2019/20 Scottish Cup

Just now, craigkillie said:

At the moment, getting your license guarantees you entry every single year (as well as the possibility of a bye in the preliminary rounds) regardless of how good you are on the park. Unlicensed clubs can only reach the Scottish Cup by earning their way there through some sort of success - if your name isn't Auchinleck Talbot then you're probably going to be qualifying one year in three at best.

You've just highlighted the flaw.  We already see up north that Banks O'Dee can sit outside the Pyramid, dominate the Junior game, helped by SFA payments, and turn down HL entry.  Talbot are now becoming the same.  Reap the benefits without any of the committments (although BoD were in the right place at the right time to get a Licence, which upset Talbot when they tried and were turned down)

There's a grand total of 8 qualifying routes into the Scottish Cup.

4x Junior, 3x Senior and ONE amateur. It's making a mountain out of mole hill.

Restricting it to just license holders when floodlights are now required and the likes of BM suggesting covered seating might be a requirement seems unreasonable.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Converts to removing the entry of non-licensed clubs to the Scottish Cup at the same time that Blackburn became licensed. The two things are completely unlinked.

No further questions your honour.

Nope, as I said nothing to do with Blackburn if you go and read back my posts. 

When lights became a Licence requirement (which did not affect Blackburn at all) and clubs who had already spent considerable amounts of money on licencing work and were effectively shat on, that is when my opinion changed.  These clubs had already made the committment to move into the Pyramid, leaving behind Junior football, in order to progress themselves on and off the park. They bought into what the SFA wanted clubs to do, and then they were kicked in the baws.  Some clubs rose to the challenge, some are trying to, and sadly for some it won't be possible.

Meanwhile, clubs continue to enter whilst meeting no requirements.

In my opinion, that is no longer tenable.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's a grand total of 8 qualifying routes into the Scottish Cup.

4x Junior, 3x Senior and ONE amateur. It's making a mountain out of mole hill.

Restricting it to just license holders when floodlights are now required and the likes of BM suggesting covered seating might be a requirement seems unreasonable.

The SFA have also cut the grant money available through the Scottish Football Partnership (presumably to save money), so even harder to meet large financial outlays. Rod Petrie was tackled on that at the EoS meeting.  Licence requirements become more demanding financially whilst grant awards reduce. Double whammy. Lights aren't cheap.

At some point, clubs are going to be asking why non-licenced clubs can access the Scottish Cup whilst grants available to help clubs who have bought into the Pyramid and become Licenced are reduced.

I can understand why people don't want this to change and like the idea of Amateur and Junior clubs getting access, I used to, but the picture has changed. If and when seating becomes a further requirement that is another large financial committment to meet.

I have always argued that the Scottish cup should be as all in as possible. No restriction should be in place, of course it would also be great for all clubs to be involved in the pyramid, and a licensing system that extended below tier 5.

As for shamateurism, we really should be getting rid of separate forms, never been a problem with me that some pay players, let’s just have it above board.

21 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I have always argued that the Scottish cup should be as all in as possible. No restriction should be in place, of course it would also be great for all clubs to be involved in the pyramid, and a licensing system that extended below tier 5.

As for shamateurism, we really should be getting rid of separate forms, never been a problem with me that some pay players, let’s just have it above board.

I don't disagree, the Scottish Cup should be inclusive not exclusive, but Licencing is making that more and more difficult (perhaps deliberately).  All I am saying is that there should be a level playing field for all clubs who are allowed to enter. Everyone should meet a minimum requirement.  Whether that means an Entry level Licence or a lower level Licence than Entry which doesn't include floodlights I'm not sure.

However one of the reasons given for dropping floodlights into the requirements was that SPFL clubs complained about the possibility of having to play replays on a midweek afternoon at clubs with no lights (a rare occurence).  If that were true, why do they still admit clubs into the compeition who don't have them, whilst using that as a reason not to provide a Licence to others.

Edited by Burnie_man

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I don't disagree, the Scottish Cup should be inclusive not exclusive, but Licencing is making that more and more difficult (perhaps deliberately).  All I am saying is that there should be a level playing field for all clubs who are allowed to enter. Everyone should meet a minimum requirement.  Whether that means an Entry level Licence or a lower level Licence than Entry which doesn't include floodlights I'm not sure.

However one of the reasons given for dropping floodlights into the requirements was that SPFL clubs complained about the possibility of having to play replays on a midweek afternoon at clubs with no lights (a rare occurence).  If that were true, why do they still admit clubs into the compeition who don't have them, whilst using that as a reason not to provide a Licence to others.

While the qualifying routes are going to have to be looked at. I don't think they will ever be gone completely now they've been established. The Amateur entrant is just one entrant and I doubt you'll see the EoS and SoS give support to depriving the majority of their members a chance at the Scottish Cup.

I think the bigger problem was that the lack of floodlights meant these replays had to go ahead on Saturdays and thus disrupted the League programme for SPFL clubs - that then impacted potentially on sponsors, hospitality and crowds for League fixture postponed with those games going midweek.

There are 8 qualifying slots... but not all get used.

SOSL's has been needed once (Crichton in 2008-09)? BoD has rendered null the North Juniors slot with 4 straight league titles. It's several years since EOSL's was used, and less likely going forward.

Basically you're talking the South East Shield which is setup to ensure a non-member qualifies and a different team each year; the Amateur Cup; the East Juniors (now playoff between 2 district leagues); and 2 West Junior clubs by its slot and Junior Cup... even then Talbot sometimes 'do the double' and won 11 in 10yrs i.e. 50%+.

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 00:14, HibeeJibee said:

BBC currently have all ties - including their own televised Friday night game - listed as 11am on Saturday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-cup/scores-fixtures

They don't seem to know Linlithgow beat Jeanfield a week ago, either.

Noticed that as well, strange.

2 hours ago, true_rover said:
5 hours ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:
Sky Sports was the same yesterday.

It's almost like it isn't the BBC or Sky getting it wrong, rather whatever (clearly dreadful) company they outsource doing the fixtures to.

They both get their results and stats from Optra.

Don't get me started on the utterly dreadful BBC Football fixtures page.

In this age of cookies and what not, would it not be within the wit of man to allow me someone to personalise the page, so I they don't have to plough through 3rd tier English women's football, and the highly sought after results from last night's Brazilian league matches to get the information I they are actually interested in.