Annan Athletic vs Stenhousemuir/ Stenhousemuir vs Annan Athletic

Tony Wallace on the wing now. [emoji23] Spent my summer holidays playing football with him in secondary and the boy was incredible, the fact he is literally playing well and has played in near enough every position on the park in the SPFL doesn't surprise me one bit. RB/CH/CM/LM/RM or uptop, what a boy

Thought Stenny would win this, early goal for them Saturday and they're right back in it. McGuigan will 100 percent score Saturday

Fair play to some of the Stenny supporters elsewhere in this thread but I'd be very anxious about the second leg after this evening's performance. We were miles off it, with the wrong starting XI and the wrong tactics for the circumstances, against a good Annan Athletic side with one foot in the play-off final. They were better than us all over the park - Steven Swinglehurst and Ayrton Sonkur headed everything that came in their direction, Lewis Strapp had a great game at left-back, Tony Wallace and Chris Johnston played well on the flanks and Aidan Smith was a perpetual nuisance up top. There's a perception that Annan are little more than hammer-throwers but there's silk as well as steel in there.
Not that we gave them anything to think about. Other than a chance that fell inside the box to David Marsh midway through the second half, I don't think we tested Alex Mitchell at all. It was just long ball after long ball up towards Mark McGuigan. Most of them were nowhere near him; the ones that were, the two big centre-backs were on top of him. Playing Marsh in the midfield of a narrow 4-4-2 might have worked on a ploughed field against a terrible Brechin City side but it was useless here and we had no-one prepared to put their foot on the ball and pass it forward. I have no idea what Russell Dingwall brings to the team and the more I see of Kieron Gibbons, the more I see someone who drifts through matches without influencing them (at least we've got him for another season!) It was crying out for the involvement of Mark Ferry or Thomas Halleran, so God only knows what Colin McMenamin was thinking when he removed Alan Cook for Connor Duthie first. I thought McMenamin got his substitutes bang on against Brechin but they were poor here and made no impact. We badly missed Greg Hurst's spark and pace up front.
The two goals were poor. The first saw Andy Munro lose possession on his own byline, and the Annan player cut the ball back to Johnston for a clinical finish from 12 yards. The second saw Graeme Smith appear to misjudge a header and let it loop over him and just over the line. Someone tried to hack it away but it was too late. Two bad goals. Annan were dominant in the first half and kept us arm's length in the second, threatening to score at the death.
I hope Hurst is back for the second leg on Saturday, and I imagine Conor McBrearty will be back from his suspension after his red card in Brechin. Two goals is hard to come back from but it is not insurmountable. One thing's for sure though - play like we did tonight and we're going down.

I miss your Tell Him He’s Pele report cards and weekly reviews.

29 minutes ago, Ancient Warrior said:

Pay at the gate - £12 and £7

Well done to Stenny for lowering the prices for tomorrows game hope you get a big crowd on the day, will be coming along to this one to cheer on the Galabankies  to victory :)

20 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Well done to Stenny for lowering the prices for tomorrows game hope you get a big crowd on the day, will be coming along to this one to cheer on the Galabankies  to victory :)

Hugely small-time behaviour all in but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Stirling Albion supporter.

24 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Hugely small-time behaviour all in but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Stirling Albion supporter.

Do you think any of your local rivals  would  do anything less, than cheer on the opposition. Lets face it if you do overcome the odds and get a victory tomorrow over Annan which takes you into the playoff final then good luck. Seem to recall Stenny supporters having a laugh at Falkirk`s relegation, the boots on the other foot now. :)

I get coming to games as a neutral but "cheering" on a team you don't support is tin pot in the extreme. Each to their own though and enjoy the game.

Liverpool and Spurs can't touch what is about to go down tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, marco44 said:

The only real flashpoint on Tuesday night (and I use the word very lightly) was when a steward, who looked like he was almost dead or dying, threatened to chuck out some of the travelling support for swearing (swearing as it "mon tae fuck Stenny!"). Strange old dude.

In a week of incredible shocks, I can't see another one happening here.
Plucky yokels Annan to be sent packing by the higher league side.

The shock will be if Stenny win tomorrow 🤣

40 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

In a week of incredible shocks, I can't see another one happening here.

Plucky yokels Annan to be sent packing by the higher league side.

Knows his onions.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The only real flashpoint on Tuesday night (and I use the word very lightly) was when a steward, who looked like he was almost dead or dying, threatened to chuck out some of the travelling support for swearing (swearing as it "mon tae f**k Stenny!"). Strange old dude.

Think I know the one you mean - quite an excitable old chap .