what hobbies do you like doing

Ylf

Guest Moomintroll
I've discovered the underlying truth behind all of the main religions and can bring fulfilment and harmony to the world.  
You probably won't be receptive to the truth, with all your possessions and sexual hang ups getting in the way. 
I can help you find the truth. 
I'm convinced.eFfmdb3.jpg

22 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Don't know if it counts as a hobby but I've become utterly obsessed with whisky over the past couple of years. So spend a lot of time and money trying new stuff, visiting distilleries, going to tastings and festivals etc. I'm trying to build myself a nice wee collection but I keep drinking it! 

Is that not what it's for?

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Well yes but a lot of collectory types keep it and don't drink it, or worse - buy it to sell it on for profit. f**k them. 

Glenn Fiddich will be birling in his grave.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 04:41, LondonHMFC said:

Started looking into my family history over the past year, managed to get back to the early 1700s on both sides. Found out some really interesting stuff, especially with a number of ancestors migrating from Scotland during and shortly after the clearances. 

We were watching a television drama about Sir Edmund Hillary and his post-Everest career as an Arctic explorer. That jogged a decades-old memory of a great-uncle telling me that a nephew of his was on an Arctic expedition. A few minutes on the Interwebz and I was able to determine that one of Hillary's expedition mates shared the same, fairly uncommon name as my great-uncle. I mentioned this to my sister and she took the idea and ran with it. She dug up all kinds of stuff about the guy - he was a pilot, born in Canada, but grew up in New Zealand and always considered himself a Kiwi. Killed in a traffic accident in the late fifties (when there could only have been about a dozen cars in the whole country). She found photos of him in a museum exhibit in Auckland and was even able to find where his plane is on display. Now, the great-uncle was related to us by marriage so this pilot chap is only a relative in the most tenuous sense however...  

That got her interested enough to start exploring the family proper. She's hit a few dead ends but has managed to trace several branches back quite a distance. Apparently she was thrown by more than one relative using names other than the ones they were given. Covering their tracks, no doubt. A Crimean War veteran, several World War 1 veterans. one who did time in prison as a Conshy, at least one Clydeside Red and apparently my Dad had an aunt that none of us had ever heard mentioned. Have to wonder what her story was. I'm the third of the line (that we know of) to have emigrated to America. As yet, she hasn't determined that we're heirs to the Romanov fortune or anything but it's fascinating stuff all the same.

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

That got her interested enough to start exploring the family proper. She's hit a few dead ends but has managed to trace several branches back quite a distance. Apparently she was thrown by more than one relative using names other than the ones they were given.

I joined that Ancestry site, and a lady from Australia got in touch with me who was doing her partners side of the family. He is something like my 3rd cousin. We confirmed a few details and then she sent me a shit load of information. I actually felt a bit bad as she said she had spent the best part of 20 years doing it, and then I come a long and get all the information within a few hours. 

Like your Sister, there seemed to be numerous name changes that caused confusion when looking back. 

Charles McKinnon came to Australia – but as the family story goes he jumped ship.  Lorne told me that he took the name of one of the other fellows on the same ship that they worked their passage on.  His name was Jim (James) Nicholls. 

My research confirms, and also the DNA match to Peter, Paul and Carl, that my research has been correct (very satisfying when it confirmed by another way).  Jim served with the AIF in WW1 – his application gave his father as Angus Nicholls; his mother as Grace McKinnon.  He could hardly give a different surname for his father that would have rung alarm bells.  He also lived in fear of being deported if his secret was discovered.  He went to his grave as a ‘Nicholls’.  I was told that when he was overseas on his war service that he got to see his Mum in Edinburgh not that long before she died (1918).

Collected football scarves, but not bought any new ones for a while (except for replacing the Stranraer scarf which was used at my wedding ceremony 2 years ago ;) ).

Collected football a few shirts, but of obscure teams. Pride and joy is a Fremad Valby shirt (Danish equivalent of non-league, way down the pyramid) as my uncle played for them in the 1980s.

Hill walking since 2006.

Curling, but could not play this season.

Online collating of (digital) Morton news and match reports, some going back before the SFL even started up. General Morton historian stuff - goalscorers etc. If I'd the know-how I'd love to make a Morton equivalent of the Celtic wiki, but Microsoft Paint is my technical limit. No clue about making websites.

Converting anything Morton-related from VHS or DVD to digital and then onto Youtube. Some of the stuff I've put up began life as Betamax recordings.

I still have a huge stack of Subbuteo in the loft, which hasn't seen the light of day since 1999. Promised myself than when the kids move out I'll make a games room with a full stadium in it.

3 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Collected football scarves, but not bought any new ones for a while (except for replacing the Stranraer scarf which was used at my wedding ceremony 2 years ago ;) ).

Collected football a few shirts, but of obscure teams. Pride and joy is a Fremad Valby shirt (Danish equivalent of non-league, way down the pyramid) as my uncle played for them in the 1980s.

Hill walking since 2006.

Curling, but could not play this season.

Online collating of (digital) Morton news and match reports, some going back before the SFL even started up. General Morton historian stuff - goalscorers etc. If I'd the know-how I'd love to make a Morton equivalent of the Celtic wiki, but Microsoft Paint is my technical limit. No clue about making websites.

Converting anything Morton-related from VHS or DVD to digital and then onto Youtube. Some of the stuff I've put up began life as Betamax recordings.

I still have a huge stack of Subbuteo in the loft, which hasn't seen the light of day since 1999. Promised myself than when the kids move out I'll make a games room with a full stadium in it.

We've got a Dumbarton FC wiki type site, at www.sonsarchive.com, it's pretty good, done by Sons supporters, no idea about website development myself but maybe worth a look to get some ideas or a link to get help. Just a thought 

• 1 year later...

As I'm furloughed and bored, decided to try a new hobby of knifemaking.

First attempt -

20201206_142737-jpg.561933

Wrapped in pink paracord cos it's a present for the wife. Only tools have been a hacksaw, files and sandpaper but I did end up making a wee forge for the heat treatment

38 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

As I'm furloughed and bored, decided to try a new hobby of knifemaking.

First attempt -

20201206_142737-jpg.561933

Wrapped in pink paracord cos it's a present for the wife. Only tools have been a hacksaw, files and sandpaper but I did end up making a wee forge for the heat treatment

@mathematics. Your Christmas present buying dilemma is over.