European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

The currency position will certainly need to be clear in voters minds prior to the Ref, as it will continue to be the main point of the Naw campaign, They will continue to harp on about threats to pensions and savings, while no doubt pulling out more 'key' businesses who will flee across the border the next day. Just reheated from the last time. I am happy with using the pound and moving to a Scottish currency whenever, but it will come up a lot in debates. Also expect to hear (again) that all oil reserves are about to run out.
The other point of attack will be EU membership. It might be best to float a Norway style, EFTA model to try and appease EU sceptics.
What seems likely is that the mainstream media will be even more vicious. I expect Ruth herself to front the No campaign which is a gift, as the Tories overplay her popularity. Lets see whats shes like under real pressure..it will be easy to pull out her inconsistencies (at best) on all matters from EU membership to currency, defence etc. She will also have to defend a probably Boris as PM, and possibly Hard Brexit into the bargin by then.

The easiest way to appease them us to commit to a referendum on EU membership post-independence.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We'd certainly be net contributors just because of our GDP per capita, by how much is hard to say. We've got a lot of rural and sparsely populated areas that benefit from EU grants for infrastructure projects for example. Click on the various buttons on the link below to see how complicated it gets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

Considering some of the countries who are small net recipients it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that we would be net recipients as well initially:

EU_budget_net_contributions_jJnxF0M.png

Would depend quite a lot on our initial corporation tax policies as many of the largest private employers would be London headquartered.

9 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Considering some of the countries who are small net recipients it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that we would be net recipients as well initially:

EU_budget_net_contributions_jJnxF0M.png

Would depend quite a lot on our initial corporation tax policies as many of the largest private employers would be London headquartered.

Luxembourg are low in that calculation  partly because the large amounts they spend hosting various EU institutions aren't included. That's what I meant about complicated. This table shows what happens if you divide net contribution by population, from the BBC link above.

graph_net_capit_466x485.gif

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Luxembourg are low in that calculation  partly because the large amounts they spend hosting various EU institutions aren't included. That's what I meant about complicated. This table shows what happens if you divide net contribution by population, from the BBC link above.

graph_net_capit_466x485.gif

Cheers. 2007 figures I'd imagine the Irish would be closer to equilibrium now. Shows our VAT + corporation rates would matter hugely in the setup phase. 

Snippet from the mine of info in the BBC link I posted above.

To an extent the EU's richer countries help fund the development of the poorer ones. 

But there are other economic incentives for joining the European Union. Every member state benefits from the EU internal market and the EU's clout in world trade negotiations.

Arguably, the more developed countries benefit most, because they engage in the most trade.

25 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Explanation please.

A % of the contributions are calculated by the respective countries' own VAT rates. UK has a high VAT rate so pays more contributions than others for that part. 

Corporation tax matters as can be seen with Ireland's difference between their GNI and their GDP.

1 minute ago, TavTastic said:

A % of the contributions are calculated by the respective countries' own VAT rates. UK has a high VAT rate so pays more contributions than others for that part. 

Compensated for by the non agricultural payments parts of the rebate.

6 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Corporation tax matters as can be seen with Ireland's difference between their GNI and their GDP.

The EU uses a harmonised VAT rate in its calculations to ensure countries with higher VAT rates aren't penalised.

Your second paragraph makes no sense.

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
More info.

21 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The EU uses a harmonised VAT rate in its calculations to ensure countries with higher VAT rates aren't penalised.

Your second paragraph makes no sense.

Sorry I misread that bit. You are correct it's just a result of paying an equal percentage of a larger VAT income.

How doesn't the second paragraph make sense? Ireland's very low corporation tax rate is why it's GNI is significantly lower than its GDP.

Edited by TavTastic