2019/20 Scottish Cup

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

BBC's tie in R1-R3 and their additional tie in R4-R6 are all Fridays.

I don’t think Friday is set in stone for R4-6. 

Indeed, none of the BBC’s games last season were on a Friday. 

I’m also not entirely sure it’s set in stone for R1-3; it’s just that’s the usual slot for football on the BBC Scotland channel. But as pointed out, it does put constraints on what they can show due to lack of floodlights at some grounds.

I don’t think Friday is set in stone for R4-6. 
Indeed, none of the BBC’s games last season were on a Friday. 
I’m also not entirely sure it’s set in stone for R1-3; it’s just that’s the usual slot for football on the BBC Scotland channel. But as pointed out, it does put constraints on what they can show due to lack of floodlights at some grounds.

To be fair there won’t be that many without lights as all L2 and Highland teams have them and (I think) all the Lowland teams who are left in too.

Just now, Wile E Coyote said:

It is. The viewing figures won't justify an opt-out on the main channel.

The viewing figures will be horrific (and i speak as a fan whose team was on the TV game). I would bet well under 4.000 viewers

There’s nothing stopping the BBC Scotland channel showing a game at, say, lunchtime on a Saturday. They’re allowed to broadcast outside their core hours where needs dictate, such as for First Minister’s Questions and, just yesterday (and last week, before it was abandoned), the Camanachd Cup Final. 

9 minutes ago, The Master said:

Well if R1-3 are shown on the BBC Scotland channel the games can't be before 7pm as that's when it starts broadcasting, which kinda limits it just to the usual Friday.

Edit: didn't realise the shinty was at 3pm on Saturday. But there's a gap in the normal Championship coverage for the 19th so it's likely to be then.

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, Clayhole Blue said:

To be fair there won’t be that many without lights as all L2 and Highland teams have them and (I think) all the Lowland teams who are left in too.

Everyone in HL has lights, and everyone in LL except Civil Service Strollers (who are currently installing) and Vale of Leithen (who are bottom). In terms of this year's R2 the Junior qualifiers Auchinleck and Lochee are the only unlit participants.

As part of well-documented pyramid shenanigans last season: SFA Board also decided lighting has become mandatory for SFA licences going forward. Most members have till next year to get them. This was justified on the grounds of facilitating replays (even though they're on Saturdays until R3) and facilitating TV ties (even though most clubs will never be chosen), but it does mean that soon the only unlit clubs in the competition would be qualifiers (like Auchinleck, Lochee and Camelon)... whether all such lights are good enough for HD TV broadcast may be a different matter, of course.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Well if R1-3 are shown on the BBC Scotland channel the games can't be before 7pm as that's when it starts broadcasting, which kinda limits it just to the usual Friday.

Edit: didn't realise the shinty was at 3pm on Saturday. But there's a gap in the normal Championship coverage for the 19th so it's likely to be then.

BBC are pushing Friday night football. They've left gaps in their normal Championship/Challenge Cup tempo for R1 & R2 - and don't have any Championship games to choose from on R3, R4 or R5 weekends.

EDIT: Incidentally with Buckie having overtaken Fraserburgh atop HL, you've got HL leader v LL leader for second round running: this time being Bonnyrigg v Buckie.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not really an obvious pick for their TV match. Deveronvale/Spartans v Queen's Park maybe the likely shout - certainly if Spartans given their rep - or perhaps Albion Rovers v Fort William?

Berwick's = "dire".

I'd say Bonnyrigg v Buckie or Penicuik v Stenhousemuir would be good choices but doubt the Beeb see it that way.

BBC are pushing Friday night football. They've left gaps in their normal Championship/Challenge Cup tempo for R1 & R2 - and don't have any Championship games to choose from on R3, R4 or R5 weekends.

EDIT: Incidentally with Buckie having overtaken Fraserburgh atop HL, you've got HL leader v LL leader for second round running: this time being Bonnyrigg v Buckie.
Talbot are in the early stages of installing lights. Can't recall whats been done thus far, Talbot fan would be able to clarify.

8 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Talbot are in the early stages of installing lights. Can't recall whats been done thus far, Talbot fan would be able to clarify.

Groundwork has been done so far. Target is to have them working for the start of next season

whether all such lights are good enough for HD TV broadcast may be a different matter, of course.

Wonder if Penicuik might struggle with their ~120 lux, Bonnyrigg should be ok at ~250 IIRC. 

9 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

End of the season for the actual lights from what I've read on here/fb. Edit: see above 😄

Edited by Ginaro

Everyone in HL has lights, and everyone in LL except Civil Service Strollers (who are currently installing) and Vale of Leithen (who are bottom). In terms of this year's R2 the Junior qualifiers Auchinleck and Lochee are the only unlit participants.

As part of well-documented pyramid shenanigans last season: SFA Board also decided lighting has become mandatory for SFA licences going forward. Most members have till next year to get them. This was justified on the grounds of facilitating replays (even though they're on Saturdays until R3) and facilitating TV ties (even though most clubs will never be chosen), but it does mean that soon the only unlit clubs in the competition would be qualifiers (like Auchinleck, Lochee and Camelon)... whether all such lights are good enough for HD TV broadcast may be a different matter, of course.

In the FA Cup it's not unheard of for temporary floodlights to be used at lower league grounds to ensure adequate lighting for TV purposes. 

Sutton Utd did it for their tie against Arsenal a few seasons ago IIRC. Presumably their permanent lights are fine for occasional televised evening games in the National League but not for an FA Cup tie on the BBC.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

In the FA Cup it's not unheard of for temporary floodlights to be used at lower league grounds to ensure adequate lighting for TV purposes. 

Sutton Utd did it for their tie against Arsenal a few seasons ago IIRC. Presumably their permanent lights are fine for occasional televised evening games in the National League but not for an FA Cup tie on the BBC.

I would guess finances make this unrealistic,  TV fees to clubs in the FA Cup on BBC will be 10's of thousands of pounds.

The rumoured TV fee for teams televised in these early rounds is £2k per club. No idea how accurate that is but certainly seems feasible

10 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

I would guess finances make this unrealistic,  TV fees to clubs in the FA Cup on BBC will be 10's of thousands of pounds.

The rumoured TV fee for teams televised in these early rounds is £2k per club. No idea how accurate that is but certainly seems feasible

Sutton United played Arsenal in the last 16, they got £ 247,500 for being live on TV. Just to compare, if Talbot would win the Scottish cup whilst being live on TV for every single round, they would still get less money than Sutton United got from that one game against Arsenal. And they had a lot of prize money on top of it and their previous round's game against Leeds was live on TV as well. For that amount of money it's not unreasonable to ask a club like Sutton to invest in temporary light improvements.

So that comparison is unfair really. Let's also not forget that Sutton are a full-time team with a lot more money than any Scottish non-league team, including Talbot.

10 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

£2k per club featured in R1

£3k per club featured in R2

£5k per club featured in R3

£32.5k per club featured in R4-1/4 finals

£480k per club in each semi final & final.

I’m sure I read that somewhere, may have changed since then though.