European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

4 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Horrendous reading about the EU Citizens being turned away at polling stations even though they’d registered because they hadn’t filled in an additional form that no one told them existed. Absolutely disgraceful from this deceitful, vile, incompetent Tory government to allow this to happen, although in no way surprising whatsoever.

Genuinely feel embarrassed to have to consider myself part of the “United Kingdom” and the scum running it.

You can blame the Tories for many things but this isn't one of them.  The Electoral Commission has responsibility for this.

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

You can blame the Tories for many things but this isn't one of them.  The Electoral Commission has responsibility for this.

The Electoral Commission warned the Government that this could happen 5 years ago. The changes required needed legislation. The Government ignored them.

D7QarbeXsAAFWcP.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Electoral Commission warned the Government that this could happen 2 years ago. The changes required needed legislation. The Government ignored them

The electoral Commission identified this as an issue in 2015 and have actually not improved the process nor implemented the findings of their own report.  

This isn't a Tory issue, the EU require that nationals can vote in either their home or resident elections but not both.  The UK has not changed the process in the intervening period but the Electoral commission has not adequately informed the electorate of the requirements.

We will make any recommendations to the UK Government in sufficient time for any changes to legislation to be introduced ahead of the 2019 European elections, and make sure that whatever process is in place it is clearly communicated to EU citizens in the UK.

There can be no dispute.  They didn't clearly communicate to EU citizens.

ETA: the proposal was that EU citizens would only be require to register once which logically would not have made one iota of a difference in this election as they would still be require to complete the form this first time.

Edited by strichener

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

The electoral Commission identified this as an issue in 2015 and have actually not improved the process nor implemented the findings of their own report.  

This isn't a Tory issue, the EU require that nationals can vote in either their home or resident elections but not both.  The UK has not changed the process in the intervening period but the Electoral commission has not adequately informed the electorate of the requirements.

There can be no dispute.  They didn't clearly communicate to EU citizens.

I edited my post, I suggest you read it. You can't blame the Electoral Commission for being told by the Government that the election wouldn't be taking place.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I edited my post, I suggest you read it.

As have I, the EC have the responsibility to run the elections in adherence with the law in place at the time.  They also have the responsibility for making sure that the elections run smoothly.  Nothing that they have proposed would have prevented this given the EU requirement of making sure that people do not vote twice and the need to register in the UK.

Edited by strichener

1 minute ago, strichener said:

As have I, the EC have the responsibility to run the elections in adherence with the law in place at the time.  They also have the responsibility for making sure that the elections run smoothly.  Nothing that they have proposed would have prevented this given the EU requirement of making sure that people do not vote twice and the need to register in the UK.

You don't know what procedural changes were suggested and they were told by the Government that we wouldn't be involved in the election.

Get a polling card through the door with a unique number, log on and vote, simple. It's about time voting became a bit more 21st century. We do everything else online from banking, shopping, howling at the moon and watching hot ladyboys playing hopscotch. Last election 2017 just shy of 20% postal voted. I do the postal vote as it's convenient,   Make voting easier and more people will vote.

Can guarantee if they made voting as simple as that, people still wouldn't bother their arse. You'd maybe get a few more of a percentage turnout, but nothing dramatic enough to call it successful.

To the EU election...can genuinely see the Brexit Party doing damage up in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Get a polling card through the door with a unique number, log on and vote, simple. It's about time voting became a bit more 21st century. We do everything else online from banking, shopping, howling at the moon and watching hot ladyboys playing hopscotch. Last election 2017 just shy of 20% postal voted. I do the postal vote as it's convenient,   Make voting easier and more people will vote.

Probably get a bit more electoral fraud going on but you’d also probably get a higher turnout.

I always get a postal vote these days. Cannot be bothered going to a polling station. 

Going by Facebook shite turnout and SNP and Brexit should do well.

I voted Green with my postal vote. My wife couldn’t be bothered voting for any of them so her postal vote went in the bin.

Received two voting cards in the post from the French authorities. Didn't have to ask for them, they just arrived. Bit different from the UK experience. I've already postal voted in the UK (if they didn't bin it), my wife will vote here as her UK ballot paper never turned up (like so many). She won't vote Frexit, just one of the pro-UE parties.

40 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Going by Facebook shite turnout and SNP and Brexit should do well.

I voted Green with my postal vote. My wife couldn’t be bothered voting for any of them so her postal vote went in the bin.

I wouldn't trust Facebook for accuracy.

10 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I wouldn't trust Facebook for accuracy.

It has the common touch. I’ve a good mix of Yes/No and Leave/Remain punters on there. Even with the backdrop of Brexit I think it’ll be another low turnout.

Edited by Scary Bear

41 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Liberal Democrats got my X

Used to vote snp but all the vitriol from cyber nats aimed towards the late Charles Kennedy really put me off them.

So, you base your vote on an exceptionally small minority of a certain party being twats. Ooft.