2019/20 Scottish Cup

Incredible result for Penicuik. A long long time since I watched them regularly (I moved away from town in 2006 and my visits tapered off quickly), but it's safe to say that when I travelled to far flung outposts like Blackburn, Stoneyburn, Livingston, Whitburn and West Calder back in those days that I would never have set my compass further west, let alone aiming for Firhill.

I've got a huge soft spot for Thistle, so what I'm looking for here is Penicuik to take Thistle back to a televised replay, Thistle to win on penalties, and then Thistle to get on a run to Hampden.

Penicuik Athletic 3-0 Stenhousemuir

Seldom can a league side have been so ardently obliterated by opposition 29 places below in the league system. (That said perhaps it happened twice today given the Broxburn score).

First half Penicuik could have gone in 4 or 5 up... both strikers missed an absolute sitter from a squared ball off the counter-attack, they totalled messed up another superb break, blazed an opportunity just wide of the left post and put a free-kick narrowly wide. Visitors forced 1 flapped save for a corner. You thought "will there be a sucker punch" but in reality a rebounded penalty, header at corner, and bursting run from right wing put the hosts 3-0 up... and they still missed a couple more gilt-edged chances. I can't recall another Stenny attempt on target.

By the end of the game not only were chants of "OOOOH ROOKIE COOKIE" ringing round the ground but "EASY! EASY!" and "CAN WE PLAY YOU EVERY WEEK?". This from supporters of a side sat mid-table in tier 6, against an opponent occupying the playoff places in tier 4. In other circumstances the Stenny management should have been offering their resignation after FT... such was the humiliation meted-out in Midlothian. It brought back memories of Hawick beating us 3-2 at Shielfield. If I heard it right, a little boy in the enclosure was asking his parents why a team like that are "allowed" to play 2 levels above Penicuik when "they are so bad".

Remarkable scenes.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Yes a very sparse crowd at Glebe Park today. Annan very worthy winners, completely nullified Brechin’s danger man McManus who totally lacked any service. Tricky winger Matthew Knox was  also kept quiet.

Brechin looked disjointed and had no answer to Annan’s organisation and determination. I’ve no idea why the visitors resort to gamesmanship and time-wasting so often though-totally unnecessary when they were well on top.  I guess it’s called “game management” these days.

Cant remember Brechin having a serious effort on goal other than one hopeful long range punt late in the game. Annan are masters of defending deep and breaking fast, in numbers. They’ll give Edinburgh City a tough game in the next round.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50197010

Broxburn United continued their superb debut season in the Scottish Cup with a 3-0 victory over League Two side Stenhousemuir to advance to the third round.

Fellow amateur side Penicuik Athletic also overcame the odds against a League Two side with a 3-0 win over Stenhousemuir.

giphy.gif&key=5ad1e2625d919e654b478a91a3

32 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Broxburn United continued their superb debut season in the Scottish Cup with a 3-0 victory over League Two side Stenhousemuir to advance to the third round.

Fellow amateur side Penicuik Athletic also overcame the odds against a League Two side with a 3-0 win over Stenhousemuir.

😂😂

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I remember (the resurrected) Edinburgh City being described as amateurs in one report years ago- to which I commented "better tell our treasurer then, it'll be music to his ears"

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Attendances:

1,289     Penicuik v Stenhousemuir
1,059     Broxburn v Cowdenbeath
    258     Brechin v Annan
    200     Gala v Formartine
?               Fort William v Albion Rovers

Cowdenbeath players probably spooked by the crowd size.

That is really grim for Brechin. 

14 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

😂😂

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I remember (the resurrected) Edinburgh City being described as amateurs in one report years ago- to which I commented "better tell our treasurer then, it'll be music to his ears"

Unsure whether calling them amateurs is better or worse than saying Linlithgow were LL in their TV announcement.

In fairness I've some sympathy for Stenhousemuir now... having to divide their squad across 2 different Scottish Cup ties in separate parts of the Lothians, no wonder they lost both 3-0...!

BSC Glasgow 2-1 Lochee Utd

So there's 10 non-leaguers in R3... 3 Highland, 3 Lowland, 3 East of Scotland, 1 Junior.

That's only been surpassed once in history... back in 2015-16 when 11 made it (7, 2, 1, 1)*.

*in 1947-48 there were 12 qualifiers; from 1933-34 to 1938-39 there were 16; and before 1931-32 between 16 & 22... but there was only 1 round before Last 32 so by definition all made it.