European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

3 hours ago, The Master said:

Voted at around 8.15 on my way to work. Polling station was dead. It's split into two sides based on address and you could tell both sides were desperate for me to go to them to have something to do.

Does anyone else get the self-doubt immediately after they've posted the paper? I made sure where my cross was going, made absolutely sure it was going where I wanted while making sure it was clear and in the box; then checked again it went where I wanted after I'd done it...but there's still that nagging feeling.

Totally irrational of course. 

I always check mine three or four times. Not because I'm worried that I've made an arse of it*, but because I fucking love seeing an "X" next to the SNP. Glorious. 

*Also, because I'm worried I've made an arse of it.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Add me to the list of people incapable of putting a cross in a box. In 2014 I went into a panic of "the cross isn't big enough"

I mean

What

Legally it doesn't even have to be a cross. There was a dispute over a ballot in a close election where someone had drawn a cock and balls, and it was allowed.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
Legally it doesn't even have to be a cross. There was a dispute over a ballot in a close election where someone had drawn a cock and balls, and it was allowed.

That was a council election in Brighton.

Bit childish mate. ;)

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

As long as it shows a clear preference then it will count.

Not sure drawing a dick next to someone's name is expressing a clear preference. That was probably the dispute.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/05/european-union-parliament-elections-antidemocratic/

A nice refresher on this sham of a 'parliament'.

This reminds us why national elites and oligarchies have been so keen, over the course of the past decades, to transfer power to the EU. Their aim was not simply to insulate economic policies from popular-democratic challenges, but also to reduce the political costs of the neoliberal transition, which clearly involved unpopular policies, by displacing the responsibility onto external institutions and factors. This can be said to embody what Edgar Grande calls the “paradox of weakness,” whereby national elites transfer some power to a supranational policymaker (thereby appearing weaker) in order to allow themselves to better withstand pressure from societal actors by testifying that “this is Europe’s will” (thereby becoming stronger). As Kevin Featherstone put it: “Binding EU commitments enable governments to implement unpopular reforms at home whilst engaging in ‘blameshift’ towards the ‘EU,’ even if they themselves had desired such policies” (emphasis added).

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So the elite are simultaneously using the EU to increase their power and wealth and doing their best to drag us out of the EU? 

How does that work?

4 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So the elite are simultaneously using the EU to increase their power and wealth and doing their best to drag us out of the EU? 

How does that work?

This may be tricky for you to understand but there can be schisms within the elite eg the Bush and Trump families are elites but are politically opposed.

In the UK the vast majority of the establishment are supporters of EU administered neoliberalism: the financial sector, the media, the legal profession, the civil service  and most big corporations. The much smaller group of elites who want to take us out are influenced by nostalgia for the British Empire and/or extreme Randian politics promoted by rich American crackpots.

The bottom line is that both groups want essentially the same thing they only differ in methodology.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This may be tricky for you to understand but there can be schisms within the elite eg the Bush and Trump families are elites but are politically opposed.

In the UK the vast majority of the establishment are supporters of EU administered neoliberalism: the financial sector, the media, the legal profession, the civil service  and most big corporations. The much smaller group of elites who want to take us out are influenced by nostalgia for the British Empire and/or extreme Randian politics promoted by rich American crackpots.

The bottom line is that both groups want essentially the same thing they only differ in methodology.

Ah, so there's more than one elite. How silly of me not to grasp this.

So which one is the elitist of the elite?