Whitehill welfare 2019/20

5 minutes ago, magoo said:

He's not allowed to say that a trip from bonnyrigg to dalbeattie in a wed night in winter could be hard work ??

Sigh... of course it could be (except it only actually happened 3 times in 6yr - and never in winter).

My recollection is NB always got most exercised about Gala, though, as he wanted a day out on the new train!

1 minute ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Should try Wolverhampton down and back on a Monday night in January ... :P

Mere trifle for you Rab? Surely a schools international earlier that afternoon and an U19 girls consolation cup-tie the following day :thumsup2.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Mere trifle for you Rab? Surely a schools international earlier that afternoon and an U19 girls consolation cup-tie the following day :thumsup2.

Ha ha unfortunately not on a school night Hibee :lol:.

And guess which game is the only confirmed away midweek next season .. in ... January ... :bairn.

14 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Ha ha unfortunately not on a school night Hibee :lol:.

And guess which game is the only confirmed away midweek next season .. in ... January ... :bairn.

Bad luck tbf - remainder holidays, plus Merseyside derby in early December.

Tuesday though this time.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bad luck tbf - remainder holidays, plus Merseyside derby in early December.

Tuesday though ;).

Ha ha that is true Hibee. Just watch Sky move Southampton - 2nd weekend in - to the Monday now ... :thumbsdown

We were also down at Threave midweek Feb / March 2016. Lost 3-1 in  what was to be Grant Carnie’s last game in charge. 

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf during the 6yr in LL Whitehill only once visited Gretna midweek in a rearranged game, not on Wednesday or in winter; and Dalbeattie twice in rearranged games, both Wednesdays but neither in winter ;) :P.

At least you won't need to whine about not getting down to Gala on a Saturday any more 8) :lol:.

Fairly certain I've done Gretna midweek twice, we lost one and won one if I mind ,one of the matches we drove back in horrendous conditions, blizzards,I'm sure Spartans decided against that.  ;) 

Throw in that Threave match Rab was on aboot makes it an interesting wee stat aboot oor midweek trips doon tae that part o the country :rolleyes:

Galas nightlife has went severely doon hill anyway  :P

Edited by newcastle broon

As much as I’m gutted for WW, it’s the right decision and all you need to do is go and win it... again! 8)

Back to the good old days, Whitehill Welfare kings of the East of Scotland league.

Pick yourselves up, dust yourself down and show all these new boys how it’s done... go easy on Cuikie though :thumsup2

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Galas nightlife has went severely doon hill anyway :P

I think there was some communication received from the Borders police regarding scheduling the Gala game midweek :lol:

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Fairly certain I've done Gretna midweek twice, we lost one and won one if I mind ,one of the matches we drove back in horrendous conditions, blizzards,I'm sure Spartans decided against that.  ;) 

Throw in that Threave match Rab was on aboot makes it an interesting wee stat aboot oor midweek trips doon tae that part o the country :rolleyes:

Galas nightlife has went severely doon hill anyway  :P

Is there any night life to be had in Rosewell?

7 hours ago, Spyro said:

As much as I’m gutted for WW, it’s the right decision and all you need to do is go and win it... again! 8)

Back to the good old days, Whitehill Welfare kings of the East of Scotland league.

Pick yourselves up, dust yourself down and show all these new boys how it’s done... go easy on Cuikie though :thumsup2

That ship has sailed, had a wee feeling with the new personnel and the way some of the others  seem to be going we might have managed mud table next season, never mind once the season starts and have a run of relative local games against teams that bring a decent enough fan base, all Will be good with the world again......

Aside from all the idiocy from the SFA that has caused real problems for both WW and BR what has happened at Whitehill?

Remember WW as pretty much the strongest of the old EoSL and it surpises me to see them struggling in a league with Civil Service, Dalbeattie, Vale of Leithen, Edusport, the University teams and even Gala.

Have those teams progressed while WW have regressed or is there other reasons?

Genuine question, it really does surprise me that WW were the first to drop out the LL (even with what happened at Selkirk).

8 minutes ago, RobM said:

Aside from all the idiocy from the SFA that has caused real problems for both WW and BR what has happened at Whitehill?

Remember WW as pretty much the strongest of the old EoSL and it surpises me to see them struggling in a league with Civil Service, Dalbeattie, Vale of Leithen, Edusport, the University teams and even Gala.

Genuine question, it really does surprise me that WW were the first to drop out the LL (even with what happened at Selkirk).

Basically, they had a season that would sum up my amateur career... a total mare!

24 minutes ago, RobM said:

Whitehill were a superpower of the old EOSL. Their total of 16 league titles may well stand forevermore. You can never take that away from them. That was an era  of 18/22 league games, some of them "easier" points, though. We live in different days.

Perhaps some of the USP for attracting players has gone? From being the only senior and pyramid team in Midlothian, there are now 7 (and 4 of them can offer the Scottish Cup too). Also the wage costs needed to sustain a strong team have increased. Whitehill haven't one of the larger supports and Rosewell isn't a big place. Granted same applies to other clubs you list - but Strathclyde clubs and now juniors joining; 30-game seasons; and incomes increasing through improved league organisation and club efforts; particularly test the "small club".

Nevertheless it looks like a bad season did for them. Prior to that they finished 4th, 7th, 8th, 8th and 12th, so while it was a downward trajectory it took a sharp plunge to 15th and bottom. It's not like they'd been circling the drain for years.

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Basically, they had a season that would sum up my amateur career... a total mare!

As simple as that though mate or is there something underlying causing it all?

1 minute ago, RobM said:

As simple as that though mate or is there something underlying causing it all?

That, and what HibeeJibee said...

I’m sure Newky will add his slant on things too, but it certainly caught me by surprise... just a pure shocker of a season from top to bottom :(