St Johnstone vs Motherwell - Saturday 11th May

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hilariously soft.

Really? Thought it looked the right decision from my angle. Kane gets in front of Dunne, who defends as he usually does by using his body.

Saints played pretty well at times and certainly deserve the lead. Can we hold onto one this week though...

We started brightly, albeit with a bit too much aimless punting and too many basic passing mistakes. Motherwell improved as the first-half wore on, but we were probably good value for our half-time lead. It was an enjoyable 2nd half performance. We played with a lot of attacking purpose and determination to win any 50/50s. Overall, plenty to be positive about. An improvement on last season's final placing with a lot of strengthening to do in the summer. Time to make an assault on that top six again.

Edited by The Real Saints

57 minutes ago, Radford said:

Really? 

To me looked soft, but I dont get a great angle on some things from my seat, looked like the touch on Kane wasnt enough to send him down.

Motherwell were incredibly soft today, Dundee United levels of soft. They'll have to be careful not to fall into that trap. Turnbull is clearly class but Ayribi is clearly one of those players who looks decent but doesnt ever actually do anything. Hasties cameo at the end was genuinely hilarious aswell, do Rangers fans genuinely believe they have a talent there? :lol:

Was surprised how well MOH up front worked, hes usually a bit aimless but he was linking up well. Stick Wright in for Wotherspoon and that would be a decent side. The rest performed as we know they can, Craig and Davidson are easily our best central pairing, absolutely strolled that game.

Good performance from saints - probably our best we’ve played against a non-relegation haunted diddy this year. Davidson and Craig were excellent, Wotherspoon gave us balance and probably played as well today as he has all season and O’Halloran has picked up form over the last couple of weeks. Thought Kennedy was quiet and Kane was fine until he got near a shooting chance. Gordon was imperious and the rest of the defence played well too. 

Ariyibi loves a dive and Hastie’s (who was dreadful when he came on) reception was hilarious. 

Really happy with that. Team played well in the main but individually as well there were a good few you could pick out.

Gordon was very strong and has done himself no harm at all with his performances since the split. Tanser linked well going forward and stood up with ease to Cadden and especially Hastie, who was made to look like a competition winner. It's Motherwell that have landed the jackpot with him though.

Second week running, Davidson was the player of old, all over the park and driving us on. Wotherspoon brings a balance and Craig showed all his experience with the job he did on Turnbull.

Again I thought Kane had a good game and was involved in both goals. I know he doesn't always make the right decision and his finishing sometimes isn't the best but he's developing a real knack of nicking in ahead of defenders. His game intelligence is improving.

Maybe the big positive, when you look at it over the last two games, is O'Halloran. Much sharper and far more confident now that we'll see the player we know back next season. Exciting to think of having him, Kennedy and Wright available. Challenge is there for Swanson to force his way in to that conversation.

Braw.

Very comfortable 3 points in the end. Surprised at how little Motherwell troubled us considering the bottom six title was at stake.  

For all the talk of us needing a new central midfielder, and we do, Liam Craig and Murray Davidson (and Callachan) have pretty much dominated midfield in all four games post-split. Possibly not quite enough to get us competing with the top teams, but far better than anything the bottom six has to offer.  And Liam Craig's Maradona spin away from two players in central midfield in the second half was great to watch.

Kennedy's quietest game for us. But O'Halloran looks like he could be back to top form for us next season with a good pre-season and staying injury free. Hendry lively again when he came on.

All 4 across the back strolled it, but thought Zander looked a bit flappy with a few of his saves.

Typical from Kane. Some great work, commitment and running, some decent link up play, and did well to run across Dunne to draw the foul for the penalty, but some of his finishing was awful, and had a couple of great opportunities to put MOH through but messed up a 10 yard pass each time.  I guess that jeckyll and Hyde thing is just going to be the way of it with him.

Nice touch from the manager to give Shaughnessy his final couple of minutes in a Saints shirt at McDiarmid.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

For all the talk of us needing a new central midfielder, and we do, Liam Craig and Murray Davidson (and Callachan) have pretty much dominated midfield in all four games post-split. Possibly not quite enough to get us competing with the top teams, but far better than anything the bottom six has to offer.  And Liam Craig's Maradona spin away from two players in central midfield in the second half was great to watch.

Was just thinking that. With those three, and Gordon, really stepping up, theres an argument the only starting position we desperately need quality is up front.

Obviously need depth, and the aim would be for those players to challenge/replace, but I'd be happy with that starting eleven next year, and they're all contracted. A nice base to build on.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was just thinking that. With those three, and Gordon, really stepping up, theres an argument the only starting position we desperately need quality is up front.

Obviously need depth, and the aim would be for those players to challenge/replace, but I'd be happy with that starting eleven next year, and they're all contracted. A nice base to build on.

It's been said, but would love to see how our season turned out if we'd stuck with that centre midfield combination after the winter break.  Did Tommy blow the title by signing Sean Goss? ...

Good number of Motherwell supporters through today for an end of season game (about 400?).  The hatred towards Hastie was unexpected, fair play.  Was surprised the manager put him on after the abuse he suffered just warming up. Seeing he's not there next season, I was wondering if there was any point?  (Seventh place prize money I guess).

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It's been said, but would love to see how our season turned out if we'd stuck with that centre midfield combination after the winter break.  Did Tommy blow the title by signing Sean Goss? ...

The signing that won us the bottom six title imo. 

I thought that was our best midfield display for quite a while. Kennedy was quiet but the other three starters were all excellent.