St Johnstone vs Motherwell - Saturday 11th May

McHugh too slow, has been robbed from behind more than any player in history.

Grimshaw can run in a straight line, his wonderful diagonal runs are because he cannot turn his frame to straighten up probably due to his lack of a left foot.

Dunne, please just roll the ball to the nearest guy in the same strip, nothing else.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Very comfortable 3 points in the end. Surprised at how little Motherwell troubled us considering the bottom six title was at stake.  

For all the talk of us needing a new central midfielder, and we do, Liam Craig and Murray Davidson (and Callachan) have pretty much dominated midfield in all four games post-split. Possibly not quite enough to get us competing with the top teams, but far better than anything the bottom six has to offer.  And Liam Craig's Maradona spin away from two players in central midfield in the second half was great to watch.

Kennedy's quietest game for us. But O'Halloran looks like he could be back to top form for us next season with a good pre-season and staying injury free. Hendry lively again when he came on.

All 4 across the back strolled it, but thought Zander looked a bit flappy with a few of his saves.

Typical from Kane. Some great work, commitment and running, some decent link up play, and did well to run across Dunne to draw the foul for the penalty, but some of his finishing was awful, and had a couple of great opportunities to put MOH through but messed up a 10 yard pass each time.  I guess that jeckyll and Hyde thing is just going to be the way of it with him.

Nice touch from the manager to give Shaughnessy his final couple of minutes in a Saints shirt at McDiarmid.

I thought it took until the penalty for us to properly take control of the midfield TBH. Agree it was very comfortable in the end but the first half hour could have gone either way. Once Muzz got the engine running though it was a sight to behold, don't think he lost a header all day. It was a missed penalty that cost us at least a point last time we played them at McDairmid, so it was good to see that going in. 

Strolled the second half. Agree that Zander seemed oddly indecisive. Basically, I thought every player except Spoony and Kane had very good games. We need better. In Spoony's case, we probably already have better.  With Wright back in the team next year when could he ever justify a game?

If MOH can continue his upward momentum into next season he'll be a real threat. Clearly over his injury now. Kennedy seemed quieter but by god does he put in a shift. 

I was a wee bit surprised that Motherwell didn't come back stronger after going a goal down. They definitely had a lot more about them the other times we've played them this season. 

Funny season. Was supposed to be the start of the rebuild and I suppose that's what we got. Still a few players short but if we can hang on key staff there's no reason for us not to be pushing for top 6. 

Scott is by no means the finished article but some of his hold up play was better today, I think his recent game time is improving him.  Still think a year with Alloa with a January call back option would be best for next season.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did any Saints fan see the clearance off the line, was it hand ball. 

Honestly didn't see it so can't help with that. Linesman on that side seemed like he miscalled at least one offside. 

Our second penalty claim looked very strong to me though. 

Don't think the ref had a brilliant game but not to the extent it changed the outcome . Quite a balanced level of pishness. 

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Honestly didn't see it so can't help with that. Linesman on that side seemed like he miscalled at least one offside. 

Don't think the ref had a brilliant game but not to the extent it changed the outcome . Quite a balanced level of pishness. 

Strange hair line too

From where I was in the main stand it looked like it hit his chest and rolled down his arm - a pen for me but can see why it wasn’t given

52 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did any Saints fan see the clearance off the line, was it hand ball. 

My view was completely blocked as well but reports are saying TV pictures showed it was handball. Nightmare for Colin Steven as these are the big calls you don't want to get wrong on your first Premiership appointment. 

Tbf it was his first time reffing at this level, he looked a bit overawed by it all, and was easily swayed by the players, but I didn't think any decision was overly controversial.

In saying that, this photo makes it look like Tanser has handled it..

18980011_450_450_73045_0_fit_0_cd966d000

My view was blocked by Clark’s sprawling dive. I expected to see the ball hit the back of the net after it flew past him so was pleasantly surprised to see Tanser in behind him. Those who have seen replays certainly think it was a penalty though. 

How that tackle on Davidson in the second half wasn’t penalised I’ll never know. Looked a nailed on penalty. If Tanser had taken and scored it, he’d have managed more league than all of our strikers this season. 

Being having a few niggling doubts about Murray recently but he's been back to his best the last couple of games. The midfield had a much better balance to it today with Wotherspoon back and Davidson given more freedom to be the supporting runner. Craig was good again and, although we definitely need a deep-lying playmaker in the summer, there's no doubt Craig's done all that could have realistically been asked of him.

Always felt O'Halloran just needed games and hopefully a pre-season will see him back to his very best.

A poor result and performance today and an overall poor season is petering out with a poor ending. Hopefully that's the last we'll see of that Claret 'away' kit that we seem insistent on wearing every away match. 

Having seem the Tanser call from behind the goals, he doesn’t move his arm out to stop the ball and if anything it hits his shoulder and maybe rolls down onto a hand. I think to call it a deliberate attempt to stop the ball with his hand would be harsh. Obviously I’d want it if it was the other way around, but totally understand why it wasn’t.

Motherwell one stopped on the line looked a good shout for a pen, but then the foul on Kerr from the cross into the box was a stonewaller, so swings and roundabouts.

Some great periods of passing from Saints on Saturday, none more so than the liquid football for the second goal.  And fair play to Wotherspoon and Kane, who both made excellent contributions in the build up to it.

44 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Motherwell one stopped on the line looked a good shout for a pen, but then the foul on Kerr from the cross into the box was a stonewaller, so swings and roundabouts.

Some great periods of passing from Saints on Saturday, none more so than the liquid football for the second goal.  And fair play to Wotherspoon and Kane, who both made excellent contributions in the build up to it.

Wotherspoon and Kane contributed to both goals. It was wotherspoon’s ball over the top and then Kane picking up a ball he was second favourite for that won the penalty. Thought both played really well on Saturday. 

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Wotherspoon and Kane contributed to both goals. It was wotherspoon’s ball over the top and then Kane picking up a ball he was second favourite for that won the penalty. Thought both played really well on Saturday. 

Mixed bag from Kane for me. Some excellent stuff, but then 4 or 5 instances where he messed up at key moments which would have led to chances or goals.

If he can get that bit of composure, especially when in front of goal, then we'll have a very good striker on our hands.  He is certainly worrying opposition defenders these days though, with his closing down, winning headers and runs in behind you can tell he's never giving them a moments peace.