European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

Recieved leaflets from them all at the same time.

Tories - "Tell Nicola nae mare referendums!"

Labour - "Our brexit will be better, we pwomise!"

LibDems - "The ONLY anti-brexit party in the UK.... we think"

Brexit Party - "Scot.... err, we mean the UK voters have been BETRAYED!!!"

UKIP - "What those guys said!"

SNP - "Let's give Scotland a strong voice in Europe and make it clear that we wish to stay"

Greens - "Like us, but pssst.... dinnae be daft and vote for us instead of the SNP, ok?"

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Probably already mentioned but we won't be hearing any results until Sunday.
Will there be an exit poll, or perhaps that won't be allowed?

I think it's the full results we won't get until Sunday.

Western Isles aren't counting until then or something. 

I still think we will have the majority of votes in Friday morning. 

3 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

From the Telegraph website -

The polls will take place in the UK on May 23 2019.

When do we find out the results?

Voters in Ireland turn out the following day. Those in the Czech Republic, Latvia, Malta and Slovakia vote on May 25 and the remaining 21 EU nations cast their ballots on May 26.

The results from every nation will be released on the evening of May 26 after the last polling station in the continent is closed.

3 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

Most of Europe hold their elections on Sunday, so it's probably to coordinate with them. Possible our results could skew the turnout in other countries, say by spurring on Nationalist Populist voters if the Brexit Party do well.

Just now, Blue-Toon said:

From the Telegraph website -

The polls will take place in the UK on May 23 2019.

When do we find out the results?

Voters in Ireland turn out the following day. Those in the Czech Republic, Latvia, Malta and Slovakia vote on May 25 and the remaining 21 EU nations cast their ballots on May 26.

The results from every nation will be released on the evening of May 26 after the last polling station in the continent is closed.

Ahh I see, my bad.

36 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, I'd have thought the last place likely to count on a Sunday would be the Western Isles...

They don't have a choice as all EU counts must take place at the same time. Some areas might to the first verification count on the Thursday before the ballot papers are locked away till all polls close on Sunday. Then it is the actual count time. All to do with the possibility of known results affecting voting in other countries.

2 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

No... the Western Isles don't do Sundays due to  the Sabbatarianism of many of the community there. The Wee Frees are allowed to do Fridays.

Wonder how they do the count? I'd imagine the votes are counted locally and sent to a regional centre and stuffed into a computer. Hope it's not some guy in Dingwall with a pencil and slide rule.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, I'd have thought the last place likely to count on a Sunday would be the Western Isles...

Indeed.

Didn't Scotland announce/count their results on the Monday whilst the rUK on the Sunday due to Na h-Eileanan Iar?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

No.

Do you see them as pro remain or not knowing what they want?

Surely at least the Tories are pro Brexit. A lot of the MPs and most definitely the grass roots.

Labour is harder to judge but I see Corbyn as pro Brexit. There seems to be more of a split in his party and supporters though. 

8 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Do you see them as pro remain or not knowing what they want?

Surely at least the Tories are pro Brexit. A lot of the MPs and most definitely the grass roots.

Labour is harder to judge but I see Corbyn as pro Brexit. There seems to be more of a split in his party and supporters though. 

In terms of leadership, MPs, party members and party voters I think they are both all over the place.

I genuinely could not even call the Conservative Party as a whole pro-Brexit.  That’s why they will take a thumping on Thursday.

I will make this prediction, if Boris Johnson becomes PM there will not be a clear No Deal Brexit.  It’s one thing to posture and pontificate, it’s another to lead the country into a potential economic crisis.

16 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/20/pro-anti-brexit-parties-neck-and-neck-eu-election-poll

Should the Labour and Tory votes not be counted as pro-Brexit as well?

I think they could be. 

They seem too committed to delivering some variation of May's deal and Brexit in some form. I certainly wouldn't vote for them as a remainer because at the very least, nobody can tell what they really stand for on this and thus, what they will actually agree to/deliver.

Edited by Jambomo