fan than anyone else, you get out of it all different things, one things for sure there was some unbelievable day and nights back then.....

Is the WW ground easy to get to by public transport? I'm thinking of going to the tournament with WW, Bonnyrigg & Leith. Also, is there a bar at the ground and/or any decent pubs nearby?

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

Is the WW ground easy to get to by public transport? I'm thinking of going to the tournament with WW, Bonnyrigg & Leith. Also, is there a bar at the ground and/or any decent pubs nearby?

Disappointed that a Dutchman is not going by bike, there's basically a cyclepath all the way from Eskbank :)

10 minutes ago, Marten said:

You  can get the bus from the North Bridge in Edinburgh. 49 is direct but takes longer, you can get a 31 to Bonnyrigg the jump on the 49 there which saves time.

9 minutes ago, Marten said:

Bit of a trek from Dundee...

What Cowdenbeath said, but a man of your calibre can easily jog up the cycle path from Bonnyrigg (2 miles). Also there's a social club at the ground.

8 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

What Cowdenbeath said, but a man of your calibre can easily jog up the cycle path from Bonnyrigg (2 miles). Also there's a social club at the ground.

Just stick it on Mr N.Broon’s tab and ... 

:guinness

16 hours ago, Marten said:

Gaurenteed a warm welcome in bar, that and 3 points were the only certainties visitors got last year....