Annan Athletic vs Stenhousemuir/ Stenhousemuir vs Annan Athletic

No thread for this yet.

Hoping we can win tonight, to make it more comfortable for Saturday. Here's hoping that Greg Hurst can score 1 or 2 tonight. He hasn't scored since his second game with us but has been excellent upfront with Mark. 

Going for a 2-1 win for the Warriors

A warm welcome back to Colin McMenamin - started his senior career at Annan.

Remember the time he gave me 2 complimentaries for Newcastle v Sunderland ; sound guy.

He's also too shrewd to under estimate Annan. Murphy has a well drilled unit who can play when they keep it on the ground.

Looking forward to it.  

I'm looking forward to this one. My last jaunt to Galabank was for a Scottish Cup replay in late 2013 - Stenny pulled it back from two goals down to eventually win 4-2. John Gemmell had his best game as a Warrior.

Annan Athletic should not be underestimated and have shown themselves to be a handy side over the course of the season. That said, we've been fairly solid in recent week's and Saturday's match showed we can get a bit nasty when we need to. I'd fancy us to prevail across the two legs and we'll either win or draw this evening.

Conor McBrearty is likely to be missing after collecting a red card against Brechin City so I imagine Kieron Gibbons will come in in his place. Other than that, we'll go for the same personnel and the same 3-5-2 system from the weekend:

- McGuigan - Hurst -

- Donaldson - Gibbons - Ferry - Dingwall - Reid -

- Neill - Marsh - Munro -

- Smith -

My own preference would be to swap in Sean Dickson (someone I didn't think would play for the club again!) for Russell Dingwall. I still don't know what Dingwall brings to the team, while Dickson really added a bit of composure when he appeared on Saturday. I'd also prefer to go with a 4-5-1 and have Ruaridh Donaldson and Alan Cook going down the left but you can't have it all.

See you all there!

Given that is the formation we have been playing for weeks now then I can't see it changing. Priority will be not losing. If we do lose by any more than 1 goal then we are in trouble as we've only won one league game by more than 1 goal all season. Although we did have success in the cup by a two goal margin, I recall. 

1 minute ago, beaver1 said:

Given that is the formation we have been playing for weeks now then I can't see it changing. Priority will be not losing. If we do lose by any more than 1 goal then we are in trouble as we've only won one league game by more than 1 goal all season. Although we did have success in the cup by a two goal margin, I recall. 

That’s the thing with cup ties, you end up playing teams far below the standard of our usual League 1 opposition and getting a false perspective! 

Serious laziness from myself here, but have entry prices been confirmed for the second leg at Ochilview yet?

I'm quite keen to see this Annan side in the flesh - especially wee Chris Johnston, who appears to have got his career back on track at Galabank. How are the rest of the ex Dumbarton contingent getting on? I always quite liked David 'Div/Goals' Wilson as a player, but he looked like someone who, at 24, needed to get a lot of football under his belt to make the most out of his talents. 

Getting game time now :-  37 games so far and 8 goals, a steady player.

James Creaney also doing well at full back with strong competition from on loan Lewis Strapp.

Also ex. Dumbarton Christian Nade has shed a few pounds since his arrival and seems to be enjoying his football 3 goals in 6 appearances.

2 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

Getting game time now :-  37 games so far and 8 goals, a steady player.

James Creaney also doing well at full back with strong competition from on loan Lewis Strapp.

Also ex. Dumbarton Christian Nade has shed a few pounds since his arrival and seems to be enjoying his football 3 goals in 6 appearances.

I'm glad to hear that. Technical ability wise he looked like he could be excellent, and he's got a great eye for a pass, he just played like a youth team player at times if that makes sense?

I forgot you had James. Maybe not the best player we've ever had, but a really good lad who was part of a very good team in 2011/12. Glad he's back in senior football after that serious heart scare he had a few years ago, I really thought that might've been it for him (in footballing terms, not life terms!).

Getting Christian enjoying himself and making him feel loved is the key to getting him playing well imo. During his first stint in the Championship he was sensational, during his second the general team spirit looked to be getting lower and lower and, with his well documented off-field problems, it looked to sap his confidence. The biggest misconception people have is that he's a targetman because of his size, but he's far, far better when he gets the ball into his feet - as you'll have seen he's the definition of a guy with a 'good touch for a big man'.

I agree with you about Nade.

There was a lot of strange looks at his size when he first signed ,but he has obviously put the work. Very sharp in scoring to start our 2 goal comeback against Sirling Albion then in the last home game was as cool as a cucumber to lob the goalie for our second against Cowdenbeath.  Good experience for the 2 local young lads Smith and Muir who are both on fire just now.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Serious laziness from myself here, but have entry prices been confirmed for the second leg at Ochilview yet?

I'm quite keen to see this Annan side in the flesh - especially wee Chris Johnston, who appears to have got his career back on track at Galabank. How are the rest of the ex Dumbarton contingent getting on? I always quite liked David 'Div/Goals' Wilson as a player, but he looked like someone who, at 24, needed to get a lot of football under his belt to make the most out of his talents. 

You've forgotten Tony Wallace!

47 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

You've forgotten Tony Wallace!

31 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

He came to us from Stranraer while out on loan at East Kilbride. Didn't know he had been at Dumbarton !

Of course. How could I forget Mr Playoffs himself. A man who couldn't buy a goal for Dumbarton, only to become unplayable and score three in four playoff games.

He's another one who I thought might end up being lost to senior football. He seemed to bounce around the LL and HL for a wee bit pretty aimlessly.

Also (I think I'm right in saying) the last player we got a fee for? Morton owed us his development money when he signed for them under Allan Moore.

40 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It'll probably be £13 as normal - but don't quite me on that!

If it's more than that then I'm going to start sending borderline creepy fanmail into the BBC addressed to you.

Spoiler

Well I do that anyway, but I'll send even more in...

1 minute ago, Ross Forbes said:

If it's more than that then I'm going to start sending borderline creepy fanmail into the BBC addressed to you.

Reveal hidden contents

Well I do that anyway, but I'll send even more in...

Just come down on Saturday anyway, I'll buy you two bottles of beer.

5 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Just come down on Saturday anyway, I'll buy you two bottles of beer.

Is this a good time to mention that I'm one of very few members of P&Bs teetotal club?

I'll 100% make myself known if I see you about though. Given Stenhousemuir have been pretty good everytime they've played us this season I feel like I could be some sort of lucky charm.

With respect gonny sling your hook and stop making this about Dumbarton and jobbers that played with them back in 'nam. I couldn't give two fucks.

Easy win tonight for The Mighty against these hammer throwers. A brace each for Hursty and Goals in a 3-1 win. Annan only scoring direct from a throw in.