European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

Thank you Roger.
That proves my point. Green vote multiplied by 4 is still well short of the SNP vote.

Whatever way you cut that 46% of the vote, it's not enough to get 4 seats.

And plenty of people will vote Green for environmental reasons rather than because they're necessarily pro-indy.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Whatever way you cut that 46% of the vote, it's not enough to get 4 seats.

And plenty of people will vote Green for environmental reasons rather than because they're necessarily pro-indy.

46.2% divided by 4 is 11.6.% That's 7th place, only 0.1% behind the Tories on 11.7%.

The Greens on their own finished 9th. As I have consistently said, a Green vote is a wasted vote until we achieve independence.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Lord Ashcroft's massive 2016 poll found that around 35% of SNP voters also voted to leave the EU.

There are also Tory and Labour loyalists who would support a hard Brexit.

These figures just prove that the country is split over Brexit and is punishing both the Government and the main Opposition party. 

Not like Sarah Smith to put a little spin on things:
"The SNP campaigned on a very clear anti-Brexit message. They specifically appealed to people who are not natural SNP supporters - people who are not necessarily in favour of Scottish independence."

Although this is sweet :
"Labour have done very badly in these elections"

Is that not fair enough comment?

The European elections, especially this year, are an opportunity for protest votes. Voters love to stick the boot into weak leaders. 
Tonight's results will not have much impact on the next general election. The Brexit deal, or the lack of one, will be the main factor.
If I was in Labour high command this morning I would not be clamouring for a GE any time soon as long as the utterly hapless combination of Corbyn and Leonard is still in place. Sure, the European Elections are used for protest votes but voters in Scotland especially have got seriously out of the habit of backing Labour. Thankfully.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Is that not fair enough comment?

Disingenuous to say the SNP specifically appealed to people who do not necessarily support independence and asked them to lend their votes – which sounds like they were pleading for temporary support, which I don't think they were. The only party doing this was the Brexit party asking independence supporters to lend their votes.

46.2% divided by 4 is 11.6.% That's 7th place, only 0.1% behind the Tories on 11.7%.
The Greens on their own finished 9th. As I have consistently said, a Green vote is a wasted vote until we achieve independence.

No vote is wasted if the individual is voting for the party they’d like to win. Who the f**k are you to tell them otherwise?

That Edinburgh vote suggests to me that EU citizens are turning to the idea of independence for Scotland.
It's time. 

I think it says more that it was a de facto vote on membership of the EU, and that the remain vote came out. I think you’d be stretching a point to say it was anything more than that.