European Election - 23rd May 2019

Enigma

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, HTG said:

I saw something over the weekend where they were lining up the "protest vote" pish. It may be a protest vote but the problem for them is it will repeat rather than be a one off.

I doubt it.

We shouldn't forget that the vast majority of these Brexit Party voters are still f*cking Tories. The 'Brexit Party' is simply the far right wing of the Tory party under another name, with that kqunt Fromage as its figurehead. 

The same as UKIP was back in the day.

The Brexit Party will die an instant death after the elections, with their only 'success' being to swing the Tories even further to the right under a new leader (if that were possible).

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'll expand further on my post above. 

Since Thatcher, every leader of the Tories has been a centrist (especially Cameron).  They've all been evil fuckers, but have all essentially been on the moderate side of Conservatism.

Farage understands though what your average Tory supporter in the UK really is.....an inward looking right-winger who detests multiculturalism, liberal values, gays, anyone with a different coloured skin or who worships a religion that they don't understand. Your average Tory wants the death penalty back, homosexuality to be made illegal, metric measurements to be discarded, and the people above tried for treason.

Farage gets that. And as with UKIP, he knows that by courting the lowest common denominator he can be almost single-handedly be responsible for the Tory party ditching any pretence of liberal or centralist values, and therefore turning into pretty much a carbon-copy of the current Republican party in the USA.

Brexit was ALWAYS a right-wing takeover......all this pish about improving the lot of the working class  by 'taking back control' is just a front for successive UK governments now swinging towards the far-right. 

Farage has never had any real power that comes with position, but he hasn't had to. The Tories have been jumping to his tune (and that of his far more wealthy and influential backers) for years now.

5 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

What's the spread of Scottish MEPs at the moment?

The only 3 I know of (I think) are Smith (SNP), Martin (Lab) and Coburn (UKIP).

2 SNP, 2 Labour, 1 Tory, 1 Independent (ex Ukip)

BREX: 34% (+4)
LAB: 16% (-5)
LDEM: 15% (+5)
GRN: 11% (+2)
CON: 10% (-3)
CHUK: 5% (-4)

In a way it's reassuring that despite the election effectively meaning f**k all, traditionally used as a protest vote (what did UKIP get last time?) and with parliament the mess it is, still just a third are voting for the brexit party and a hard no deal brexit.
34% no deal
26% some kind of deal,
31% + SNP/PC remain

1 hour ago, glasgow-sheep said:

In a way it's reassuring that despite the election effectively meaning f**k all, traditionally used as a protest vote (what did UKIP get last time?) and with parliament the mess it is, still just a third are voting for the brexit party and a hard no deal brexit.
34% no deal
26% some kind of deal,
31% + SNP/PC remain

Farage has refused to say who he's being funded by and has some very classy graphics and promotional material compared to the especially shambolic Change UK. He has total control, whatever he says is party policy, supporters have no say and there will be no manifesto. I suspect this is an attempted takeover of UK politics by some American billionaire friend of Steve Bannon.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:

34% no deal
26% some kind of deal,
31% + SNP/PC remain

Yeap, but that's not really the point (see my posts above).

The aim of the Brexit Party is to terrify enough moderate Tory MP's into supporting a (further) right-wing ideology, including something closer to their beloved no-deal Brexit. 

UKIP under Farage managed to terrify the Tories into holding the EU referendum. He's simply employing the same tactics.

1 hour ago, glasgow-sheep said:

34% no deal
26% some kind of deal,
31% + SNP/PC remain

Yip, but that is not the way the MSM or Brexit supporting Tories will portray it.

Yeap, but that's not really the point (see my posts above).
The aim of the Brexit Party is to terrify enough moderate Tory MP's into supporting a (further) right-wing ideology, including something closer to their beloved no-deal Brexit. 
UKIP under Farage managed to terrify the Tories into holding the EU referendum. He's simply employing the same tactics.
This. That's why Farage is playing a blinder as I noted above.

Yip, but that is not the way the MSM or Brexit supporting Tories will portray it.
Oh I know that.
This is a dream result for JRM et Al which will get to drag their party (further) right.
How does that effect their electability long-term thought?

6 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

What's interesting about it? Is it wildly different than previous polls?

whoosh on the joke aside, it suggests that Northern Ireland may not have two unionist MEPs for the first time in its history,  and with the possibility of a cross-community party potentially picking up the third seat.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's probably not confined to England either.  I learned this evening  directly from a conversation with this area's MSP that on Saturday in Helensburgh, not a town which ever entertained UKIP, the Brexit Party had a very busy stall in the town.  There is currently a collective madness afflicting a percentage of the UK population, which in my opinion is in direct proportion to the dumbing down of large swathes of the electorate over a long period of time, assisted by the mass madia pumping them full of a gas called propaganda.  It hasn't happened by accident either but the  outcome isn't perhaps what was ordered by Big Capital, as into the intellectual vacuum have marched the Farages and Bannons, latter day Mussolinis but minus the toytown uniforms.

As for the good rednecks of Featherstone, f**k them, they'll ken soon enough if they get their way.

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There is currently a collective madness afflicting a percentage of the UK population, which in my opinion is in direct proportion to the dumbing down of large swathes of the electorate over a long period of time, assisted by the mass madia pumping them full of a gas called propaganda. 

Aye I went on YouTube to look at some TV debates about Britain's entry to the Common Market in the seventies. It's frightening to witness the gulf in quality and depth of discussion and reason compared to now. Farage and Francois wouldn't have been allowed near a microphone.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's probably not confined to England either.  I learned this evening  directly from a conversation with this area's MSP that on Saturday in Helensburgh, not a town which ever entertained UKIP, the Brexit Party had a very busy stall in the town.  There is currently a collective madness afflicting a percentage of the UK population, which in my opinion is in direct proportion to the dumbing down of large swathes of the electorate over a long period of time, assisted by the mass madia pumping them full of a gas called propaganda.  It hasn't happened by accident either but the  outcome isn't perhaps what was ordered by Big Capital, as into the intellectual vacuum have marched the Farages and Bannons, latter day Mussolinis but minus the toytown uniforms.

As for the good rednecks of Featherstone, f**k them, they'll ken soon enough if they get their way.

Vacuum is the right word. 

Labour are as culpable in this as the Tories. It beggars belief that they haven't taken a strong centralist position which would have enabled them to dictate events. Their ineptitude has allowed the far-right in the shape of Farage and his dodgy backers a platform to be portrayed as the saviours of the people, and for their disgusting politics to become mainstream.

Clusterf*ck doesn't even begin to describe it.