European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

Brexit party may get more EU election votes than Tories and Labour combined – Oooft! 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/11/brexit-party-may-get-more-eu-election-votes-than-tories-and-labour-combined-poll

The Brexit party 34 (+6)

Labour 21 (-7)

Liberal Democrat 12 (+5)

Conservative 11 (-3)

Green 8 (+2)

Ukip 4 (+1)

SNP 4 (-1)

Change UK – The Independent Group 3 (-4)

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

Just to bleed votes from the SNP.  That's why.

Exactly. 

It's quite obvious on current polling that the SNP will win seats 1, 2  & 3 under D'Hondt

Seat 4 will go to Labour

Seat 5 may go to the Conservatives or to the Brexit Party, depending on how many brexieteer loonies switch from Con to Brex. It's unlikely that both can win a seat unless the SNP/Green vote is split.

Seat 6 will go to the SNP if the Greens don't pick up too many Indy votes. Quite simply, if you believe in Indy, you should vote SNP if you believe that the SNP total vote will be more than the Green vote multiplied by 4.

Otherwise, you risk the Greens getting 1 vote less than the losers of the Con/Brex/LD dogfight, and a 3rd Unionist MEP elected.

It's quite clear that this is the scenario that the Sunday Mail is desperately trying to acheive.

I'll look forward to voting for the Greens in an Independent Scotland, but until that day, I'll vote SNP.

Labour have really fucked it, haven't they? They've spent so long chasing the votes of northern English racists who were never going to vote for them anyway that they've managed to alienate a huge part of their vote that up until recently would have been almost guaranteed. 

Sad thing is, the day after Farage's gammon party thumps them in these Elections, the mumbleclown will still be on the TV the next day trying to pander to the racists and ignoring the people who might actually fucking vote for him.

Labour have really fucked it, haven't they? They've spent so long chasing the votes of northern English racists who were never going to vote for them anyway that they've managed to alienate a huge part of their vote that up until recently would have been almost guaranteed. 
Sad thing is, the day after Farage's gammon party thumps them in these Elections, the mumbleclown will still be on the TV the next day trying to pander to the racists and ignoring the people who might actually fucking vote for him.
I'll wait to see the responses from Detournement, Highlandmagyar and White Rose Killie before I come to a decision on this.

Not sure what effect the Sunday Mail thinks the Greens can have in the European Parliament on climate change between now and October. (an issue the EU are very keen on tackling anyway and rightly so).

This election is about whether you support Brexit or not so taking votes away from the SNP, if that is the Sunday Mail's goal, is irrelevant as it's all about how many votes the Remain parties can get combined against the Leave parties.

The Brexit Party has my vote. Leave or Remain is an issue I've gone back on forth on but in the end I voted for Brexit. And since then the way the main parties have have tried to obstruct the democratic will of the people its left me with no other option. Had Yes won the 2014 referendum and Scotland was made to vote again I'd switch my vote from No to Yes despite being an unwavering No supporter. I still wouldn't agree with it but democracy isn't about me getting the result I wanted.

24 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Not sure what effect the Sunday Mail thinks the Greens can have in the European Parliament on climate change between now and October. (an issue the EU are very keen on tackling anyway and rightly so).

This election is about whether you support Brexit or not so taking votes away from the SNP, if that is the Sunday Mail's goal, is irrelevant as it's all about how many votes the Remain parties can get combined against the Leave parties.

The Brexit Party has my vote. Leave or Remain is an issue I've gone back on forth on but in the end I voted for Brexit. And since then the way the main parties have have tried to obstruct the democratic will of the people its left me with no other option. Had Yes won the 2014 referendum and Scotland was made to vote again I'd switch my vote from No to Yes despite being an unwavering No supporter. I still wouldn't agree with it but democracy isn't about me getting the result I wanted.

The issue is whether we'd be better off inside or outside the EU. All the available evidence indicates we'd be much better off inside, so I'll be voting SNP. Democracy's about what people think now, not what they thought in England in 2016.

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, thepundit said:

If we have a vote on whether or not you should throw yourself off a bridge and the majority votes in favour I hope you will respect that.

9 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Exactly. 

It's quite obvious on current polling that the SNP will win seats 1, 2  & 3 under D'Hondt

I don't think the SNP will do as well as it has been polling. It often happens that in these UK-wide elections, voters – or at least the sort who pick up things on the evening news – are increasingly influenced by the wider UK narrative the closer we come to the elections. As an example, just this morning had someone – an SNP member, but not particularly active – say she'd have to vote tactically against the Brexit Party, even though they're almost a non-event in Scotland up to now. But she'd seen the polls that showed UK-wide the swing to Brexit. Labour Party in Scotland also playing to that market (and I can see why they're doing it) as will the Lib Dems who will get plenty coverage about being the anti-Brexit Party. Hard to get the SNP's message across in that landscape.

Edited by Mr Heliums

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The issue is whether we'd be better off inside or outside the EU. All the available evidence indicates we'd be much better off inside, so I'll be voting SNP. Democracy's about what people think now, not what they thought in England in 2016.

Not sure why you're singling England out when it was a UK-wide vote, or why you're ignoring the Welsh who also voted Leave. :)

It was always going to take a few years to leave so do we just keep running referendums until Remain finally wins?

I don't care about what England or Wales want. If they want to be ignorant or stupid, I'd rather they were left to it, rather than be dragged into their pathetic wee backwater with them.

Regardless of what happens in these elections and with the EU status, I want us out of this absolute fucking cesspit.

15 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Not sure why you're singling England out when it was a UK-wide vote, or why you're ignoring the Welsh who also voted Leave. :)

It was always going to take a few years to leave so do we just keep running referendums until Remain finally wins?

No we respect democracy.  England and Wales get what they voted for which is brexit, Scotland gets what it voted for which is indyref2.  N Ireland who cares.

The Torys and Labour will take an absolute beasting at EU elections. This will happen because the public will see this as a protest opportunity (it wouldn't happen in a GE). Problems is May and Corbyn are so fucking stupid that they will see the Brexit Parties surge and change their stance accordingly. The bigger picture won't be considered and May's shitty deal with customs union will pass. May will quit, hard brexiteer in place and we steer towards a harder solution over time.

However I think there will be another referendum and Remain wins...[emoji23]

6 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

I'm surprised the Greens aren't showing up better in these recent polls. 

As I'll be unable to vote SNP they (the Greens) will be getting my vote.

The Lib Dems have proved conclusively they cannot be trusted.

Are the conservatives actually contesting the EU elections or are they going to dismiss them completely as of no relevance on the grounds they're about to get a total fisting? 

I saw something over the weekend where they were lining up the "protest vote" pish. It may be a protest vote but the problem for them is it will repeat rather than be a one off.