Inverness City fold

GNU_Linux

I know north football doesn't get discussed much here but thougth it was worth it's own thread.

It comes with great sadness that we are writing this post! Unfortunately after 13 years the club is having to fold! Throughout the years we have had great success on the park first off in the North Caley league and subsequently in the North Region Junior FA.

During this time however we have not had our problems to seek with having a constant issue of trying to find a home ground. We had thought our problems were solved when we were granted a 5 year lease at the bught park in Inverness, and had hoped this short lease would be extended beyond this. Unfortunately this was not to be last year and we took the decision to take a year out of the juniors to try and find a more permanent home. We have tried every avenue possible, but unfortunately to no avail!

At this time we would like to thank every player, fan, official and committee member who has helped and supported the club along the way! Along with every opposing club who we have had some great battles against over the years! There’s a number of people who deserve big mentions, however I think 3 people in particular deserve a special mention: Stevie Graham, Alastair Wardhaugh and the late Ian Lister. All of whom the club could not have survived as long as it did without them!

Finally a special mention is also reserved for the highland council....for whom we can thank for the death of the football club! Throughout the 13 years of our existence they have been of almost zero assistance, putting barriers up in our way at every single turn! How on earth a city the size of Inverness can’t support a junior football club is staggering, especially when you see the assistance given to many other sports clubs and facilities throughout the city! Not that these other clubs are not worthy but why them and not us - sometimes your face needs to fit!

Inverness has 2 cricket clubs, who often struggle to fulfil fixtures due to number of players, playing out of 2 of the best facilities in Inverness at the meeting park and Fraser park yet we couldn’t get a pitch! We finally got a pitch at the bught, spending £80k doing it up, contributing over £6k a year to the already stretched council coffers and have now been thrown out for what....the pitch is now lying dormant, no longer used! Finally I’ve learnt today that the dalneigh pitches, a venue we were told was not available due to it being used for housing, has recently been given a lease to another football club for 25 years for the huge sum of £1 per annum - nothing fishy going on there I suppose!

The rant could go on, I think everyone ever associated with the club knows all of the issues we have faced!

Sad end to what was a great story! Great friends and great memories made! Hopefully other clubs don’t have as many issues as we do in the future however if they have to deal with that council I’d wish them all the best of luck!

The city still has Inverness Athletic of the North Caledonian League & Clachnacuddin of the Highland League for non-league representation.

Always sad to hear any team folding, no matter the level. The heartfelt message you have posted is the other side of the beautiful game. Total respect to everyone who worked so hard for so long, you will always have the memories. 

Sad to hear of any club folding. Inverness City came to Bellsdale in the Junior Cup last Season and despite a 12-0 defeat they were very upbeat and a nicer bunch of people you wouldn't meet. Very disappointed its come to this for Alastair and co and will only have come after every door was closed to them.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

What are they going to do with Grant Street?

The way it reads in the facebook comments is that its pitches that Clach are using for their kids teams. Don't think the use is intended for first team football.

EDIT:

image.png.6cf128caf2c6bf2e98ba466800a3d6dc.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

I know north football doesn't get discussed much here but thougth it was worth it's own thread.

The city still has Inverness Athletic of the North Caledonian League & Clachnacuddin of the Highland League for non-league representation.

Inverness Athletic have to play in Muir of Ord! There isn’t even a pitch suitable for NCL in Inverness thanks to the council  :unsure2:

6 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Inverness Athletic have to play in Muir of Ord! There isn’t even a pitch suitable for NCL in Inverness thanks to the council  :unsure2:

Aren't Inverness Athletic back in Inverness at a High School or something?

EDIT:

image.png.0eccf2e1d6b5209b21df3e5157cc0640.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Aren't Inverness Athletic back in Inverness at a High School or something?
Inverness Royal Academy 4G. The club prior to Muir Of Ord played at Inverarnie Park in Farr for a short spell.

My apologies! Didn’t realise they were back in town, ridiculous carry on they guys had trying to find somewhere to play.

Another great pitch at North Kessock that the local council have wasted for years while pandering to the NIMBY’ers