A postive case for the union

Having your piss poor arguments in favour of the Union destroyed by logic isn't the bullying you seem to suggest. The big bad cybernats are abusing me, standard Brit nat tactic of deflection when they can't justify their position.

I am flouncing. I have been accused of trolling,attention seeking,being a yoon,Britnat etc etc. I hadn't realised how much my "mewlings" would be missed and am heartened by the calls for more Loondave wisdom but it's too soon..
Mate. You are literally one of the only guys on the politics forum that has actually admitted to trolling. It ain't accusations if it's true.

For the record...what a surprise to see you on a thread titled " positive case for the union" , having absolutely f**k all. I'm sure everyone else will be as shocked as I am [emoji23].

Mate. You are literally one of the only guys on the politics forum that has actually admitted to trolling. It ain't accusations if it's true. For the record...what a surprise to see you on a thread titled " positive case for the union" , having absolutely f**k all. I'm sure everyone else will be as shocked as I am [emoji23].

Im a reformed character these days.

It's quite obvious when Loondave is trolling and even if he does, who gives a shit? It's a politics sub-forum on a Scottish football forum. It's hardly Chomsky debating Foucault. [emoji38]
I see myself as the one eyed king in the land of the blind tbh. More Peterson than Chomsky here most days. I am constantly amused at the aggression levels here which I can only assume are relics of 2014 "butthurt" or whatever these youngsters say nowadays.

I'm a nationalist so I'll have a shot as devil's advocate.
The nations that make up the UK share a long history which has weaved our cultures and peoples together which has led to us playing a major role in the technological, cultural, industrial progress of the world. We're admired all over the world for our ingenuity, independence and adaptability, and it would be a great sadness for Scotland to leave this union and diminish both our legacy and our world standing. As a union we've been a balancing force in world geopolitics, having worked to curtail the tyrannical ambitions of Napoleon, Wilhelm and Hitler. We live in an unprecedentedly peaceful time, and have through the pain endured by generations of Britons before us, earned this reward. We are world leaders in so many fields of science, and our children travel from each others nations to study and share knowledge and become the innovators of tomorrow. Our power now is of this type rather than military power, and we're able to use this in so many positive ways around the world as a united kingdom. We are Isaac Newton and we are James Clerk Maxwell. We are Philip Larkin and we are Norman MacCaig. We are Nigel Kennedy and we are Evelyn Glennie.
Something like that, I guess?

See this point about a shared culture, what cultural things do we share with England besides football violence and fish and chips that we couldnt have without independence?

19 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

"I can't make a positive case right now. But believe me when I tell you that they would all suddenly become apparent if Scotland ever makes the disastrous decision to run it's own affairs. Just vote NO"

It worked the last time.

If it ain't broke...

The obvious argument would be the same as leaving the EU, all the cooperative institutions doing the boring stuff, like duplicating checks on medicine, health and safety, and all the research projects etc. Basically nearly all the disadvantages of leaving the EU. We could rejoin all the European ones, but it would seriously disrupt UK stuff without a sensible UK withdrawal arrangement.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The obvious argument would be the same as leaving the EU, all the cooperative institutions doing the boring stuff, like duplicating checks on medicine, health and safety, and all the research projects etc. Basically nearly all the disadvantages of leaving the EU. We could rejoin all the European ones, but it would seriously disrupt UK stuff without a sensible UK withdrawal arrangement.

Given there's no incentive for either party not to have a sensible withdrawal arrangement any suggestion that there wouldn't be one can be filed under Project Fear.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

How braw would it be if Chomsky had an alt account on here. Who would it be if he was?

I was going to say me but he's anarchist and I don't truck with childish ideologies.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Meanwhile in the real world away from all the gallus bullshit and the shortbread nationalism, some of the actual problems an Independent Scotland, which would take years and in some cases decades to resolve would face include:-

1) As welshbairn said above, replicating all the laws and legislation which currently reside in UK law. Simply casually dismissing that isn't on.

2) Re-negotiating trade deals with other nations. Even the UK haven't got the US, India or China on board yet for Brexit. Scotland would face much tougher negotiations.

3) The EU question would need resolving which would have serious implications on all of the above PLUS our relationship with rUK.

4) Setting up and running various public bodies and government ministries.

5) Setting up and funding a bank of last resort.

6) Setting up immigration and defence policies.

As a small country we would be in a very weak position in all negotiations regarding trade or international treaties leaving us at a very high risk of potentially being forced to accept poorer deals than we would as part of the UK or having to rely on WTC rules.

Anyone who thinks this lot would take anything other than many many years to sort out is kidding themselves. Independence is going to be a fucking mess for some time. Whether you are Yes or No you need to face up to this.

Drivel from beginning to end.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

And there is the problem right there. The Yes side is stuffed with people like you who simply dismiss very real problems an Independent Scotland will face.

By the way, don't feel you have to go through the effort of actually debating what you disagree with. :rolleyes: 

Easier just to chuck an insult obviously.

I can't wait to hear the plan of how we are going to force the US, China and India to simply bend over and give us a trade deal.

Yet more drivel. There are over 200 successful independent countries. The idea that we'd be an exception is not credible. Take your Project Fear nonsense elsewhere.